Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

21-04-21, 03:22PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7696
  • Latest: Chrissy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51437
  • Total Topics: 1025
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Boxing Day  (Read 4278 times)

Amandabren

• VLH Supporter
Boxing Day
« on: 01-04-21, 03:45PM »
Hi. I am contracted to working Sundays. I have been told that this year as boxing day is a Sunday that I have to work it. I had booked it off.
Do I have to still work it?

octavia

Re: Boxing Day
« Reply #1 on: 01-04-21, 03:48PM »
NO

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #2 on: 01-04-21, 04:14PM »

Amandabren

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 01-04-21, 10:59PM »
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Is there anything written down saying that working boxing day is optional. So then I can show my manager.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 02-04-21, 05:40AM »
This is from Colleague Help Amandabren:

If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday falls. Colleagues in Scotland also do not have to work on 2nd January if they don’t want to and colleagues in Northern Ireland may select an additional day where they do not have to work if they don’t want to.

Cairney39

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 02-04-21, 08:28AM »
Im sure you still won’t have to work it, but it is important to remember 26th this year will not be a bank holiday or classed as the Boxing Day Bank Holiday by Tesco. This will be the Monday for stores. The last time this happened, stores were instructed that the Sunday, like the 26th would be voluntary for all colleagues. I haven’t seen any communication about it this year yet, but I fully expect it to come

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 02-04-21, 10:01AM »
Boxing Day is still Boxing Day whether or not the company choose to designate it a a bank holiday day or not.  As written above it is ambiguous so a strong argument for saying No, no buts!
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Theansweris42

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 02-04-21, 10:29AM »
Good morning all, regarding the 26/12. I have seen a briefing letter for store managers, which clearly states that Sunday is regarded as a normal working day for colleagues contracted to work Sundays, with the Bank Holiday moved to the Monday. This is for a store in England.
So, if one is contracted for the Sunday, a wise person would get the holiday in, quickly, and don't lose the signed off slip.

thecleaningwoman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 03-04-21, 10:45AM »
NO you dont have to work the 26th December2021 . This year the 25TH and 26TH are carried over to 27TH and 28th In the past TESCO has said if you use the 26th as a BH then you cant use 28th [which is for boxing day]  as a BH .YES The rule is if you start after 2009 then you can take a BH IF they can fill your hours but if not they CAN make you work the BH .Xmas day,Boxing day and New years day they cant make you does not matter when you started 

William91

« Reply #9 on: 03-04-21, 12:42PM »
I was told 28th not a Bank holiday because Tesco see Boxing Day as a normal working day therefore it is not carried over to the 28th. Mon 27th will be BH however.
« Last Edit: 03-04-21, 02:12PM by Nomad »

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 04-04-21, 09:03AM »
Saturday the 25th Dec will be classed by Tesco as a Bank Holiday. As Sundays can't be bank holidays the 26th will be a normal working day and instead Monday 27th will be classed as the Bank Holiday. Tuesday the 28th will be a normal working day for retail.

How Tesco treats those contracted to work Sundays is open to question. Last time Xmas  fell like this working was voluntary, as there is minimal if any public transport available. If compelled to work many would have to pay more for cabs to/from Tesco than they would actually earn from their shift and I'd expect absence to be Sky high.

There was also a growing campaign in 2020 amongst the public to give retail staff a 2 day Xmas break. Whether this will gain further traction this year is also open to debate. However if most other food retailers close there would be more pressure on us to do the same.

bornfree

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 05-04-21, 08:16AM »
Does anyone know how Christmas and Boxing Day will be worked out for nightshift? The old policy for non-work and pay stores (V2.8 Feb 2020) states there will be consultation between management and staff (news to me!) but the new Work and Pay policy (V3.9 March 2021) doesn't mention anything about this. The only mention of nights is to do with payments and premiums but not about which shifts they will be required to work.

Minnie Mouse

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #12 on: 06-04-21, 11:08AM »
Bornfree I work nights and in our store we are always off Xmas eve and Xmas night and work boxing night same for Hogmanay and New Years night

Nightworker23

« Reply #13 on: 11-04-21, 09:53PM »
Whenever boxing day falls on a Sunday, it has always been optional as to whether you work or not. Time off could be taken as hol, b/h, unpaid or a shift swap. But for some reason you couldn't be made to work if you didn't want to. I think it is a legal thing.

Jacks

« Reply #14 on: 12-04-21, 09:48AM »
Where do we stand when a 5 day worker Mon-Fri asks for Xmas Day and Boxing Day on 27th and 28th to benefit from the long weekend, can these be refused?. I know the policy on regarding Xmas and New Year holidays when these days fall during your contract hours.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 12-04-21, 04:51PM »
monday 27th is a tesco bank holiday anyway and you can book 28th as a bank holiday. you're entitled to your 2 days off and 2 bank holidays that week

Rad

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 13-04-21, 12:01AM »
Where do we stand when a 5 day worker Mon-Fri asks for Xmas Day and Boxing Day on 27th and 28th to benefit from the long weekend, can these be refused?. I know the policy on regarding Xmas and New Year holidays when these days fall during your contract hours.
Is christmas day not just like when a bank holiday falls on a Monday and colleagues work Tuesday to Saturday?  They don't use a bank holiday and work 5 days.  You use a bank holiday and work 4?
Be interesting to see the policy where it describes what lack of interest is suggesting?  I know this type of thing used to happen for people on varied working patterns.   Not sure how it works for fixed schedule? Eg mon to Friday.