Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

26-05-20, 11:11AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6815
  • Latest: Smell22
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46210
  • Total Topics: 936
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Inappropriate Discount Card Usage?  (Read 3345 times)

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Inappropriate Discount Card Usage?
« Reply #25 on: 28-04-20, 11:48PM »
At this point if I was in your shoes, just get the parents to join you and plead naivety.

There is no guarantee, but if this was a one off, not involving a great number of points, rather than a systematic abuse, you may just get a warning.

hb777

« Reply #26 on: 28-04-20, 11:54PM »
At this point if I was in your shoes, just get the parents to join you and plead naivety.

There is no guarantee, but if this was a one off, not involving a great number of points, rather than a systematic abuse, you may just get a warning.
Ok thank you for your advice you've helped me very much. Is this something I can get fired for then?

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #27 on: 28-04-20, 11:59PM »
I have seen people sacked over it, but they were systematically abusing the system over a period of time.

hb777

« Reply #28 on: 29-04-20, 12:02AM »
I have seen people sacked over it, but they were systematically abusing the system over a period of time.
Oh wow okay, I never noticed it too be a sackable offence. So to be able to get an udsaw representative do I have to pay for the union?

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #29 on: 29-04-20, 01:08AM »
Yes you need to be a member of the union to use a rep. And they won't help you now if you joined today anyway, as the investigation has already started.

You're under 18. Sit down with your parents and plan what you're going to say.
From what you're telling us it was a genuine mistake, you were stupid and curious and while you did something wrong, you didn't realise it was and was just fooling around.

If the worst happens, you don't even have to put the job on your cv if you don't want too.

hb777

« Reply #30 on: 29-04-20, 01:15AM »
Do you know anything about what the meeting will be like? What questions they will ask me and what format and process it'll be in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 29-04-20, 01:50AM »
Apologises if this turns into a long post, I’m just very scared and nervous.

A bit of context: My sister in law is currently living with us, due to a breakdown in her relationship with my partners brother. This has been going on for several weeks now, and she hasn’t left the house.

Yesterday, we went shopping for groceries at the store I work in. We used two separate trollies because she was also shopping for her 2 year old that’s also living with us, and he can be quite fussy. When it came to pay, I didn’t think anything of it, and let her use my discount card because (maybe against my better judgement?) she was living under the same roof as me, and the some of the stuff she was purchasing was for the use of the household as well.

I came into work today and was handed a letter, detailing their intention of hauling me into an investigation about “inappropriate use of discount card by letting someone else use it”.

I’m really scared because I’ve never had any problems before in regards to the usage of my clubcard for someone else that’s living with me (usually it’s just me and my partner) and I’m worried they might see this as a gross misconduct and give me the sack. Help??

Can't you point out the logical fallacy in the policy that if your sister in law just transferred the money to your bank account and you paid for it on your debit card that it wouldn't flag up as potential fraud yet still have the same outcome?

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 29-04-20, 01:54AM »
What have they said the meeting is about? You putting points from a customers receipt onto your clubcard? Or letting your sister in law use your clubcard?

This will determine the advice we can give you and what is best to say and do

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 29-04-20, 01:55AM »
As I'm slightly confused about which it is as the thread went off on a tangent haha, and i don't want to give wrong advice.

If I'm reading correctly, we're on about letting your sister in law use your clubcard is the thing they're investigating?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #34 on: 29-04-20, 02:23AM »
look at the direction this thread has gone, it seems to have split into 2 related but seperate topics, so I will address both.

For the OPs situation, as others have said they can't discipline you for using your discount for purchasing things for others in the same household, also the logical fallacy I explained earlier means it has no basis for disciplinary.

For the situation with adding points from someone elses receipt, that is a bit different because that is more likely to be abuse of the system.
« Last Edit: 29-04-20, 02:24AM by NightAndDay »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #35 on: 29-04-20, 06:51AM »
There is no logical fallacy, you have two cards, the employee is named on the first, a "family member" permanently living in the same household can be named on the second.

Only the persons named on the cards can use them, regardless if they live in the same household, or if what they are buying is for that household.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #36 on: 29-04-20, 09:11AM »
@DoLittlehelps

Did your sister pay by cash, or use her own credit/debit card to pay? I'm guessing card, which is on the transaction as being her shopping. This could be where you come unstuck.

You could use the fact that cash is not being considered acceptable at this time, and your sister was paying as a contribution to the household budget, and giving you cash would be of little use if you can't use it, and your own card is at the max!!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #37 on: 29-04-20, 10:05AM »
They meant you scanned your own clubcard i think.

There's nothing wrong with adding the points onto the customers clubcard if they give you a receipt.
I think I did once with a receipt that wasn't many points, to see if it was possible to put the points onto the colleague clubcard, because i had some receipts of my own at home, that needed the points being put on.

Someone in our store for sacked for this recently , they were taking receipts from the bin and got another member of staff (who didn't know where it came from) to add it on . The other member of staff was given hell by management .

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 29-04-20, 10:57AM »
Don't even try to come up with some made up story that you think might get you out of trouble. You can't get away with anything that is Clubcard or money related. It's tracked heavily. They know how many different bank cards are being used against individual clubcards. If you pay cash it's still on CCTV. Stores that are now on the Hub will have crystal clear coverage but if not there is still CCTV. For example they can tell if a man has used a Clubcard with a woman's name on it.
Best thing you can do is admit what you have done, if you have done anything wrong.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 29-04-20, 11:29AM »
And who gets to say it's made up or not?? Who gets to call you a liar?? Oh I know! A holier than tho manager, who would judge you on their own short comings and back stabbing to get where they are! Someone who gets to decide their own perception on why it was done, thinking of what they would have done, as an example!

Have you ever been told by anyone this is against policy? If you've never been specifically told it's against policy, never signed a training card, ( or whatever it's equivalent these days) or had training specifically highlighting this scenario, then how can they say you've gone against policy?

Phoneshopguy

« Reply #40 on: 29-04-20, 11:31AM »
[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Its literally on the paper you sign before you get you're card bro...
« Last Edit: 29-04-20, 12:05PM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 29-04-20, 11:36AM »
Thanks, I don't think I ever signed for a discount card...but if that is now the case, then I stand corrected  :thumbup:

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 29-04-20, 01:00PM »
And who gets to say it's made up or not?? Who gets to call you a liar?? Oh I know! A holier than tho manager, who would judge you on their own short comings and back stabbing to get where they are! Someone who gets to decide their own perception on why it was done, thinking of what they would have done, as an example!

Have you ever been told by anyone this is against policy? If you've never been specifically told it's against policy, never signed a training card, ( or whatever it's equivalent these days) or had training specifically highlighting this scenario, then how can they say you've gone against policy?

Many thanks for your feedback.
I was just trying to help someone by pointing out what evidence is available. If they have actually done something wrong it will show. If they have not they won't have the evidence so its not an issue. I have done nearly 30 years. I have seen several dismissals along these lines and was trying to help.
Policy is clear and available for all to see online. It's a long time since I was issued with my latest card so I can't remember what it comes with but they are sent to your address now and I believe on a slip of paper with terms and conditions, similar to how a new bank card arrives.
Every and any company has policies, they have to. They are set out crystal clear but they have to be but they can also be open to interpretation and as we still employ humans they don't account for human error and flaws. How we manage the human errors and flaws will depend on circumstances and can't be set in stone. The physical evidence can however look that way.

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #43 on: 29-04-20, 01:23PM »
From your post it seems that they are on about you letting yoir sister in law use your card, this is against policy and they will clearly have evidence against you  which you can't really argue.

In your case, I'd just go with the i didn't realise it was against the rules as we're in the same household and i thought that meant it would be ok. Apologise and admit you made a mistake, but wasn't intending to break the rules.

That's the only thing you can do really, denying it would be useless as they've the evidence easily available. Remember to take your parent in with you, you're allowed to stop the meeting to speak to your rep/ parent, make sure you and your parent are on the same wave length and know what you're going to say. Make sure you read through everything properly before signing it and if it says something you are not sure about, ask. Make sure if there's someone taking notes the person taking notes, doesn't ask any questions, they should be an impartial note taker.

Scanning a customers points on is a whole other board game, if they don't mention it, then don't say anything about it and hope it wasn't spotted. And for the love of god, don't ever do it again. Even if you were just curious.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 29-04-20, 02:32PM »
There is no logical fallacy, you have two cards, the employee is named on the first, a "family member" permanently living in the same household can be named on the second.

Only the persons named on the cards can use them, regardless if they live in the same household, or if what they are buying is for that household.

The logical fallacy is that if the sister in law transferred the funds to the employee and then the employee used his discount and bank card to pay for the shopping, it wouldn't flag up and he wouldn't be in trouble.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 29-04-20, 03:57PM »
Apologises if this turns into a long post, I’m just very scared and nervous.

A bit of context: My sister in law is currently living with us, due to a breakdown in her relationship with my partners brother. This has been going on for several weeks now, and she hasn’t left the house.

Yesterday, we went shopping for groceries at the store I work in. We used two separate trollies because she was also shopping for her 2 year old that’s also living with us, and he can be quite fussy. When it came to pay, I didn’t think anything of it, and let her use my discount card because (maybe against my better judgement?) she was living under the same roof as me, and the some of the stuff she was purchasing was for the use of the household as well.

I came into work today and was handed a letter, detailing their intention of hauling me into an investigation about “inappropriate use of discount card by letting someone else use it”.

I’m really scared because I’ve never had any problems before in regards to the usage of my clubcard for someone else that’s living with me (usually it’s just me and my partner) and I’m worried they might see this as a gross misconduct and give me the sack. Help??

one of the reasons why they can keep their discount card and I'll shop elsewhere thank you very much!!
« Last Edit: 29-04-20, 05:38PM by Nomad »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #46 on: 29-04-20, 03:59PM »
Nor is that a logical fallacy, it's specifically mentioned in the policy.

"Your discount should not be used to
buy goods to sell to other people, or to obtain discounted
goods for someone else which they then pay you for.
"

Granted it is clearly harder to detect, it's how I would use my card for others when I'm not supposed to.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 29-04-20, 04:02PM »
@DoLittleHelps

Plead ignorance...
and if you get off, then hand them the card back and shop at a rival supermarket. its not worth the c**p!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk