Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

27-05-20, 03:51AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46240
  • Total Topics: 936
  • Online Today: 97
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 63
Total: 64

Author Topic: Restricted Supermarket Opening Hours?  (Read 3342 times)

delightful-donuts

• VLH Supporter
Restricted Supermarket Opening Hours?
« on: 30-03-20, 06:43AM »
I personally believe that Supermarkets should only be allowed to open for a couple of hours a day!..
This would then enable the staff to rotate their shifts and  days in work and at least 'minimise' the risk to them a little.
Every supermarket is still trading  10 to 12 hours daily, is this really necessary considering people (one family member only) is only supposed to be shopping for essentials!?
Most of the country are now not going to work so no unsocial hour shopping should be necessary and should now be able to shop within a 2 to 4 hour window..
Has  this idea ever been considered?

Katarn2000

Re: Restricted Supermarket Opening Hours?
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-20, 09:10AM »
You'd still prejudice everyone who works shifts etc who needs unsociable hours to be able to shop at all. Not least police and medical etc. Not to mention performs with queuing and managing social distancing if cramming a day's worth of customers into a few hours.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 30-03-20, 09:15AM »
Nice idea, though not really feasible...

Think of the queues in a four hour timeslot...panic and mayhem!
The elderly and vulnerable wouldn't stand a chance in the crush! Everyone in dangerous close proximity fighting to get in, the taped floor squares and lines wouldn't even be visible in the crowd never mind adhered to! The staff would be under greater risk of infection and abuse from the crowding.
The front line workers do a 12-14 hour day...what about them?

Not every household has the ideal family unit..a single parent has no choice but to take the whole family shopping for essentials...it's probably not their ideal choice, but what alternatives do they have?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

blueberet

« Reply #3 on: 30-03-20, 09:26AM »
So you want everyone that needs to go shopping goes in a 2-4 hour window? You would have massive queues outside and the store would always be at max capacity making it harder for customers to keep their distance from you. You are probably going to have interactions with less customers if the store is open longer since you wont work the entire time its open.

What they really need to do is sort out dotcom so more people can get a delivery. They should drastically reduce the range available to the essentials so a lot of it can be picked a lot quicker and instead of an item limit have a weight limit the vans are limited by the weight they can take out not the amount of items, if everyone was limited to <50kg we could easily take 15-20 drops per van if not more.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-20, 12:28PM »
Need car park banners and signs on doors saying we are only allowing into store one person per household  ideally just once a week.
 Additionally clubcard data should be used to determine who is shopping more frequently and emails generated to deter them.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-20, 01:20PM »
" only allowing instore one person per household" what does the parent do with their children??

Perhaps one adult per household, but then again if they're determined enough to arrive in packs, then they'll just shop independently, all getting parts of the shopping.

Clubcard data being used to determine and deter...hmm lot of work involved, households with joint cards and both drivers wanting to fill up!! You'll never stop the greedy or determined, they wouldn't be doing it if they had a conscience. The genuine wouldn't be doing it if they had another option.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 30-03-20, 01:46PM »
Are they not enforcing the one trolley one person rule ??

sammy

« Reply #7 on: 30-03-20, 01:51PM »
Our store was super busy on Saturday no control over numbers in store, store manager didn’t care either as he didn’t want people going to other supermarkets a few members of staff walked out. And a lot went to the canteen

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 30-03-20, 01:58PM »
Our store been very good with numbers in/out and social distancing while in store , I didnt see anyone at our store last week try to get in with more than one person at a trolley but was doing nights so going in late coming out early when not really kids about anyway

Cream Crackered

« Reply #9 on: 30-03-20, 03:25PM »
What I don't understand is why non food and clothing departments are still open in the extra stores.
People outside queuing whilst shoppers are browsing these departments.
Surely we should be getting people in and out as quickly and safely as possible.

ClicKoll

« Reply #10 on: 06-04-20, 05:39PM »
Hi all. Newish here. pls forgive lack of knowledge. But How about this? Don't open the supermarkets at all. Basicly no instore traffic. Protect pick&pack people from shoppers and go all Click&Collect. Keep doing online orders for home delivery. Chemist access but Cordon path to counter. Exceptions for in-store shopping but still would be way less shoppers in store, safer less hassles for Staff.
Staff can pick/pack faster than shoppers, but is there enuf of that people power to do this? There’s already way too much c**p for too many workers/Staff.
They might have to wait in carpark some, but whole carpark is for that now.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 06-04-20, 06:47PM »
It's already a struggle to get a click and collect ot delivery slot , so never going to work . Also would this apply to staff , who work all day , cant buy anything after work and cant get a slot ?

rayinski

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #12 on: 06-04-20, 07:27PM »
How about restrictions on the number of days the supermarkets are open, so instead of 7 day trading, just allow mon, wed, fri and saturday instead? We can still let staff come in to work to unload the wagons and fill the shelves etc and then go home. It's just an idea, so please don't shoot me down lol

blueberet

« Reply #13 on: 06-04-20, 11:27PM »
You would need some next level automated picking to get everyones order through click and collect. The pick rate is somewhere around 170 since going bag less so that means it will take an hours wage to pick 2 maybe 3 peoples shopping those margins are going to get eaten up rapidly if everyone were to click and collect. Then you are also going to need a load more green trays trolleys and then you have the logistics of getting all of them into the pod for them to be able to be collected. It's just not feasible with the current dotcom infrastructure.

Restricting the days the shop is open wouldn't work either. It is either going to force people to go to competitors because the store is closed or you're going to have the store at max capacity for longer. Spreading out the shopping hours is the best way to have the least amount of people in and around the store at anyone time.

The only thing that I think they could do better is the one way system, when I went shopping the other day people either didnt understand it or were just ignoring it.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 06-04-20, 11:58PM »
Hi all. Newish here. pls forgive lack of knowledge. But How about this? Don't open the supermarkets at all. Basicly no instore traffic. Protect pick&pack people from shoppers and go all Click&Collect. Keep doing online orders for home delivery. Chemist access but Cordon path to counter. Exceptions for in-store shopping but still would be way less shoppers in store, safer less hassles for Staff.
Staff can pick/pack faster than shoppers, but is there enuf of that people power to do this? There’s already way too much c**p for too many workers/Staff.
They might have to wait in carpark some, but whole carpark is for that now.

Close all the food shops glad you are not running the country there would be riots.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 07-04-20, 03:51AM »
How about restrictions on the number of days the supermarkets are open, so instead of 7 day trading, just allow mon, wed, fri and saturday instead? We can still let staff come in to work to unload the wagons and fill the shelves etc and then go home. It's just an idea, so please don't shoot me down lol

If stores restrict the trading hours even more it will bunch up when customers can shop. We need to allow a big window for this. As it is we are getting queues outside and this would just get worse. I do however feel that the filling should go to nights as filling and shopping with social distancing does not work. The stores that can't go back to a night shift might have to shut off an aisles at a time or manage things in some sort of way like that.
Key workers don't work set hours. They may only have a very small window when they are able to shop. We need to protect ourselves but we need to be able to allow others to buy those essential things they need to exist.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 07-04-20, 08:59AM »
Indeed.  For example, now the stores close at 10pm I am unable to do a shop after I finish an evening shift.  If there is something specific I desperately need then I need to remember to buy it *before* I clock on.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 21-04-20, 01:26AM »
What are night shift workers doing regards shopping? We've been told to either get it on a break or queue up at 8am. Not allowing us to buy at 7am anyone

biggguy

« Reply #18 on: 21-04-20, 02:54AM »
We shop during breaks or when we finish at 7am , certainly not going to be queing up with customers after doing a nightshift ,would go else where if that was the case

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 21-04-20, 04:31AM »
It's a bloody joke that we're being told to.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 21-04-20, 02:35PM »
Our night shift shop during breaks too, the manager opens up self serve and off we go! They have been quite good to be fair...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 21-04-20, 05:21PM »
What are night shift workers doing regards shopping? We've been told to either get it on a break or queue up at 8am. Not allowing us to buy at 7am anyone

8-) SEND IN THE CLOWNS!!

Give them a choice...either have you start an hour later to finish at 8am to enable to shop...or...refuse you permission to shop at 7 am in writing, stating their reason as to why they are encouraging colleagues to go against government guidance of staying at home as often as you can. By your needing to re visit the store at a later time to shop.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 22-04-20, 08:50AM »
We don't normally have a night team but have put one on to help with congestion just now. The manager has had basic self service training and they can shop when they like but have to go through the one self service till open for them.
We also aim to keep a few trolleys in the back for colleagues finishing shifts. The staff door brings them out into mid flow in store and there is only one door onto the shop floor but the colleagues are happy with this.
I don't think we should be allowed to just go and pick up a trolley from in front of queuing customers and just go straight into shopping. This does not look good and would cause friction or complaints, and that would be justified. However, if a few trolleys can be stored in the back like our store is doing it is a more diplomatic way of doing this. I personally manage with a few things in my arms or pick up a basket but the queues for us are shorted and more manageable. I have had a few shifts now that when I have finished I have just been able to pick up a trolley from outside and shop, it's all a matter of timing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk