News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:16PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 277
Total: 279

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

What winds people up is the obvious waste which occurs in many spheres of life mainly due to poor management of one sort or another.  Take the food industry (agriculture, production, wholesale and retail. )  the food wastage as a whole runs into millions of tons, possibly billions.

Governments changing/dropping schemes which have already had £millions spent on them, then the £millions to pay in compensation.

Councils waste thousands/millions on schemes which are then reversed because they were not effective.

Are those persons made redundant angry(sometimes), bloody right they are, and who would blame them  >:(

Progress is NOT always progress.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

miriam

Nomad it's progress
Then they do a uturn

Blackcat3

Do any price integrity staff still do pv cycle been told we don't do it after this week?

sammy

Any other stores been told there counters will not be reopening, no redundancy they are going to try and give us jobs within store

StinkyPoo

No, not been told that. We've only been doing it again for a few weeks. How much workload do you tend to get? Most nights we have virtually nothing and just fill up. Think we must be way over hours!

Blackcat3

Only promo nights is there a fair amount of labels other nights not many at all pv was a good chunk of our hours

StinkyPoo

Quote from: sammy on 22-07-20, 05:58PM
Any other stores been told there counters will not be reopening, no redundancy they are going to try and give us jobs within store

Yes, the staff from counters we currently have on nights were informed last night. Think it's just deli and pizza counter. They were totally shocked, no idea where they are going, just have to fill in availability form.

Munchkin

My store been told counters closing staff will be relocated to other departments on their current contracted hours...... All seems a bit fishy to me lol no redundancies  offered no response as yet from  uselessdaw individual briefings start next week completion expected within 6 wks

BarryZola

Basically if you're not offered a reasonable alternative then it should surely be a redundancy situation. Can't make you just change department and hours etc if you are not in agreement. If they are deciding to close the department then they may have to offer redundancy. There may be reasons why it's not suitable for you to work on other departments such as mobility or mental health issues etc. They have to offer you a reasonable alternative on similar hours, unless you are happy to change hours and role. Otherwise it's redundancy.

Nomad

Losing the ability to maintain your product knowledge and/or skill level may also be unreasonable.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Mennsa

Are we expecting any more bakery changes in 2021? Just wondering if part bake bakeries have been a success since they changed over earlier in the year.

Biscuit tin

Part bakeries? Did that even actually happen in the end. They just shafted half the staff and carried on making the same stuff.

Mennsa

We lost two hours of production a day and 3 full time staff. Hoping we go part bake in the next 12 months. Senior team cant understand that we're 30% down on takings running on 2 people a day!

Angel22

Quote from: Dorset on 11-04-09, 11:07PM
It looks like the workforce is being run down on purpose, i think bad trading results are on the cards and cuts are already being made. I have a feeling of deja vu having seen this all before at a number of other companies i have worked. The management have now completely lost the workforce and i see nothing ahead but derision, dereliction and destruction.

I agree with you and my thoughts for a long time is that they are running down the staff not making repairs and maintenance unless really needed in order to up the payback to share holders and also make it attractive to anyone wanting to "buy" Tesco. As the media seem to think along with Sainsbury we are the next two being eyed up. 

Bean23

Anyone noticed on work and pay some  line manager roles have  been frozen I was told about this so I checked anyone else heard anything

BUY TESLA STOCK

When 4/5 TMs call in sick due to covid they will soon realise all they need is 1 and more GAs.  (-*-)

kaled78

I think the next people in the firing line of job cuts due to work and pay will be the wages clerks,not managers

Morris999

Quote from: Bean23 on 19-12-21, 11:46AM
Anyone noticed on work and pay some  line manager roles have  been frozen I was told about this so I checked anyone else heard anything

What do you mean by frozen?

spike_pkh

Quote from: Tesla on 19-12-21, 01:46PM
When 4/5 TMs call in sick due to covid they will soon realise all they need is 1 and more GAs.  (-*-)

80% of the CAs in our store would do absolutely nothing if not overseen by management, working to your best ability seems to be a thing of the past. If anyone needs to be cut it is senior team and above, and poor performing TMs. Good TMs bring alot to stores. If Tesco really want to save money they should bring in performance related pay increases to CAs. Those of us that work hard would get the pay increases we deserve and those that don't will either sort out their performance and attitudes or not get any.

NightAndDay

Funny that, 80% of managers do nothing regardless. The valuable work is done by the operators, (your CAs (including checkouts, though hopefully one day all stores will be cashless so will be redundant) shelf fillers, stock controllers and admins (yes, even the wage clerks when they do their job properly) and Shift Leaders). The rest are parasites feeding off the profits generated by these hard workers. All a manager is is a regulator, an enforcer of head offices budget constraints, policy and implementator of their "strategy" (which mainly comprises of new failed processes that get withdrawn a month or 2 after implementation and new store standard metrics with a basis from flimsy pseudo-psychology or a TED podcast).

Now don't get me wrong, innovation is truly valuable, but the great innovators rarely work for Tesco, there's been greater small scale innovations from CAs and SLs (which the SM takes credit for, 100% of the time from what I seen) than head office staff. The real innovators don't have a background in Retail (not primarily at least) but technology and business, cashless stores, the self service till, these are all innovations which justifies the salaries of the people who came up with it, if we compare this with the decision to put a lock on the waste cages to combat shrink, well... it's not really the same now is it.

BUY TESLA STOCK

lucgeo

Quote from: spike_pkh on 19-12-21, 09:37PM

80% of the CAs in our store would do absolutely nothing if not overseen by management, working to your best ability seems to be a thing of the past. If anyone needs to be cut it is senior team and above, and poor performing TMs. Good TMs bring alot to stores. If Tesco really want to save money they should bring in performance related pay increases to CAs. Those of us that work hard would get the pay increases we deserve and those that don't will either sort out their performance and attitudes or not get any.

A team is only as good as their manager...useless manager = lazy team!

Performance related pay?? That's the SM and senior team skint then! They tried a similar thing with the WOW cards, useless waste of time. Managers, including SM handing them out to get feedback, and praising each other online! All to get praised for doing err...the job they're paid to do ???
That initiative was soon binned, especially as our SM was having the GA's fail their performance review if they hadn't received any feedback from customers or given out any...kind of hard when you work in the warehouse you Wally! Grievance put in, cards disappeared PDQ!! To be fair to the pointless partner, it was one of the very few occasions that she got verbal with the SM, stating customer feedback was something colleagues have no control over, so how can they improve it??

If I worked with someone who wasn't pulling their weight they'd soon be put right, subtle but direct approach always does the trick ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

performance review??? can't remember the last time i had one!!! gotta be at least 10 years ago.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 20-12-21, 03:37PM

A team is only as good as their manager...useless manager = lazy team!

Performance related pay?? That's the SM and senior team skint then! They tried a similar thing with the WOW cards, useless waste of time. Managers, including SM handing them out to get feedback, and praising each other online! All to get praised for doing err...the job they're paid to do ???
That initiative was soon binned, especially as our SM was having the GA's fail their performance review if they hadn't received any feedback from customers or given out any...kind of hard when you work in the warehouse you Wally! Grievance put in, cards disappeared PDQ!! To be fair to the pointless partner, it was one of the very few occasions that she got verbal with the SM, stating customer feedback was something colleagues have no control over, so how can they improve it??

If I worked with someone who wasn't pulling their weight they'd soon be put right, subtle but direct approach always does the trick ;)

Back in my day, useless managers (which for me was all of them except my last 2) suffered higher than normal turnover of staff among those were some that were extremely underemployed (myself being one) but this is Tesco we're on about, some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright.

Unfortunately useless managers aren't confined to just stores, but the People Partners and AMs as well, which is why even beyond the done to death us/them divide between CAs and leadership team, there's also infighting among the manager ranks simply because the AM and PM don't manage the SMs properly, hence we have the situation of capable SMs running training and low density stores and Star Spangled cowboys where every hour is amateur hour "running" big boy shops.

VladPutin

:D ;D

I do more work in a single day than most so-called managers could handle in a week. A manager's job is to make sure my holiday requests are authorised quickly, and to deal with things that are beneath me. For example, dealing with moaning customers or homo shopping pickers. That's all managers are good for.

Beyond that, your jobs are as worthless as every other aspect of the pitiable existence you laughably attempt to dignify with the term, "life".

PS: Merry Christmas. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk