Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

08-07-20, 04:46AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46834
  • Total Topics: 945
  • Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 47
Total: 48

Author Topic: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept  (Read 9719 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #25 on: 08-11-19, 05:59PM »
TUT TUT.....Nowanexmanger,

A better paid position does not make you anyone's better, and vice versa. Seriously, I thought you were "better" than that  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #26 on: 09-11-19, 03:33AM »
With new phones etc a manager is expected to spend less time in an office. I don't think there is anything in writing though about where the time needs to be spent. I have however seen in the new metro manager role pack that it states they should not fill shelves. It does list all new tasks and they are extensive.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 09-11-19, 11:39AM »
The phones are useless for any real work. Yes you can look at figures etc but cant print anything off to show your team and half the time they lose connection.

Cazcat

« Reply #28 on: 09-11-19, 06:19PM »
Maybe a bit of confusion with the new shift leaders job ?.In our store, a metro, they are told that 75% of their day has to be spent filling.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 10-11-19, 11:04AM »
Shift leaders are expected to fill and I think 75% has been mentioned. The manager role is what I was talking about. I forget the exact title of the new manager role in metro stores but it is up to them to ensure all aspects of the store are functioning, the job is huge and as such they need not to be filling, it is stated. The 25% that shift leaders have for admin side of role should be used on schedules, filling overtime, signing S&L books etc.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 10-11-19, 11:24AM »
It seems there's a significant disparity in responsibilities between Express and Metro Shift Leaders, Shift Leaders are 90% of the time the duty manager in Express, the only position above them is Store Manager. In Metro it sounds like there's a further devolvement of responsibilities.

TWD

« Reply #31 on: 10-11-19, 11:58PM »
I was a Team manager for 3 years, first nights then bakery. It's different in each store but in mine we were worked hard by lead team, who subsequently did next to nothing. Turnover was a joke, and it was without a doubt the worst job I've done, I actually enjoyed working for Tesco as a CA and TL before that. Don't regret it though as it gave me some skills which helped me get the job I'm in now and appreciate how much better it is. Never looked back after leaving Tesco and retail in general, Public sector for the win.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #32 on: 11-11-19, 12:07AM »
One of our managers fills for 98% of his shift. Not bad money for filling shelves

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 11-11-19, 01:21PM »
Grocery managers tend to fill a high percentage of shifts, won't be the same in all stores but the five I have worked in this has been the case. They are on shop floor, with team, spotting trade opportunities.
Same sort of thing with fresh.
Stock/admin have a higher level of desk work to be done.
Services and checkouts would probably support the front end more than shop floor.
I notice that the new structure in metro stores is divided up into Replenishment, admin and service. This is interesting and could it be a hint of where things are going in the future?

Mr ford

« Reply #34 on: 22-11-19, 10:58PM »
It's always been the same. You leave your own department and fill on grocery. So stop moaning and just bloody fill it.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #35 on: 23-11-19, 10:04AM »
Good managers have spare time  :thumbup: bad managers have none  :thumbdown:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #36 on: 23-11-19, 10:25AM »
One of our managers fills for 98% of his shift. Not bad money for filling shelves
Hence there will be structure changes...minimum manning in super stores 2/3 team managers not 7/8 like in our store that only takes 400k a week and shift leaders...
Team managers doing a deputy role for half the money although all ours does is fill shelves...
Shift leaders doing manager role half the money
Every body's happy... :D :D

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #37 on: 23-11-19, 10:39AM »
Sometimes, with a good manager you don't always notice when being managed. Our grocery manager is just such a man. He is fully aware of what everyone is doing and can do so from an aisle.  People go and see him and he can direct things, spot things and deal with things with little interruption to him filling. He is not so good at the paperwork side of things though. He also struggles to deliver the refresher training as its himself plus one off shop floor. Normal holidays and Christmas hours etc are ok, just not always on paper but strangely enough he has a great report rapport with checkout team support and they help with the training. He is good at getting the most out of people, but in a nice way. His team are very loyal to him, they have had worse so appreciate him.
« Last Edit: 23-11-19, 01:48PM by Nomad »

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #38 on: 23-11-19, 03:45PM »
The only thing I need a manager for is to sign my holiday request forms. Beyond that, they might as well not turn up at all.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #39 on: 23-11-19, 04:35PM »
My manager doesn't bother signing the forms either! Just says ok that's fine!

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #40 on: 23-11-19, 06:41PM »
Sometimes, with a good manager you don't always notice when being managed. Our grocery manager is just such a man. He is fully aware of what everyone is doing and can do so from an aisle.  People go and see him and he can direct things, spot things and deal with things with little interruption to him filling. He is not so good at the paperwork side of things though. He also struggles to deliver the refresher training as its himself plus one off shop floor. Normal holidays and Christmas hours etc are ok, just not always on paper but strangely enough he has a great report rapport with checkout team support and they help with the training. He is good at getting the most out of people, but in a nice way. His team are very loyal to him, they have had worse so appreciate him.
He is a dying breed...he would be a great loss  :)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 24-11-19, 11:45AM »

That is not being a manager though...all of the above could, and usually was done by shopfloor team leaders. An experienced CA could, and usually did most of the above, apart from training, paperwork etc, when they got rid of the team leaders.

This manager is not fulfilling his full role, he delegates his responsibilities, because he's got the gift of the gab and the charm. Maybe if the other managers followed suit, they'd be loved by their team also?

We had a lovely team manager, who was a bit of a softee, constantly put on by senior team, and other managers would have a go, due to her laid back personality, but she just let it go over her head. Being a team of older, more experienced CA's, we were thought of as difficult by other managers, but she always had our backs, and us her's. She rarely gave us training, as she knew us too well, and would arrange for a newbie, or other manager to do it. Think an hour was our best for a 10 minute refresher from a new manager.  ;D. If she did draw the short straw, she would arrange the training for 15 mins before our end of shift.  :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: 24-11-19, 11:49AM by lucgeo »

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 24-11-19, 12:17PM »
With a good manager you don't always know when you are being managed.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #43 on: 24-11-19, 02:49PM »
Or not being managed  ???

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #44 on: 24-11-19, 07:11PM »
I think the best managers are facilitators:  They are able to make things happen when and where they should to allow the rest of us to do our job properly.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk