News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:03PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 311
Total: 314

Over 70s Isolation

Started by extrastore, 15-03-20, 05:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Quote from: hope0101 on 02-04-20, 12:43AM
gomezz, NO IT DOESNT, please share your link, here is the quote from the nhs guidence which was updated on the 30th march, this is used by tesco to determine if people are eligible for 12 weeks paid leave
Indeed, as I already pointed out in an earlier post Tesco have gone above and beyond governmet /NHS advice in lowering the bar of who they are allowing to take 12 weeks paid leave.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Welshie

Quote from: NightAndDay on 02-04-20, 07:53PM
Just out of curiosity, did his cancer develop because of his diabetes or was it a seperate irrelevent development?

Honestly  dont know,  we do know that many of the symptoms of his cancer , primary in his kidney , we put down to his diabetes  , so if he wasnt diabetic , I would have nagged him sooner to go to the doctors  , we put most things down to side effects of medication  . Truth is we'll never know and left it to late to go to doctor  , its spread and inoperable  , some would say terminal  but we're very positive  .
But if any of you ever have blood in your pee , even just once , go to the doctors please

Godstopper

Hi all,

I'm in the vulnerable group (or thought I was). Boss called today to say that people with asthma can only take paid leave if they take steroid tablets and/or have been hospitalised. I'm on daily steroid inhaler plus reliever as required. Issue is not necessarily day to day but *if* I get it - both times I have been off in the past year has been when I've had flare ups after a cold (this is normal for me). She says this amended wording has been agreed with USDAW. People like me can take time off but it will be unpaid.

Any suggestions? It is looking like I may simply have to go back.

Welshie

Can you email your gp and ask for a letter ?

Nomad

It's about time the government, the NHS, the local medical services and various companies got together on agreement over their definitions of who is at serious risk and who is not. 

A member of my family has had notification of being seriously vulnerable and all manner of routines must be followed to protect them, however in trying to register on https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable, they are told they do not meet the criteria.

Total shambles.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Godstopper

Might try that, Nomad! Although concern is that it won't do much good if the policy is now as they say (that is, only those who have been hospitalized in past twelve months and/or on steroid tablets according to my manager). Think might also need to contact USDAW to confirm what boss is saying.

hope0101

Godstopper, (tescos policy hasn’t changed, please see previous posts). Your manager is lying, The definition of vulnerable groups has also been written in law
Citation, commencement, application and interpretation
1.â€"(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 and come into force at 1:00 p.m. on 26th March 2020.
(2) These Regulations apply in relation to England only.
(3) In these Regulationsâ€"
(a)“coronavirus” means severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2);
(b)a “person responsible for carrying on a business” includes the owner, proprietor, and manager of that business;
(c)“vulnerable person” includesâ€"
(i)any person aged 70 or older;
(ii)any person under 70 who has an underlying health condition, including but not limited to, the conditions listed in Schedule 1;
(iii)any person who is pregnant.
SCHEDULE 1Underlying Medical Conditions
1.  Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema or bronchitis.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made
id contact yr group people manager

Godstopper

Thanks! This was the dot.com manager. I only do two mornings a week but could obviously do without the financial hit. I've spoken to USDAW who say someone is going to get back to me on Mon or Tues. At risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you find out who is the Group People Manager? I'd rather not have another conversation with my manager who is obviously not going to budge on this. If this turns out to be some revised policy, then I'm obviously going to have to think about what to do - just a bit confused and wary of what manager is saying at present!

Jasperjakes

Godstopper
So what has happened since your last post?

Godstopper

Hi Jasper,

Nothing much to report. Awaiting e-mail from USDAW (they said current reply time is 2-3 days). I'm due back on Sun morning. So far I've had 3 shifts off, and I've just been told to call when I want to go back. I veer between thinking I - like others - just need to deal with it and take reasonable precautions and flat out panic (because I always get exacerbations from colds and this is worse, plus it's Tesco, you know? Not worth putting yourself at risk unless absolutely necessary). No point in dealing with manager until I've had clarification from elsewhere. Seems to me that Tesco are trying to backtrack whereever possible after realising just how many fall into the vulnerable group!

madness

Do you get the flu jab gobstopper?

Godstopper

Hi,

Yup. Annually. Ever since diagnosis back in 2011.

billandben

Hi Godstopper

There is a list of drugs and inhalers on the Asthma.uk web site that shows which people should be isolating. I gave this to my manager and am onow off for 12 week

Godstopper

Hi Bill!

I can't find the list, but I'm definitely not in the shielding group (I am in the vulnerable one).

E-mail from USDAW. They say my boss is wrong. That it's 12 weeks - 10 paid, 2 coded as holiday, and my boss needs to speak to them if she has issue. I am dreading having to speak to her again, and don't want this fight. It's an odd situation as day-to-day I am generally fine. The problems start whenever I get a cold, and since that takes me out of action for about 10 days, I'd rather not take my chances with the virus, you know? I keep flipping back and forth with it.

madness

Flu jab means at risk so your choice for 10 weks paid ans 2 weeks must be hols. Our store has roughly 15 people off for this. out of 200. No manager at all had a problem with it and some wanted to work on. they have to sign an opt out form.

Funny just how different the company runs in different stores

Godstopper

A call with the Duty Manager right now to explain what USDAW said, and she seems to think her knowledge overrides that of the government and my own GP. Says:

- "Chronic" asthma means being on steroid tablets and/or having been hospitalized (steroid inhaler for a decade doesn't count).
- Flu jab is irrelevant.
- I should have had a letter from the government to say stay indoors for 12 weeks (she's obvioulsy confusing the shielding and vulnerable groups).
- That thousands of colleagues with asthma would be off (not really my problem, is it?).
- I am not getting paid.

Complete and utter muppet. Now, she wants USDAW to contact the store manager so that will happen within the next day or so (I am getting nowhere by talking to people in store). I'm annoyed enough to use these three months, or however long we're in lockdown, to start looking for another job. This is a deeply unethical company staffed by idiots. Or at least my store appears to be.

NightAndDay

Policy is policy, grievance the lack of compliance to the PM, if the PM doesn't enact policy, repeat the process until you hit Dave Lewis.

gomezz

Quote- "Chronic" asthma means being on steroid tablets and/or having been hospitalized (steroid inhaler for a decade doesn't count).
Seems like a misunderstandin of the difference between "chronic" and "severe".  "severe" is the term the government is using and I am using the definition of "severe" as recognised by asthma.co.uk in deciding I am not in the at risk group even though I am a chronic asthmatic based on the medication / dosage I take.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Mickymouse1962

Your at risk if your offered flu jab if so its 12 weeks off 2 holiday 10 with full pay

Paupers wage

The original NHS guidelines contained in the Tesco colleagues email of 19th March is no longer adhered to as it’s been superseded by the new government guidelines issued on 30th March and further amended 8th April which greatly reduces the conditions covered by the initial 12 weeks immunity unfortunately

Zx81

That's not actually the case anybody with asthma who requires the flu jab is entitled to 12 weeks, anyone who tells you any different is misinformed.

Vixen

Hi, can anyone give me advise, as I cant find the answer. I have health conditions on the vulnerable list and I decided to carry on working as my SM agreed I can support off the shop floor. I have now decided to go off to look after myself till peak over, the SM fine, however do I still have to use 2 weeks holiday as I've worked 2 weeks of the 12?

lucgeo

8-) Yes,  it comes under the terms of a lifestyle break, which can be any length between 4-12 weeks to include two weeks annual leave. Only difference being you will get paid for the leave, which is usually taken as unpaid leave.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Vixen

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-04-20, 08:31AM
8-) Yes,  it comes under the terms of a lifestyle break, which can be any length between 4-12 weeks to include two weeks annual leave. Only difference being you will get paid for the leave, which is usually taken as unpaid leave.

Thanks for quick reply. :)

Redshoes

If any holiday already booked that is more than two weeks falls within this time it stands. It is not reduced to two weeks. If not book then two weeks are added, moved if fully booked for whole year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk