Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

06-03-21, 02:03PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7558
  • Latest: M22eeg
Stats
  • Total Posts: 50530
  • Total Topics: 1013
  • Online Today: 118
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: question about bank holiday and sunday pay  (Read 1572 times)

person7

• VLH Supporter
question about bank holiday and sunday pay
« on: 12-11-20, 12:53PM »
I even asked my manager and he said he cant remember himself and will look into it (that was 2 weeks ago)

so im asking here, apparently it depends how LONG you worked for tesco depends what sunday and bank holiday rates you get? which is why the manager couldnt give me an easy answer.

So say you have been working there for 2 years since 2018.. is the rate time and quarter? eg: £11.63 hour
or is the rate different?

or have the rates changed as we seem to get less "bonus" every pay rise

I need to know due to my health im only allowed to work so many hours upto max of £140 a week, (until i get moved to universal credit.. otherewise i will become homeless if i earn just 1p over £140 - so i need to work it all out as im being begged for overtime, and stuck on old disabled benefits due to my health problems, even though dr said i should be able to do 24 hours a week total with my conditions, the dwp put worse limits on me until i move to universal credit.. been waiting for the transition but with covid they refuse to help move me over right now, so im stuck to the limits until then)
« Last Edit: 12-11-20, 12:58PM by person7 »

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
Re: question about bank holiday and sunday pay
« Reply #1 on: 12-11-20, 01:40PM »
Bank holiday and Sunday premiums are still time and a quarter, so for every hour you work on one of these days, you get 1.25 x £9.30 = an hour so £11.625 an hour (Tesco being penny pinchers they are would probably pay £11.62 on one hour and £11.63 the other to make sure the 3rd decimal place is significant.)

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 12-11-20, 04:26PM »

so are they paying 11.625 or 11,620 ?

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 12-11-20, 04:38PM »
I'm not sure what Tesco does with fractions of a penny, simplicity would tell me they round up, cost efficiency tells me they would either round down or disregard the 3rd onwards decimal places after multiplying the original value with the number of hours.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4 on: 12-11-20, 08:14PM »
Is it not illegal to pay or price in a .5p as half pence ceased to be legal tender in December 1984.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 13-11-20, 12:10AM »
That logic would work if there existed other irrational quanity of sub pence amounts, fuel is often charged at x.xx90p per litre, likewise a few times the base pay on the payslip denoted things like £7.293p etc. What actually happens with the points of a penny is anybodies guess.

FarmerFred

« Reply #6 on: 13-11-20, 07:57AM »
Is it not illegal to pay or price in a .5p as half pence ceased to be legal tender in December 1984.
As a technicality, "legal tender" does not prevent prices being set at sub 1p - otherwise fuel prices would not generally end with 0.9p.  In reality, "legal tender" only has meaning in relation to attempting to extinguishing a debt - see https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender. Outside of that, it is down to the parties of a contract or sale to negotiate the terms of the transaction.

Normal practice for where a price or pay rate results in a sub 1p value is to perform the rounding at the end of any calculation - in the case of fuel, 15 litres at £1.099 would be £16.485 which then gets rounded, so the total error will always be under 1p.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #7 on: 13-11-20, 11:37AM »
Thanks for that info.  However for myself I think the sub 1p pricing practice should be outlawed.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

person7

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 13-11-20, 05:13PM »

it must be legal as before september 2019 pay was: £8.426 hour! lol

person7

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 13-11-20, 05:16PM »
Bank holiday and Sunday premiums are still time and a quarter, so for every hour you work on one of these days, you get 1.25 x £9.30 = an hour so £11.625 an hour (Tesco being penny pinchers they are would probably pay £11.62 on one hour and £11.63 the other to make sure the 3rd decimal place is significant.)

thanks for confirming, was checking incase it changed since the payrise this year ... as for my calculating i'll round it up to 11.63 as best to overestimate slightly! if only by a few pence over a full shift