Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

26-09-20, 06:27AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6884
  • Latest: pfslad
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48370
  • Total Topics: 973
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 55
Total: 58

Author Topic: Change two shifts for 3 months  (Read 1801 times)

Wifey2006x

• VLH Supporter
Change two shifts for 3 months
« on: 04-09-20, 05:42PM »
Hi I'm looking for some advice
I have worked for Tesco since 2017 and my hours have always been Tuesday and Wednesday 1400-1815, Friday 1145-1600.  I have asked every year to change my Tuesday and Wednesday shifts so I can pick my child up from school at 1500 I have always been told no.

I got a new manager in December so in January I asked again as my husband's job means we move around a lot and he was going to be away and couldn't help with childcare and as I don't drive I can't put my child in after school clubs.

I was told to put a letter in to both my manager and store manager as they could look at the new heat map and see if they could do anything.  Then in march I still had not heard anything and with the pandemic I had to shield at home for 5 months.  I went back to work the start of August and asked about my shift change letter as I had not heard anything, I was told they were looking at the heat map and would get back to me.  My husband had been told we will be moving in December and he will be away a lot training for the move so I needed these shifts sorted ASAP.

I told my manager this as I don't have anyone to pick my child up and my family live too far away I'm on my own and I needed help.  My manager got back to me and told me he could not change these 2 shifts.  At this point we got a new store manager.  I spoke to my manager and said the change would only be for 3 months as we are posted in December and I would like to transfer to another store when we leave.  He told me to write another letter to the new store manager to ask for these changes as he could only change my 2 shifts for a few weeks he has changed my 2 days for next week for my daughter going back to school.

I'm hoping to hear back from the store manager today.  I feel like I have been messed around since January and I have no support from my workplace I have explained in my letter this is effecting my mental health as I'm worried about my job and how I'm going to look after my child.  If the store manager today refuses again to help with my situation what other steps can I take?

I have never received any formal meetings or letters regarding my request and did hear back about my first letter for 5 months and that was because I kept asking for an update.
I spoke to my department manger and he still has not given my letter to the store manager I really don't know what else to do until he gives the letter to the store manager.
« Last Edit: 04-09-20, 07:33PM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Change two shifts for 3 months
« Reply #1 on: 04-09-20, 11:08PM »
Ask to speak to the store manager yourself and explain the situation...they may be able to put you on another dept for your last few months, perhaps stock control or merching, as these roles are usually earlier finishing. It's becoming silly season, so they maybe more inclined to move you to replenishment.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 05-09-20, 06:53AM »
Your manager does not have to change your shifts, they only have to look at things to see if they can help. If you can no longer do your contracted shifts you are basically doing yourself out of a job. They can't move anyone to accommodate your requested changes. Being unable to do your contracted shifts is different to changing your availability at other times. You can change your availability outside your contracted shifts at any point.
You need to go online to the career website. Start filling in your profile and CV. I have moved stores several times over the years so my advice is to look at more than one store, look at as many as you can in the new area. You will get email pings when jobs become available and you then just need to press apply, and you are applying as an internal transfaer. Your manager and store manager can email other stores and they may be able to help you in finding a job but this is not the correct way to do it. The correct way is the online application. What they do to help you like this is over and above what is asked of them but depending on how far you are moving they may well know the managers in the other stores and this can help.

Wifey2006x

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 05-09-20, 09:24AM »
Ok thats for the reply

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 05-09-20, 04:26PM »
@wifey2006 , I agree with red shoes  but it may be worth having another chat with your manager as you seem to be willing to work evenings instead of your own shifts , usually that's a managers dream as most people try to change the other way . They don't have to move your contracted shifts but if you reiterate that you're happy to do evenings they might be more accommodating.  Good luck

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 06-09-20, 09:18AM »
What happens a lot is that people join the company and agree to hours they don't want to get in the door. Once in the door they think they can just change hours. This mostly means that they no longer want to work evenings and weekends. Up and down the country this happens and it can be very frustrating. One colleague recently told me she has done her share of weekend working after six months with the company and I said I'm still doing weekends after nearly 30 years and it does not work like that.

If you join the company accepting hours you do not want the best way to move is to apply for internal jobs. Sometimes you have to take on roles you don't want to get the hours you don't like but if you prefer weekends and evenings you many just get the change just by asking.

This is something that comes up all the time and most managers will have colleagues within the team requesting change of days or hours but have been sitting waiting a long time, years. Mostly when people leave the hours are reduced, split or put in at different times.
« Last Edit: 06-09-20, 12:54PM by Nomad »

MissMaccy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 06-09-20, 09:31AM »
It’s much easier to change hours if you go to them with a solution, or set of options for them to consider. If you can, take this information with you when you speak to them:
1) Your full availability, are there shifts they’re short on you could cover & they put overtime out for your shifts instead.
2) Are there any colleagues you know who would swap their shifts for yours? Either on a temporary or permanent basis.
3) Could you move holiday to cover a few of the shifts that are a problem, and perhaps take unpaid leave for a few too (they can backfill this with overtime)

Ultimately you can take unpaid parental leave if you need to (see Colleague Help).

Wifey2006x

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 06-09-20, 10:44AM »
Thanks for all the advice i have managed to get it sorted for now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk