Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

03-07-20, 06:19PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46784
  • Total Topics: 942
  • Online Today: 104
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Driving past yard gate while it is still opening?  (Read 1461 times)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
We have recently had a new yard gate fitted as the old one kept breaking down.  We have been told that the problem with the old gate was caused by vans driving past while the gate was still opening and closing which triggered emergency stops which eventually burns out the gate motor.  Now I can understand an emergency stop being triggered while the gate is closing but I have seen vans drive past as the gate is opening and it does not stop but just keeps opening.  So, are we only being told a partial truth and that there is no real need to wait for the gate to fully open?

(the old gate had been clobbered by an HGV on more than one occasion and was bent out of shape and stiff on the runners which I suspect had more to do with the motor repeatedly burning out)
« Last Edit: 25-05-20, 01:04PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

hesketh

• Know All
Re: Driving past yard gate while it is still opening?
« Reply #1 on: 26-05-20, 08:20AM »
Oh Dear! Has nobody taken any notice of you for a few weeks? :(

You brought up this issue months ago and received plenty of answers then.

The emergency stop is not the same as the controlled stop at the end of the gate's travel. It is not designed to be activated multiple times every day and will reduce the life of the mechanism if used that way. It doesn't matter how much Tesco pay for the gate mechanism, if it's not used properly it will break!

Why is it so hard to just do as you are told and wait a few seconds?
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 26-05-20, 09:57AM »
I am doing as I am told.  Just trying to understand as I never got a sensible answer last time I asked.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #3 on: 26-05-20, 10:31AM »
If the gate sensor detects an obstruction when in the process of closing it stops, that is what it is designed to do.  Therefore it is operating within its design capabilities.

If it breaks while operating within its designed capabilities then its design or specifications are not up to a satisfactory standard.

i.e. your car is designed to do emergency stops, if you did 4 of those in a day and because of that your car broke down, would you accept that and say "sorry, my fault"  ???

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 26-05-20, 12:03PM »
Glad we have an expert in gate engineering on board.

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 26-05-20, 01:14PM »
If the gate sensor detects an obstruction when in the process of closing it stops, that is what it is designed to do.  Therefore it is operating within its design capabilities.

If it breaks while operating within its designed capabilities then its design or specifications are not up to a satisfactory standard.

i.e. your car is designed to do emergency stops, if you did 4 of those in a day and because of that your car broke down, would you accept that and say "sorry, my fault"  ???

The design capabilities of the gate do not take abuse/stupidity into account.

If you repeatedly, and unnecessarily emergency stop your car you will rapidly wear the pads and discs, requiring replacements. You would also unduly stress several other components leading to premature failures. Since this would be down to your misuse you would struggle to claim on your warranty.

Bash Tesco all you like when they are wrong but instead of suggesting they pay massively over the odds for idiot proof equipment perhaps suggest getting rid of the idiots....

It doesn't need an expert in gate engineering to point out basic construction methods and tolerances
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 26-05-20, 02:18PM »
But they do take stupidity into account, that's why there is an obstruction sensor to trigger an emergency stop.  :P

"Sorry sir we can't honour your warranty you've done to many emergency stops" I'd like to see a garage/manufacturer win that one  8-)

I thought he/they were leaving soon  :D

You're right it doesn't  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 26-05-20, 02:34PM »
4 emergency stops in a day, I wouldn't expect any long term damage or wear, perhaps some bald spot tires circumstances depending.

But the gate didn't fail in a day, nor is there a claim that it did, you're purposely making a poor comparison.

You tell that same garage you've been raking about making emergency stops daily, multiple times, over a period of time, they're going to tell you to f*** right off.

Mechanical devices wear, a clutch will last an expected time under "normal" circumstances, you drive like a pr*t, it'll last shorter, that's not poor design, it's poor use.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #8 on: 26-05-20, 04:30PM »
Poor comparisons, as if I would do such a thing  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 26-05-20, 04:33PM »
"which triggered emergency stops which eventually burns out the gate"

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #10 on: 26-05-20, 09:48PM »
I wonder how many emergency stops driving school cars make on average in a day/week during lessons and tests.

Known a few instructors can't recall any of them blaming problems with their car on emergency stops.

I think the point being missed is it's said the gate does not do an emergency stop if it is opening,  one would have to be pretty stupid to drive through when it is shutting.  Not impossible but stupid.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 26-05-20, 09:59PM »
That is the key point I was making.  When I asked before it was before we had seen the new gate in action and watched vans drive through while it was opening and seen no stop, emergency or otherwise.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #12 on: 27-05-20, 10:58AM »
I would suspect 'motor burning out due to emergency stops' is a remark from a service engineer designed to protect his firm from warranty claims, and it has been believed by MM and used as a means of giving the drivers a bit of stick.

21st century equipment needs should be idiot proof.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

blueberet

« Reply #13 on: 27-05-20, 05:12PM »
You're 100% right nomad, the manager in charge of all the deliveries in my store has always hated the drivers and would use any excuse to rag on us. Thankfully we have recently got a new manager who actually has some sort of a back bone and we haven't heard from him for a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk