News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:26AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 203
Total: 206

3rd August 2020

Started by chris9997, 25-07-20, 04:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

londoner83

There are according to today's press currently 100 people applying for every job. With that in mind most people would put up with any changes Tesco brings to their workplace

chris9997

The point of closing counters and blending staff into other departments rather than making anyone redundant is a model many retailers may also be using.
the argument of skilled staff being offered unskilled work im not sure if that would be a redundency situation.

Not every one would want redundency if the payout is only going to be a couple of grand and no job

Redshoes

I'm not saying that there won't be any redundancies but they will be last resort.
They are expensive. It cheaper to pay protective pay.
A high percentage of people who take redundancy return after six months.
Skills/experience are lost.
Roles in express and metro are now more fluid. As in you can work in several Depts in a day, this has not arrived in the large stores yet but it's only a matter of time. For managers and colleagues.

Nomad

Redundancy or not, is NOT a decision entirely up to the employer, alternative position must be reasonable in many aspects, and even more so if it involves skilled personnel who wish to continue in the trade they are qualified in.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

It all comes down to reasonable changes. Health and not being able to make changes trumps not wanting to. Skilled pay is protected and they can go down the protected pay route. The reality is that if a skilled role is being removed by the company they won't keep someone in that role because they don't want to move. Some may prefer to go down the protected pay route, I have done this myself. I did not want redundancy but changed job roles and for me I even moved store and with no regrets.
I suspects it will now become a longer process into redundancy. It will be case by case and not decided in store but by the legal team in head office. Not wanting the change will not be enough. There will have to be something else. Skilled pay could form part of this, as I'm not trained in law I don't know this. I just know that there are people who are trained in law who do work for the company. It will all land with them I suspect, case by case.

Nomad

Bully for you however some may may not.  You certainly seem to have a problem accepting some people should be and are entitled to be offered redundancy.

For some it is not enough for an employer to protect pay, a skilled worker is perfectly entitled to want to remain a skilled worker in their chosen profession and if their present employer cannot do that then they should be given the opportunity to continue their skilled profession elsewhere.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

chris9997

Quote from: Nomad on 27-07-20, 12:17PM
Bully for you however some may may not.  You certainly seem to have a problem accepting some people should be and are entitled to be offered redundancy.

For some it is not enough for an employer to protect pay, a skilled worker is perfectly entitled to want to remain a skilled worker in their chosen profession and if their present employer cannot do that then they should be given the opportunity to continue their skilled profession elsewhere.
if a skilled worker wanted to stay in there profession then a person can leave surely ,
Don’t know that you can argue a case for redundency the fact your pay is protected and you have a job.

flowerpower

Why have I not heard about this work on pi in an exta will our hrs be cut

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

londoner83

For many is redundancy at this moment a option? Thousands of people are being laid off from multiple industries so unless you get a mega payout or know where you can walk straight a new job a couple of thousand payoff from Tesco wont last long.

Think the plan is to move people off depts over hours into those currently under. (Don't forget often a sizeable number of colleagues leave Aug/Sept to go to college/uni or for new full time jobs and depts often hire in run up to xmas).

Likely to be moved on exact same days and hours and with protected pay if applicable, thereby ending most reasons for claims. Whilst in some limited circumstances you may well be able to claim redundancy, in the majority I suspect any court/tribunal would consider Tesco actions perfectly reasonable in these times.

To the average man in the street retail is retail and there isn't a fundamental difference between putting GM stock on the shelf to filling frozen or working a till.

BarryZola

Probably a lot easier if someone is doing 16 hours a week but if you have a few full-timers on GM then how often lately have stores been dishing out full-time contracts on any department? Tesco are going to struggle here with some of the old-timers who will probably do very well out of redundancy on full-time contracts.

lucgeo

So they'll say " no redundancies" and again push, cajole or bully full timers to drop hours or risk being sacked..as now showing a year later with the same people affected, but they are on less hours which can more easily be absorbed into the store, covering different departments. Those who do eventually get redundancy, will be calculated on a lot less hours than 14 months ago.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dotnochance

You could say that’s exactly what Tesco went for, to decrease the redundancy payouts

notsofunny

From what I remember from when they changed D/M in Express role , the option was change to the new role on less pay with a lump sum for X months
Or to take redundancy ,
No protected pay like it was years ago ,
Those like me with many many years service went for the Redundancy and are sitting about happy with the way it went
Others left and found new jobs with a redundancy pay to help out ,
Some having taken the Lump sum for X months moved into the new role , but most regret it ,

But that was then , this time around like someone said with not many jobs are around its going to be the worst time to decide what to do ,
I do think they will offer Redundancy since they will want to wipe the slate clean as they have been doing over the last few years ,
Small pay out then stick it out till you find something ,
Large payout ,, take the money since end of the day you will or should at least be able to find a part time job ,
And any one expecting help from the Union ,,, Forget it they have already sold out ,,,,,,,,,,

barafear

Wrong thread - I know.....

but as a supporter, how do I start my own thread?

I am only a newly subscribed supporter - does it take a few hours/days to update to allow me to see a button to start a new thread?

thanks.

[admin]You won't see the button while in a thread, go to a category i.e. Stores and look 'near' the top on right for "NEW TOPIC" button. [/admin]

wizard

Hello please can anyone tell me what time do the news & mags person start each day and how many hours do you do in a superstore thanks

Ay up me duck

6am till 9am every day

kaled78

6am in my store and they do a 3 hour shift 6am-9am no break,they check in delivery,put out papers/mags and do mag returns,Nights do newspaper returns

penguin

Quote from: londoner83 on 26-07-20, 08:12PM
There are according to today's press currently 100 people applying for every job. With that in mind most people would put up with any changes Tesco brings to their workplace

Jobs in a soon to open KFC near where I live apparently had over a thousand people applying for each job, read a story in the paper the other day about a hotel having something like 400 people applying for a temporary job, and its only going to get worse as the furlough system starts to come to an end. As much as people might want a redundency pay out or want to not be moved say from counters to a shop floor job staying put right now could well be the best advice right now.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

It could, but it depends on a great many factors not only but  including an individuals personal financial position and the redundancy package.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Paupers wage

Having been made redundant several times during economic downturns, where the actual skill is no longer valid, surplus to requirements, it can be better to take the money and move on to pastures new, except your no longer wanted, in blunt terms.

chris9997

The truth is that a lot of these skilled jobs baker fishmonger butcher etc no longer exist outside of the supermarket trade and to want to keep your skill intact may well be difficult and an alternative unskilled job in another department with payprotection may be considered reasonable by a tribunal.

londoner83

I tend to agree.

If Tesco is ensuring you remain on the same hours and days, is protecting your pay, is ensuring you remain in the same branch and the only change is that rather than being a butcher or fishmonger (which it can probably prove is unfortunately a dying and unprofitable business in many stores) you are instead now asked to fill fresh would the average man or woman in the street say Tesco has been totally unreasonable?

Nomad

Just reasonable for them to say 'here's another position you may want to consider'.

However:

Skilled employees should be offered redundancy and thereby the opportunity to continue employment elsewhere in their chosen skilled trade.

The employee's decision not the company's.  Supposed facts along with ifs, buts and maybes can be thrown in but it does not change the above.

Would SMs (not saying that's skilled) be happy not to be offered redundancy because they were given a position filling fresh, yea course they would, NOT  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk