Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

14-08-20, 02:57AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47901
  • Total Topics: 957
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 46
Total: 47

Author Topic: Driver rating discussion  (Read 4804 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Driver rating discussion
« on: 15-01-20, 06:26PM »
Anyone any suspicions if this is being used to get rid of staff.

And how could it be defeated, ie since vans were changed nearly all drivers ended up with poorer grades in certain areas obviously due to different vans.

Who would coach drivers, and are they legally entitled to coach them after all if they drive they are already DVLA tested and approved
DFL

hesketh

• Know All
Re: Driver rating discussion
« Reply #1 on: 15-01-20, 06:52PM »
A driving technique that works for one brand, or even model, of vehicle would not necessarily be ideal for another one. There are numerous differences in such as Torque/HP relationship and gearing.

If there appears to be common drop in performance then it is clearly an equipment issue. Either the vehicle requires a different driving style or the data is being measured differently.

I doubt if this is actively being used to get rid of drivers, unless it is drivers that they want rid for other reasons, most of what is claimed to be malice at Tosco is usually just incompetence....

Request vehicle specific training. Whilst you are licenced as safe to drive you are not specifically trained to get the best out of the new vehicles. In time your driving style may adapt itself, but if they are not prepare to give you that time then they need to arrange suitable training.

Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #2 on: 15-01-20, 07:20PM »
As in a proper advanced driving course, not just your manager going out in van with you
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 15-01-20, 09:23PM »
Also meant to add, it's described as to highlight drivers who are "higher risk", but surely if DVLA consider you safe by issuing you a licence then officially you good enough to be on the road. I'd still like to know who would "train/coach" different ways to drive the vans and be qualified enough to do so, I wouldn't accept their bit of paper/certificate if they won't accept mines (driving licence). Surely if they aren't driver standards agency or other advanced approved drivers then they shouldn't be attempting to teach drivers who have been in the job for years (providing accident history is low or none)
DFL

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 15-01-20, 09:41PM »
They also can't specify drivers with advanced drivers licenses without paying a commensurate wage/salary for the positions, the more requirements there are for a role the higher the rate of pay, rules of the free market.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 16-01-20, 07:04AM »
Then surely if they don't have those they don't have any right to question or attempt to alter your driving as they aren't qualified to do so, if they were to be allowed then surely an Tom dick and Harry could teach new drivers prior to sitting a test (bad practice at best)
DFL

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 16-01-20, 09:34AM »
My suggestion is to ask your manager to take you out for a whole day shift with them driving (assuming they are assessed).  Then look at their driving performance stats.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 16-01-20, 11:48AM »
There is a big difference between Driving Standard and Driving Performance.

Which are you being criticised for?

If it is Standard then you are correct in that DVLA has judged you as save to be on the road and Tesco has assessed that you are safe to drive the relevant vehicle. Unless they can prove negligence or recklessness they have no argument.

If it is Performance, and the issue has only arisen since the vehicle change, then vehicle specific training is required. This would usually be undertaken by a representative of the vehicle manufacturer who could demonstrate the unique requirements and benefits of their vehicle, or by a qualified, inhouse, trainer who has been through such training.

It should also be said that both DVLA and your Tesco assessor only validated your driving on that day. We all develop bad habits and could all benefit from further, suitable, training.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 16-01-20, 04:47PM »
I haven't been criticised specifically, I believe this rating system is being rolled out across the company and they are giving drivers a time period to improve (what happens if they don't hasn't been said), the going out and making the assessor or your own manager do the run and perform to the required standard could be interesting tho
DFL

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 16-01-20, 05:21PM »
@dfl...it will be in our Dot.com as the manager can't drive. ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 16-01-20, 05:27PM »
Improve what exactly? I'm assuming fuel consumption and such as; anticipation, smooth braking etc in which case they need to ensure that the change of vehicle is taken into account.......

@mexicopete I'm sure he still knows exactly how it should be done though.......

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 16-01-20, 05:57PM »
Exactly, statistics basically
DFL

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 17-01-20, 05:48PM »
Improve what exactly? I'm assuming fuel consumption and such as; anticipation, smooth braking etc in which case they need to ensure that the change of vehicle is taken into account.......

@mexicopete I'm sure he still knows exactly how it should be done though.......

Yep...just when you think they can't do anything stupider than they are already, hold my beer.  New 23 year old on a graduate MM scheme gets appointed to senior team and appoints one of their chums as Dot.com manager. I don't think anyone can believe it and by the way apart from the fact they can't drive the new manager is 100 times more inept than the guy they replaced. Tosco at their best. :( :( :(
The worlds me lobster

piaggio1

« Reply #13 on: 22-01-20, 08:15PM »
Well I know 1 lad as had 2,got as far as a ( let,s talk ). Should be interesting..I had 1 last week.. and at 17,25 pm tonight/afternoon, when I got back..also have full licence,no points,no accidents in 12 years...obviously  means bugger all.

piaggio1

« Reply #14 on: 22-01-20, 08:17PM »
Seem,s to me, they are nitpicking every small/ minor fault..really doing their best to ,er annoy most driver,s..wonder why,????

Asfixiator

« Reply #15 on: 22-01-20, 08:45PM »
When we got new vans last year majority of drivers dropped to a D/E but Tesco wants everyone to have a C, all they want is a good result to show on paper. If only they showed as much concern about us delivering to flats without a lift.

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 23-01-20, 07:45PM »
This is clearly an equipment issue and, as is usual, the people making decisions don't understand the situation.

Use your union rep to insist that the change of vehicles is taken into account and that the relevant "managers" are trained accordingly. Once the problem is recognised all warnings etc should be removed from personal files.

You are paying for the union, use it!

As for delivering to flats without a lift, DON'T. You are given a trolley to move trays because of the weight involved. If that trolley doesn't have the facility to climb stairs then you cannot take those trays upstairs.

Tesco makes the rules, they have to abide by them too.....

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #17 on: 23-01-20, 08:35PM »
I think if Tesco use this to get drivers warnings and ultimately accumulate them up to dismissals I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the tribunal when the driver's accident stats are brought up eg as per piaggio1 above, I'd say tosco would loose that tribunal big time
DFL

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 23-01-20, 10:18PM »
Now, I don't claim to be a HR SME, but it seems to me that if we take the last pay review into consideration (customer delivery drivers wage increase being significantly more than other hourly wage roles), that to me would indicate justification from the effects of supply and demand and being competitive, it seems counter-productive to me to manage hard to come by resources out of the business unless, and going by external reviews and customer satisfaction ratings about Tescos online delivery service, Tesco is planning on doing away with dot com altogether.
« Last Edit: 23-01-20, 10:19PM by NightAndDay »

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 24-01-20, 11:48AM »
As I said in an earlier post, I don't think it is an attempt to get rid of drivers, merely ineffective "managers" being pressured to deliver targets and using the stick as their only resource.

If someone is no longer hitting standards that they used to and the only change has been the vehicle then these "managers" need to represent their drivers to the powers that be.

I realise that it is regarded as career suicide to tell a "superior" that they are wrong but management is supposed to be a two way street and they have a responsibility to their team.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 24-01-20, 02:14PM »
Career suicide either way, don't stand up for your drivers,allow them to get managed out of the business and what will result is dotcom and Tescos delivery service suffers due to staff shortages resulting in customers using competitors services instead.

Give the actual reason for targets not being met (haven't got the tools to do the job), then open and honest conversations will occur resulting in an ultimatum, manage them out of the business or go on the dole, at no point can you be chocolate in your superiors peanut butter.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #21 on: 29-01-20, 08:10PM »
Eh update, straight from a managers mouth, "this COULD be used to get rid of drivers"
DFL

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 30-01-20, 12:11AM »
Hardly suprising, Tesco is in a period of downsizing (the sale of it's multi-billion pound profitable homeplus business, recent streamlining restructures in UK store formats, the proposed sale of its highly profitable Thailand based Lotus business and very recent reduction in hours of operational activities such as counters and PI). Tesco may well be facing a losing battle with its grocery delivery service by the likes of Ocado and Amazon (who are a massive threat to Tescos business continuity in the long term) (trustpilot and other review sites say Tescos delivery service is terrible by the thousands) so wouldn't be surprised if it withdraws or operationally reinvents the way it handles its delivery operations (last I heard dot com will be using UFCs to pick stock from rather than in store, from a distribution, cost and availability perspective, it's a right move.)
« Last Edit: 30-01-20, 12:12AM by NightAndDay »

Miremare

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #23 on: 11-02-20, 09:27AM »
driver performance is a snapshot and a profile of a driver.

if there is an accident.
if there are fatalities.
dot com is locked down.

the performance is then pulled off for :-
the incident day
the incident week
past 3 months.

this gives a profile to the driving style of a driver.

in a perfect world the driving performance is reviewed weekly with the cdd.  If they are below group average, nothing wrong with finding out why.  They usually have good points to offer.

e.g. new Mercedes vans 19 plate if you rely on cruise, your harsh breaking braking , acceleration and cornering will go from c to f, when you look at location of incident on maps, sometimes trackers loose signal.

Once these things have been discussed then why wouldn't a driver want to improve.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #24 on: 11-02-20, 04:20PM »
How will harsh braking go from a c to an f by using cruise
DFL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk