Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

08-07-20, 06:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46835
  • Total Topics: 945
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 53
Total: 54

Author Topic: No food  (Read 3693 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
No food
« on: 25-05-20, 10:35PM »
Hi. For some reason our sm says we on nights can't buy anything while on shift. We weren't notified until we came on. So basically we have nothing to eat. Got told we could use PFS but they aren't going to have enough food to feed 40+ staff. Can they do this with no notice? It's one manager who hates nights who's moaned about it.

Totot

Re: No food
« Reply #1 on: 26-05-20, 07:49AM »
Ask the manager to type and print it with the manager name for this rule. Copy or take picture of it, send it to head office asking for clarification, not about not allowed to buy food but what is the sanction of buying food in night shift.

This hope will trigger some pressure, but if they tell you the sanction, spread it between staff and let it "leak" to media.

Refuse it when it is not on the paper with sm name on it and sign it.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 26-05-20, 05:42PM »
Have your opening hours changed due to coronavirus?
If your store shuts at a different time e.g. closing at 10pm instead of midnight then you cannot purchase food once the store has shut.
You should have been told about this in advance if this is the reason

Darth Tosco

« Reply #3 on: 26-05-20, 07:04PM »
Just for comparison, my store has changed hours so we close at ten. We can still make purchases through the night, up until the till supervisor finishes at 6. We let police and nurses in throughout the night to do shopping.  There's no way the vending machines can feed our staff, as we get around 70 dot com staff starting at 2am.  Social distancing and one way system rules on the shop floor, have been tossed to one side and ignored.

Twinkletoes

« Reply #4 on: 26-05-20, 07:31PM »
Darth tosco your dot comers must be as dumb as ours.   No comprehension of social distancing or following an arrow.   Managers at silverburn allowing a free for all with constantly 20+ dot com staff in aisles, if you complain your told this is the new normal.   Time to report 5307 to the health executive and certain night managers!

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 26-05-20, 07:36PM »
Our night team are doing 2100-0600 and purchase food on the way in, if they need to. The night manager can open up a self service till for if it's needed.

Katarn2000

« Reply #6 on: 27-05-20, 09:35AM »
Bring a packed lunch. On our meagre earnings I'm amazed you want to buy food in shift every time.

Don't complain about it whatever you do please. Company policy is that once the store is closed then nobody can use the tills to buy stuff. There is a blind eye turned for allowing a self service till to be left on but a complaint will bring attention to it and you will ruin it for everyone.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 27-05-20, 01:17PM »
No everyone has a fridge / cupboard full of suitable packed lunch ingredients. Someone living on their own can't always afford to waste pre packed or large tins, which are in abundance in most stores. They either have to eat the same thing over several days or throw them. Smaller or individual items( which is very limited on produce)  of the same products are more expensive in comparison. These supermarkets keep declaring they are cutting down on plastic usage, yet the majority of produce, is large prepackaged items...bring back the brown bags and loose fruit and veg, that's what I say :thumbup:

Err...if they are allowing a self serve checkout to remain on, why, by using it, would it ruin it for everyone ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Katarn2000

« Reply #8 on: 27-05-20, 02:51PM »
I'm by myself and bring a packed lunch every day. It's not a lot of fun but I can't afford to buy things in store to eat that's why I suggested it because it works for me on my £10/week food budget.

Re the till I mean head office isn't allowing anyone to keep a till open. Stores just do it anyway to be nice to staff. My point about complaining is that if someone complains and head office gets word then they will send an instruction down saying tills need to be closed after the store shuts thereby ruining the don't ask don't tell situation we have right now.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 27-05-20, 03:45PM »
Then you're to be commended for managing on a £10 food allowance a week...I've been there, but unfortunately some others either don't have the storage or had the guidance to learn how to mange a tight budget...a fridge/freezer is the best white goods everyone should invest in...buying reduced meat and veg and cooking up a variety of big meals to divide into portions for freezing...bulking up the meat with veg or pasta.
Others, unfortunately, have more money than sense :-X

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 27-05-20, 04:46PM »
Definitely from the north, us southerners can't afford to rent places with enough space for a fridge freezer, in-work homelessness is actually a thing in the South East and London because a cardboard box in London is £2,000pcm to rent. I honestly don't know why London and the South East doesn't have a different minimum wage to the rest of the country.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 27-05-20, 08:59PM »
Our self serve are opened all night but you cant buy anything that needs  age restriction authorisation until 4am when the checkout person goes on.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 27-05-20, 09:54PM »
Definitely from the north, us southerners can't afford to rent places with enough space for a fridge freezer, in-work homelessness is actually a thing in the South East and London because a cardboard box in London is £2,000pcm to rent. I honestly don't know why London and the South East doesn't have a different minimum wage to the rest of the country.

Definitely not from up north ??? And I believe that Londoners do receive a higher rate per hour in most big national companies.

surlaroute

« Reply #13 on: 28-05-20, 12:09AM »
Don't complain about it whatever you do please. Company policy is that once the store is closed then nobody can use the tills to buy stuff. There is a blind eye turned for allowing a self service till to be left on but a complaint will bring attention to it and you will ruin it for everyone.

In a company that constantly parades about as if we're all treated the same I'd prefer if they would settle on a consistent approach to stuff like this so yes I absolutely would stuff it up for the idiots who can't just shift their eating patterns to fit their work rather than not know what to expect on any given policy on any given day. Complain, constantly, until this stupid company stops acting like it's anything but a franchise operation where the policies are more like chinese whispers.

The-shelf-filler

« Reply #14 on: 28-05-20, 06:24PM »
Our store shuts at 10pm as I’m sure most stores do.

We are allowed to purchase food throughout the night.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 28-05-20, 07:09PM »
We shut at 10pm and we open self serve at least once a night so everyone can buy stuff :)

happyone

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 31-05-20, 09:25PM »
We have changed hours in are store we now work 10pm till 6 am and we are allowed to buy food from the shop floor one of the managers opens a till for us we also have no social distancing when dot comers come in

Cinderella

« Reply #17 on: 01-06-20, 09:23AM »
Same here, as long as it is not a Sunday, where we have laws restricting the purchase times, night staff are allowed to shop. We leave one, sometimes two, self service tills open for them.

2ndtimeround

« Reply #18 on: 03-06-20, 08:38PM »
The company sent a comms out shortly after closing the stores overnight to state that the night managers could open a self scan checkout at night to allow colleagues to purchase break items and do essential shops at the end of their shift, this was to enable colleagues to cut out unnecessary journeys by giving them them the ability to shop whilst in store. If any stores are not allowing this I would suggest initially raising the matter with the store Manager to ensure they are aware that colleagues are been denied this facility.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk