Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

01-06-20, 01:08AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 45909
  • Total Topics: 924
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 58
Total: 61

Author Topic: Inappropriate Discount Card Usage?  (Read 3455 times)

DoLittleHelps

• VLH Supporter
Inappropriate Discount Card Usage?
« on: 28-04-20, 07:26PM »
Apologises if this turns into a long post, I’m just very scared and nervous.

A bit of context: My sister in law is currently living with us, due to a breakdown in her relationship with my partners brother. This has been going on for several weeks now, and she hasn’t left the house.

Yesterday, we went shopping for groceries at the store I work in. We used two separate trollies because she was also shopping for her 2 year old that’s also living with us, and he can be quite fussy. When it came to pay, I didn’t think anything of it, and let her use my discount card because (maybe against my better judgement?) she was living under the same roof as me, and the some of the stuff she was purchasing was for the use of the household as well.

I came into work today and was handed a letter, detailing their intention of hauling me into an investigation about “inappropriate use of discount card by letting someone else use it”.

I’m really scared because I’ve never had any problems before in regards to the usage of my clubcard for someone else that’s living with me (usually it’s just me and my partner) and I’m worried they might see this as a gross misconduct and give me the sack. Help??

hb777

Re: Inappropriate Discount Card Usage?
« Reply #1 on: 28-04-20, 08:06PM »
Same has happened to me today, except I received it through the post. I'm very confused about the situation, as I don't actually know what i've done wrong :/

dotnochance

« Reply #2 on: 28-04-20, 08:06PM »
« Last Edit: 28-04-20, 08:11PM by dotnochance »

dotnochance

« Reply #3 on: 28-04-20, 08:09PM »
I'm very confused about the situation, as I don't actually know what i've done wrong :/
So is your manager, so many times in my store managers have tried to pull this on staff! and it gets thrown out with a union rep in meeting, staff in my store put in grievances till the manager stopped doing it
Put a grievance in, the card can be used by anyone in your household, state manager abusing the disciplinary process
« Last Edit: 28-04-20, 08:10PM by dotnochance »

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 28-04-20, 08:16PM »
You cant let anyone use your discount card.   If you argue the under the same roof, then theyll quiz you on why not pay it all together.  2 trollies looks bad.  Also if you are going to say that some of the stuff she was buying was for the house, know what stuff it was, eg soap powder, but then you cant have soap powder in your trolley.

They may be sympathetic if you've recently got your card, eg less than a years service etc or because of the coronavirus. 

If you can provide your sister in laws mail to her new address (yours)  this will help. 

They'll look at your history too. 

Just depends how they look at it.  In black and white its fraud but this is very grey.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 28-04-20, 08:29PM »
dotnochance is incorrect.  Only the person named on the card can use the card.  Thats the biggest simplest breach, regardless of who lives where. 

dotnochance

« Reply #6 on: 28-04-20, 08:40PM »
yeah i read second card  :'(

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 28-04-20, 09:05PM »
@DoLittleHelps

Plead ignorance...
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

hb777

« Reply #8 on: 28-04-20, 09:13PM »
I'm very confused about the situation, as I don't actually know what i've done wrong :/
So is your manager, so many times in my store managers have tried to pull this on staff! and it gets thrown out with a union rep in meeting, staff in my store put in grievances till the manager stopped doing it
Put a grievance in, the card can be used by anyone in your household, state manager abusing the disciplinary process
On my letter, it says i have "manually added club card points". I have no idea what this means or what it is referring to. I also have to find a rep, but is it possible i don't have anyone to represent me and I just go into the meeting alone?

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 28-04-20, 09:26PM »
I'd imagine it refers to fraudulently added points, for example you could scan a customers receipt (if they didn't use a club card) and add those points onto your own club card.

Not that I am saying you are doing , but I would imagine the system flags any suspicious point additions, even if they are in fact legitimate.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 28-04-20, 09:27PM »
This usually refers to when a customer brings a receipt into store and the colleague adds the points on for a previous time where they forgot a clubcard.

Have you possibly done this as a colleague or a customer?  Could you maybe, as a customer, added points on for a receipt that wasnt yours? 

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 28-04-20, 09:30PM »
On my letter, it says i have "manually added club card points". I have no idea what this means or what it is referring to. I also have to find a rep, but is it possible i don't have anyone to represent me and I just go into the meeting alone?

NEVER go in alone especially if you are a union member. If you are unable to secure a rep for the meeting, ask for an adjournment. If you have good notice of the meeting, but are having trouble, ring your local USDAW office and ask for them to arrange for a rep to be present. DO NOT allow the meeting to proceed without a rep.

hb777

« Reply #12 on: 28-04-20, 09:35PM »
This usually refers to when a customer brings a receipt into store and the colleague adds the points on for a previous time where they forgot a clubcard.

Have you possibly done this as a colleague or a customer?  Could you maybe, as a customer, added points on for a receipt that wasnt yours?
Yes I do this a lot, but i didn't think there was anything wrong with it :/

hb777

« Reply #13 on: 28-04-20, 09:40PM »

What would be the best idea then? Because i'm not close with any of the team leaders or managers at my store, but I am friends with a few people who are the same level as me (just ordinary colleague). Should I choose the person who knows what they're doing, or someone I trust?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 28-04-20, 09:43PM »
Is this a new ruling? I was always of the belief this was normal practice, for customers to have points added on presentation of a receipt,for when they didn't have their card on a previous shop.
Other companies, such as Boots, always tell you to keep the receipt and present next time you visit with your loyalty card.

hb777

« Reply #15 on: 28-04-20, 09:49PM »
Is this a new ruling? I was always of the belief this was normal practice, for customers to have points added on presentation of a receipt,for when they didn't have their card on a previous shop.
Other companies, such as Boots, always tell you to keep the receipt and present next time you visit with your loyalty card.
I thought the same, which is why i'm so confused

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 28-04-20, 09:57PM »

What would be the best idea then? Because i'm not close with any of the team leaders or managers at my store, but I am friends with a few people who are the same level as me (just ordinary colleague). Should I choose the person who knows what they're doing, or someone I trust?

If you're referring to being accompanied at the meeting, you wouldn't necessarily want a T/ L or any kind of management ( not sure this is allowed with management anyway) to accompany you. You choose someone who is quite savvy, but definitely who you can trust. They should be recognised as your chosen representative, therefore should be treated as on same level as the management conducting the interview, not be spoken down to, or told they are only able to take notes, and unable to speak in the meeting. That's BS! They should be given time to  meet with you before the meeting, to be updated on the issue, and are able to adjourn the meeting at any time.
If the note taker makes any attempt to speak , interrupt or give any input during the meeting, have it adjourned and grievance for contravening policy. Read all the notes thoroughly, ask for any omissions to be inputted and initialled.

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 28-04-20, 10:10PM »
They meant you scanned your own clubcard i think.

There's nothing wrong with adding the points onto the customers clubcard if they give you a receipt.

hb777

« Reply #18 on: 28-04-20, 10:27PM »
They meant you scanned your own clubcard i think.

There's nothing wrong with adding the points onto the customers clubcard if they give you a receipt.
I think I did once with a receipt that wasn't many points, to see if it was possible to put the points onto the colleague clubcard, because i had some receipts of my own at home, that needed the points being put on.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #19 on: 28-04-20, 10:33PM »
So you put points onto your own club card?

hb777

« Reply #20 on: 28-04-20, 10:48PM »
So you put points onto your own club card?
Yes

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 28-04-20, 11:24PM »
When did you do this? If you've put points that aren't your own onto your clubcard, that's a big issue.

hb777

« Reply #22 on: 28-04-20, 11:25PM »
When did you do this? If you've put points that aren't your own onto your clubcard, that's a big issue.
I never realised that it was a big issue. It was probably last week, but I was just checking if it was possible to do it :/

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #23 on: 28-04-20, 11:37PM »
The issue with checking if it works, is that you've still done it. You still picked up the receipt, scanned it and then gained the points. What were you going to do if you knew it worked? Why did you want to test it? Both valid questions your manager and anyone investigating it can ask.

I don't want to be a pr**k, but what you did is against tescos policy, and they do warn it can lead to a disciplinary.I urge you to contact a union rep immediately, actually sit down with your rep and get your story straight. Don't go into a meeting or say anything without a rep. Let me reiterate, don't say anything without a rep present

hb777

« Reply #24 on: 28-04-20, 11:42PM »
The issue with checking if it works, is that you've still done it. You still picked up the receipt, scanned it and then gained the points. What were you going to do if you knew it worked? Why did you want to test it? Both valid questions your manager and anyone investigating it can ask.

I don't want to be a pr**k, but what you did is against tescos policy, and they do warn it can lead to a disciplinary.I urge you to contact a union rep immediately, actually sit down with your rep and get your story straight. Don't go into a meeting or say anything without a rep. Let me reiterate, don't say anything without a rep present
I have asked my manager for an udsaw representative to be arranged, but she said I have to get a colleague rep as I don't pay for the union. I am under 18, and I'm aware that I can have a parent as a rep. But who should I use as a rep then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk