News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 292
Total: 294

Dot Com Accidents

Started by I.AM_a driver, 22-12-06, 07:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali p

tescos response will be was his van loaded properly i.e in snake fashion. If so then this wouldn't have happened!  but these vans can be very unstable i have driven them! but the drivers that do not load that way appreciate their health more because you can end up with heavy orders at the top in some cases.

Youssarian

I've driven one of our vans on an unmade road plenty of times, but on one occasion the van rocked from side to side so violently that I thought I would tip over too!  Good job it didn't, I was right next to a lake...

I.AM_a driver

those vans have side steps so you can reach heavier trays and unload them while minimising risk to your back, and personally I'd rather that than be admitted to hospital for months to have reconstructive surgery done for road traffic accident trauma. Having said that these vans are safer than the older ones and anyone who can't handle it SAFELY (ie without rolling it) should be the first to get driver assessed and/or offered further driver training.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

ali p

I drove for over 8 years and had to finish in the end partly down to fact i had injured my back through bad design on a van  the only accident i had in that time were proven to be faults on vans i.e handbrakes giving way and faulty brakes. I agree the new design vans are a big improvement,but there should still be restrictions as stated by health and safety as to what weight should belifted above chest height. Even with the steps there is still the possibility of overbalancing and falling backwards whilst trying to remove a wedged tray from sprained racking.  Trust me i've been there and got the back to last from it!

hatless

quote:
Originally posted by ali p

but there should still be restrictions as stated by health and safety as to what weight should belifted above chest height. Even with the steps there is still the possibility of overbalancing and falling backwards whilst trying to remove a wedged tray from sprained racking.  Trust me i've been there and got the back to last from it!

It looks like hard work.  I know that drivers from Edinburgh 1 used to hate delivering to me.  The drivers had to park 150yds away because of railings on the pavement.  And then they would have to climb 4 flights of stairs to a top floor tenement flat.  My usual delivery always included 3 cases of beer/lager/cider, a case of value beans and a case of value tinned tomatoes.  It's not a job that I would volunteer for if I had a bad back.

jb66

quote:
Originally posted by hatless

quote:
Originally posted by ali p

but there should still be restrictions as stated by health and safety as to what weight should belifted above chest height. Even with the steps there is still the possibility of overbalancing and falling backwards whilst trying to remove a wedged tray from sprained racking.  Trust me i've been there and got the back to last from it!

It looks like hard work.  I know that drivers from Edinburgh 1 used to hate delivering to me.  The drivers had to park 150yds away because of railings on the pavement.  And then they would have to climb 4 flights of stairs to a top floor tenement flat.  My usual delivery always included 3 cases of beer/lager/cider, a case of value beans and a case of value tinned tomatoes.  It's not a job that I would volunteer for if I had a bad back.

Yeah they do hate delivering to you and everyone else, Edin 1 must have one of the worst areas, almost all drops in leith/city center is top floor!

sjay22

Don't know what store it was but I heard about a Dot Com driver driving straight past the house he was meant to be delivering to.  When he realised a few doors down he stopped without indicating, put it straight into reverse and without checking behind him just reversed all the way back to the house pushing the car behind him back with him!

master73

Here is a funny one.

One of our drivers decided to reverse van bearing in mind he had delivered shopping so should have been aware of his surroundings.
Well when he reversed he went straight into a lamp post and knocked it down.
He replied " I never knew it was there" so hence we all call him LAMPY...

Sorry mate

May the FORCE be with you always....

the poet

I look in my mirror and what do I see?
Theres a white van man following me.
'though I stick to the limit as I always do.
He's ducking and diving to find a way through.

The traffic is heavy so he cant overtake.
I'm not pulling over just for his sake!
A little patience he'll have to learn.
He has on his face a look of concern.

He's in and he's out over the line.
If he wants to try it,with me thats just fine.
But if he comes unstuck I will not give way.
Then so behind me he'll have to stay.

His patience is waning,he's out and he's in.
If he has a go then his chances are thin.
He's poised like a coiled spring ready to go.
Caution to the wind he's willing  to throw.

Well if he is quick,I can see a small gap.
It looks like he's gonna be a brave chap.
Will he make it? Well he thinks he can.
Blow me down with a feather! Its a home shopping van!

( A whole new meaning to Tesco Express)

spirit

Seems like Tesco Dot Comedy Driver is typical White Van Man /Woman:) ;D :);D >:D

scammster

im a dot comedy driver an just the other day while out on my route id just come down a steep hill an noticed some strange behaviour from the rear of the van, when i looked in the mirror my nearside rear wheels were sticking out about 2 feet by the time i stopped the van was sitting on the last 2 inches of drive shaft, pullmans do such a great job. :o

(Picture in the gallery. Nomad)

The Mrs

Welcome to VLH Scammster :) Glad you're ok and didn't have, what could have been, a serious accident.

The Mrs (Administrator)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

billybong

Hi scammster I do hope this incident has been reported to the Police and VOSA. >:D  ;)  :-[

Pleased nobody was hurt.:)

Pullmans need really looking into I have two suspected brake failure cases on Double Decked (DD) trailers that I have reported; still waiting for an answer though.>:(

Kindest regards Billybong.
          Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all.

scammster

Hiya billybong
 i dont expect it was reported to either but do think something should be done about it as the van was supposedly serviced 5 weeks befor ;D
 as i said befor pullmans do such a great job      :o      :o

EAT MY DUST!!!

batian

the same happened to a driver in my store.the wheel came off.found out afterwards the van had had the tyre changed the day before and the nuts had not been put back on properly.thankfully the driver was okay and no other vehicle involved.
another driver also left the store and braked at the first roundabout and lost all the chilled and frozen out the back as the door catches on the back gave way.

iworktoohard

truth be told, the old style dot com vans where the fridge/freezer is accessible at the back of the van were notorious for poor doors and shutters. many of them i see from other stores have cage ties wrapped around them to ensure they dont open whilst driving they are that bad.

ali p

i had a handbrake give way on me and smashed into back of car couldn't do reverse hill start from beind parked car without it.   Same scenario  mechanics had been working in yard on all the vans during the night giving them the full once over it even had a sticker in windscreen saying it had been done.    nothing ever became of it.

I.AM_a driver

"You shop, we Drip"

Tesco Van in deep water! (Wasn't me i swear!)
http://thisisbournemouth.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1847543.mostviewed.end_of_the_road.php
From the bournemouth echo. According to the article the driver is ok.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

scammster

what a bad week had to take my daughter to hospital for a night on Wednesday then Thursday a trip to the dentist to have 2 teeth out an to finish off Was working lastnight traveling down a county lane as i went round a right hand bend a car was coming towards me i braked an slid not sure if the car bothered to brake at all but needless to say it resulted in a head on luckily no one was hurt just a couple of bruised fingers.
they say it comes in three's so fingers crossed  ;D
have sent in a pic ;)

EAT MY DUST!!!

I.AM_a driver

glad you're ok, how bad was the damage to the van?

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

scammster

The car is a right off  :o  as for the van i was able to drive it back to the store (doing the last of my drops on route  ;D ) at the very least it will need new front grill, bumper an head light, it was quite an impact so could possibly be twisted an also a right off. Have emailed in a picture so maybe when Nomad is back it might get posted in the gallery.

EAT MY DUST!!!

I.AM_a driver

I had to loan a van to another store today, a wiseman's truck (rigid) had collided with one of their vans in the back yard and took half the front end with him. Heard the van will need new bonnet, front wings, grille, bumper and headlight assembly, but they didn't have any photos of the damage when they came to collect our van.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

crosspoints finest

DOT COM IS ON BIG ACCIDENT IF YOU ASK ME.

Coventry Crosspoints Finest.

scammster

I see my pic made it to the gallery [:I] Wb Nomad hope ya had a good break :) The van has now been repaired an arrived back at store yesterday not had chance to drive it again yet see if they done a good job of it ;D

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

I.AM_a driver

Is it the one on p14 of the gallery called 'smashing'. Nice photo, you were lucky to get out with only bruised fingers. I've been assigned our transit as my van every time i'm on shift, but i keep stalling it and its a push-button automatic! Bloody frustrating when you're in the middle of the road turning right.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk