Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

30-09-20, 06:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48443
  • Total Topics: 974
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 53
Total: 56

Author Topic: Meeting notes, dictaphone, etc  (Read 3741 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Meeting notes, dictaphone, etc
« on: 13-12-19, 11:02PM »
Has anyone ever recorded a meeting, dictaphones one or other in order to take notes later, and does anyone know for a fact what can be done if you were told you couldn't, is what reason was given that you can't. Asking as I know a lot of meetings get held without proper notes being taken by managers which should never really happen
DFL

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Meeting notes, dictaphone, etc
« Reply #1 on: 14-12-19, 01:50AM »
The "other party" or so be it, are within their rights to refuse you permission to record i.e. you require consent from both sides.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 14-12-19, 11:02AM »
You do not permission if you are recording for your own use as an aide memoire.  Consent only needed if planning to share the recording with other parties.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 14-12-19, 04:28PM »
Found another link on this site to actual lawyers that said all perfectly legal.
DFL

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 14-12-19, 05:37PM »
You do not permission if you are recording for your own use as an aide memoire.  Consent only needed if planning to share the recording with other parties.

This^

I was once asked to sign unintelligible notes, even the note taker couldn't read them! The note taker was then told to sit with me after the meeting to agree on something I would sign......
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Batmanjo

« Reply #5 on: 14-12-19, 10:02PM »
Has anyone ever recorded a meeting, dictaphones one or other in order to take notes later, and does anyone know for a fact what can be done if you were told you couldn't, is what reason was given that you can't. Asking as I know a lot of meetings get held without proper notes being taken by managers which should never really happen

Yep, cannot see any problem with it as it is just conveying the whole meeting, permitted for use in court as it is more reliable than notes that may just be one sided. Have done recording myself and the difference to notes is extra ordinarily unbelievable. You just cannot share without consent.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 16-12-19, 05:56PM »

I know I could well be missing an obvious point but if your in a meeting and another person(s) says you cannot share the recording where would you stand if for example the notes say Fred claims John did this, and yet the recording says something else, but the only way to prove what actually happened is for a recoding you have not been given permission to record or share is the only evidence.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 16-12-19, 06:07PM »
I think some laws supercede others, for instance, a dictaphone will be required if the person under investigation has significant sight problems or reading disability, and in order to comply with the equalities act 2011 a dictaphone has to be used in order for notes to be verified by said party.
« Last Edit: 16-12-19, 06:09PM by NightAndDay »

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 16-12-19, 07:20PM »

Jimbob1

« Reply #9 on: 19-12-19, 10:03AM »
Im pretty sure tesco isn't a public place. Its a PLC but not public property.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 19-12-19, 10:29AM »
Tell that to any manager who has a propensity for abusing a member of staff on the shop floor in front of members of the public.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

antico

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 19-12-19, 12:15PM »
Penguin, I have been to meetings where not only the Rep but also the person they represent were taking notes. When asked to read and sign the notes they went through them together and compared them to their notes and insisted that any discrepancies are rectified and any omissions included there and then before they would sign. Also if they refuse to change them you can sign with the following added to your signature . refusal by mgr to amend /add  the following. And list the discrepancies

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 20-12-19, 09:29PM »
Record the meeting Without Consent. Do not ask for consent as it will not be granted.

When you get home transcribe the exact wording of the recording. You will use this transcription as your evidence in case of dispute.

If there are any disagreements later as to what was said, state categorically that your transcription is correct, and taken from a recording of the event.

A recording that you took as a temporary aid-to-memory (ahem), but have since erased.

Any dispute.

"Hey, it's a miracle you'll never guess what happened? I checked again and found that I didn't erase that recording after all. Phew! arn't I a lucky chap. Yay".
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 21-12-19, 05:34PM »
Whilst you may be able to claim that a transcript based on a recording is accurate a covert recording would be inadmissible unless you can justify reasonable suspicions and/or justification for the recording.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk