Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

18-01-21, 02:14PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7247
  • Latest: Janette
Stats
  • Total Posts: 50319
  • Total Topics: 1015
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: New pay rise  (Read 15384 times)

Re: New pay rise
« Reply #25 on: 16-01-19, 08:54AM »

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #26 on: 16-01-19, 01:46PM »
"Substantial increase"  :D - heard it all before. USDAW are completely useless - all they're interested in is running soppy conferences for their loyal activists,  or spending YOUR money lobbying for a Labour government. Our pay rises are directly linked to increases in the NLW - and you don't need USDAW for that.

person7

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #27 on: 16-01-19, 04:34PM »

twisted

« Reply #28 on: 16-01-19, 05:29PM »

barafear

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #29 on: 16-01-19, 07:29PM »

person7

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #30 on: 17-01-19, 12:58AM »

• Know All
« Reply #31 on: 17-01-19, 05:14AM »
Some managers are notorious when it comes to paperwork. I know for a fact that following the November 2018 pay rise (and subsequent new contract) that my store is still waiting for over 100 contracts to be returned to HR.

barafear

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #32 on: 17-01-19, 05:20PM »
« Last Edit: 17-01-19, 05:21PM by barafear »

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 17-01-19, 05:33PM »
What is the "right to normal hours contract" about? 

barafear

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #34 on: 17-01-19, 06:02PM »
I don't know for sure.....but I assume it's "the same hours every week" - rather than......16 hours when Tesco need you rather than what suits the employee?

person7

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 17-01-19, 08:12PM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

I agree, I just assume it means something like NOT what Christmas temp had to do, work 9am to 2pm, then go home, and come back in at 8pm that same evening until midnight, he had NO choice in what hours to work other then set hours for the week, he was told sometimes hour or 2 before "can you come in to do your shift"

so I assume its what suits the employee NOT the employer.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #36 on: 26-10-20, 09:08AM »
anyone have any ideas when the next pay review will take place now we are on the full amount from the last review.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 26-10-20, 09:45AM »
If Ken Murphy carries on the same pattern as Lewis, a 2 year pay review announced in June/ July, first to take place in July/August and 2nd October/November the year after, they're now trying to save money by keeping the dates when the rise happens closer to the mandatory national living wage increases in april so they don't pay more than they have to over an extended period and to give them an idea of how much they can raise it by to keep it just above living wage.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #38 on: 25-11-20, 01:01PM »
Was announced on the news today that due to Coronavirus, economic forecasting looks dire around the country, with pay freezes for NHS workers and increases of just 18p per hour to the national living wage rather than the expected 49p per hour increase next April making the new living wage £8.90 an hour rather than the expected £9.21. (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-spending-review-uk-economy-b1761574.html)

Part of the Lewis era strategy of saving on the wage bill (apart from the obvious cuts to the pension plan and streamlining of roles) was introducing 2 year staggered pay reviews, a significant pay increase typically between June and August in the 1st year and a minimal increase the 2nd year between September and October, sometimes with a stinger in the interim (a 16p increase for a downgrade of time and a half rates for sunday/bank holiday premium for example), typically to keep wages as close to the estimated living wage that would be announced just before April the next year and enforced in April.

When the pay review happened for the 30p increase just received in October to £9.30, the higher ups thought that the national living wage would increase in April to £9.21, not £8.90, so with this being the case and the statement from Ken Murphy (the new CEO) being that his strategy is to "maintain momentum" in the business and not to detract from Lewis's strategy, an educated guess on the outlook of the next pay review are for it to be substantially worse than the last one with the justification of Coronaviruses effects on the economy and that they're already paying significantly above the national living wage (by 40p when the next review is announced).

So with this being the case, I think the next review will see another staggered 2 year pay review, the first being a 15p increase to take effect in July/August, An interim increase of 20p per hour in May/June the year after to fund Sunday and Bank holiday premium going to a flat rate and a final increase of 15p in October/November (I would also guess that they would increase night premiums by a few pence as well, despite the bleak outlook, it hasn't had an increase in years.)
« Last Edit: 25-11-20, 01:05PM by NightAndDay »

barafear

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #39 on: 25-11-20, 01:33PM »
That's a very detailed Guesstimate there NightandDay.

I don't disagree with most of what you say......

However, I would expect the first staged payment not to take place as early as July/Aug 2021 - I think it will be "as usual" Oct/Nov 2021.

Also, I wonder if they will stick to the two-year deals of the past few years - given the uncertainty - they might just do what the Govt have done - do a one year deal and see where we are next year.

Given the fact that the current rate of £9.30 is 39p above the new NLW - it could even be argued that Tesco don't have an increase at all until the start of 2022.

If we assume that maybe recovery in the economy will take place over the next 14-18 months - in that case, we might expect the NLW to increase from 8.91 to 9.20 in April 2022.

Therefore our current 9.30 would still be above it.

So maybe, pushing it up to £9.50 in Jan 2022 - and at the same time removing the Sunday/BH premiums -

Of course, as well as the NLW I'm sure Tesco take account of other supermarket's rates of pay.....

At the moment, we're all pretty much around the same mark - so from that point of view, Tesco don't need to be overly generous to us.

• Know All
« Reply #40 on: 25-11-20, 02:10PM »
I have been informed by a union rep that first aid pay is changing. Express stores, and possibly Metros, receive a one off yearly payment and I don't have any information about those formats. Other formats receive a flat payment of £5.50 per week. The company now wants to pay colleagues 17 pence per hour instead. Not sure if the payment is included in with any overtime or just contracted.
I should point out that it might not be £5.50 per week at the minute, I'm not at work so can't double check.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 25-11-20, 03:54PM »
I can confirm this and have read the letter, rather than a £55 payment every July (for the level 2 first aider qualification), it is now 17p an hour extra for all hours worked (including overtime), due to the way holiday pay works (the minimum being contracted rate, the most being the average of your past 12 weeks of pay), this would in most cases include the 17p per hour supplement.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #42 on: 25-11-20, 09:45PM »
I've also had the letter and it states based on my current average hours worked I'll be better off.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #43 on: 26-11-20, 12:12AM »
It's a fairer system overall, why should a first aider who works 8 hours a week be paid the same as a full time employee, the one who works longer hours is more likely to have to use their training on someone.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #44 on: 26-11-20, 02:42PM »
Better if it's included in your hourly rate

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 26-11-20, 02:54PM »
In most cases it would be a pointless distinction, you'd only be able to tell if it's included in bonus calculations or if you go off sick or if you go on holiday straight after the pay change.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk