Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

08-08-20, 12:21PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47780
  • Total Topics: 956
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: refuse entry to abusive customer  (Read 1798 times)

Halftone84

• VLH Supporter
refuse entry to abusive customer
« on: 22-07-20, 02:59PM »
Does it state anywhere in training (protecting personal safety ?) that as CA's we don't have authority to refuse entry to an abusive customer ?
« Last Edit: 22-07-20, 08:58PM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: refuse entry to abusive customer
« Reply #1 on: 22-07-20, 03:11PM »
It is at the decision of either the duty manager, or SM, with the SM having the overriding decision.
However...if you are aware a customer is continually abusive, or you feel under threat from a regular visiting customer, then you bring it to the attention of your line manager. Preferably in writing and dated, stating that you feel vulnerable when this customer enters the building, and wish to excercise your right to " freedom of fear". Inform your rep, and/or H&S rep of your intention, and have them witness you giving the letter to your manager. Your manager then has a duty of care, and if you are failed in that duty, you can grievance the manager, SM and the store.
« Last Edit: 22-07-20, 08:58PM by Nomad »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Halftone84

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 22-07-20, 03:18PM »
Customer got abusive at the door for being asked not to blow snot onto the floor, I immediately sent for the shift leader, but before he had got there, the customer tried to push through me twice to get into store, within a couple of inches of my face, so I pushed him away from me (corona/social distancing ...)

"As cas we don't have the authority to refuse entry, that's what the shift leader is there for, so for that reason I will be sending it for disciplinary"

I honestly can't recall ever being told we weren't able to refuse entry.
« Last Edit: 22-07-20, 08:59PM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 22-07-20, 03:54PM »
If you're a union member, ask your rep to obtain the CCTV footage as a matter of urgency, before it goes missing. If you're  not a member, you can still ask the H&S rep to do this on your behalf.

A customer blowing his mucus onto a floor, is not only unhygienic, but amidst this pandemic, can be seen as a deliberate act of infection and an offence against the spreading of the virus, which I believe could be treated severely by the authorities, with a fine at the very least.

The fact that he deliberately broke the 2m distancing rule, threatened you with violence in his stance, and possible infection, can be proved by the CCTV footage.

Halftone84

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 22-07-20, 04:17PM »
I am a union member, rep was in the investigation meeting.

Can all be proved on CCTV, footage has been recorded to disc. Blowing snot on the floor, him pushing into me twice, and me pushing him away and telling him to wait for the shift leader are all clear as day on camera, all that isn't clear is him telling me to f off.

I haven't denied pushing him away from me, but I'm being disciplined for "physically assaulting a customer" for pushing him away from me and not stepping back and allowing him in until the shift leader arrived.

Also, can a disciplinary from 4 years ago be brought into this disciplinary ?

(Sorry, should probably have moved this to its own thread somewhere else)

gaz123

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 22-07-20, 09:01PM »
Sorry for the modifications, made boo boo when creating new topic and had to edit topic titles.

:-[  :-[
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 22-07-20, 10:48PM »

Can all be proved on CCTV, footage has been recorded to disc. Blowing snot on the floor, him pushing into me twice, and me pushing him away and telling him to wait for the shift leader are all clear as day on camera, all that isn't clear is him telling me to f off.

I haven't denied pushing him away from me, but I'm being disciplined for "physically assaulting a customer" for pushing him away from me and not stepping back and allowing him in until the shift leader arrived.

If the disciplinary was for a similar occurrence and you received a serious warning,such as final or a 12 months suspension warning, then it can be referred to with regards a pattern, but certainly not used in any calculation to escalate any future disciplinary action. 

They say assault, you say defence.
 Is it Tesco policy to resist your natural instinct to react? Your name badge states customer assistant, not punchbag! Has an offer of support been given for your assault by a customer? Have they offered you any guidance on taking a virus test? They have a duty of care to their staff, why was that not given at the time of your assault? These are the questions I would be asking them to answer!

As the tape isn't audible to him telling you to F off, doesn't need to be proven by you. His stance and actions prove the percentage of probability that he did!

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 22-07-20, 11:10PM »

Considering the circumstances, if a court of law reviewed your "assault" of a customer and deemed it self defence, Tesco would have no grounds to discipline you, as the inference would be if they did it would be a failure in duty of care, as you'd essentially be disciplined for not being a punching bag, which you can put in an appeal and grievanced if you do get disciplined for assault.

Also if the customer tried to push past you, i.e he invoked the natural reaction to push back, and the pushing back was clearly reasonable force so that he wouldn't fall over, then calling it assault is a bit of a stretch, considering he initiated physical contact.
« Last Edit: 22-07-20, 11:14PM by NightAndDay »

NavyNinja

« Reply #9 on: 24-07-20, 03:02PM »
I had a customer really kick off today when I challenged them over why they wanted so many Amazon and Google Store gift cards each to the tune of 100 quid. We'd sold them two but then they kept coming back and trying different tills but was unable to tell the Team Leader what they wanted them for exactly only that they were for someone else. Sale of any more was refused as it all looked a bit odd and off they stormed. IIRC from my training up to five of the same gift cards can be sold to a person. Is this right and do you think it was right for us to refuse sale of more due to suspicions??

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 24-07-20, 03:08PM »
Were they paying by cash or card?

NavyNinja

« Reply #11 on: 24-07-20, 05:39PM »
Andriod or ApplyPay or something. When they tried a 3rd time the payment just wouldn't go through at all but they still came back around to try again.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 24-07-20, 08:35PM »
Your manager should be looking at the transaction records for that person, to ascertain if any sort of fraud was attempted.

Any concerns should be passed to the SM and the police notified.

Cinderella

« Reply #13 on: 26-07-20, 10:01PM »
Andriod or ApplyPay or something. When they tried a 3rd time the payment just wouldn't go through at all but they still came back around to try again.

In my store, we were warned to be extremely careful when people attempt to pay for gift cards through a phone. We found that instead of the regular Apple Pay and so on being on the receipt, it stated ‘voucher’. There was a scam where customers were appearing to pay using a mobile device, but were actually usually a fake QR code to get the gift cards for free.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 27-07-20, 09:00AM »
I tend to find that a customer kicking off it can be part of the scam. It's all to do with confusing the colleague. Try and keep calm and call for support. After customer has gone write down details straight away when they are fresh in your mind. Other than that it's up to a Team Support or a manager. There is a limit set on cards and we don't accept agressive behaviour from customers so you have two reasons to ask for support.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk