Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

02-06-20, 05:48AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 45938
  • Total Topics: 924
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 58
Total: 59

Author Topic: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept  (Read 9228 times)

Miremare

  • VLH Supporter
  • Newbie
  • ******
  • Posts: 20
team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« on: 06-11-19, 09:47PM »
I've been away from Tesco for a few weeks, on my return I've been told that team managers are supposed to do 20% of their time on their dept and 80% of their time helping fill grocery etc helping on floor.

Any ideas where this has come from, is there any paperwork or communication to explain this  :question:

Many thanks.

Long gone

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #1 on: 06-11-19, 11:02PM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

Daily routine for managers - come in , sit down, have a meeting, have a break after meeting, have another meeting , dinner....tidy up.....go home.

lucgeo

  • VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • ******
  • Posts: 2399
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #2 on: 07-11-19, 07:18AM »
It's now silly season...and obviously you're short on shopfloor staff, so therefore get it clarified, if SM states that's what they expect, log your time...make a note of your daily tasks, and once you've hit 20%, just go fill and leave the rest of your tasks unfinished.

You have prioritised and managed your 20% dept time, and then spent your remaining 80% on shopfloor. If you're on the shopfloor and you hit 80% walk away.
« Last Edit: 07-11-19, 07:21AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

DJL

  • Know All
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #3 on: 07-11-19, 08:08AM »

NightAndDay

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 887
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #4 on: 07-11-19, 08:12AM »
A manager can't justify his disparate increase in salary if 80% of his role is doing the same job as a ca.

DJL

  • Know All
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #5 on: 07-11-19, 08:13AM »
It is 20% managing paperwork ect, 80% in dept working with your team!

rayinski

  • VLH Supporter
  • Jr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 71
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #6 on: 07-11-19, 01:14PM »
In my store (metro),

The shopfloor managers were doing this before the recent changes, unless doing an investigation or activity that required them to be off the floor longer than that. Maybe my store is one of the better ones in that regard?

NightAndDay

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 887
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #7 on: 07-11-19, 01:15PM »
Working with your team sounds a lot like doing the same job they're doing. Unless you think standing behind them timing them is a managerial role worthy of a higher levelbof competence.

darklighter

  • Know All
  • ****
  • Posts: 370
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #8 on: 07-11-19, 01:58PM »
So, for a 9hr shift it is 1.5hrs paperwork, 6hrs helping on the shop floor assuming they are entitled to the same breaks as a c.a?

How does this justify the salary?
 

Tossgo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #9 on: 07-11-19, 06:11PM »
Does this include the 30min breakfast? 1 1/4 lunch and 30 min tea break they all take?  :thumbup:

Miremare

  • VLH Supporter
  • Newbie
  • ******
  • Posts: 20
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #10 on: 07-11-19, 07:07PM »
I've come back from a lifestyle break.

on return lots has happened , counters re structure, stock control re structure.

we have 5 managers that have left and there has been a re shuffle and advertisement of jobs.

when the updates were given to me by the store manager, I was told that each week you should only be spending 20% of your time on your dept then the remaining 80% in the store supporting.

sometimes these are store rules , I was just interested to see if it was a company roll out id missed .

DJL

  • Know All
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #11 on: 07-11-19, 08:19PM »

Miremare

  • VLH Supporter
  • Newbie
  • ******
  • Posts: 20
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #12 on: 08-11-19, 09:58AM »
in August 2017 when we went nights to days, the shop has been filled 4 times properly since then.  Grocery replen have 4-5 people per twilight to fill an extra, fresh fair no better, fresh deliveries promised for 9pm at night turn up at 6am in the morning.

Managers are leaving by the week, when I returned, I thought someone had died, the atmosphere in the shop is terrible, but what can you do.  We had a sd visit this week.  I've never seen so many people in the store the night before for the visit, shame this isn't done for the customers.

My original post was to see if this is a corporate steer or a store issue.

Cleaner1

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 198
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #13 on: 08-11-19, 11:29AM »

madness

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #14 on: 08-11-19, 12:14PM »
If its such an easy job and the paycheque paved with gold why don't you do it?

NightAndDay

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 887
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #15 on: 08-11-19, 01:05PM »
Supply and demand, there's thousands of people that would do it but a handful of positions (and diminishing with all the restructurings that are happening).

Long gone

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #16 on: 08-11-19, 01:41PM »

Nowanexmgr

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 146
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #17 on: 08-11-19, 03:35PM »
And yet you're now a lowly GA in Tesco and so deeply fulfilled in life you have to come on an anonymous website and criticise your betters.

Marvellous stuff. Keep it up my friend, you're making my dinner hour and that of my manager pals fantastically entertaining.

I love this site, it's brilliant fun.

NightAndDay

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 887
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #18 on: 08-11-19, 03:55PM »
I've gone from "lowly GA" to Shift Leader to senior government consultant. Tesco recruitment, promotion and development strategy is failing them by looking at the state of all the Express stores and who they have as SM as well as their significant decline in market share.

madness

  • Smart Arse
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #19 on: 08-11-19, 04:04PM »
Jesus there is only one thing worse than a "useless tesco manager" and that's someone who works for the government!  ;D

Long gone

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #20 on: 08-11-19, 04:18PM »

Nowanexmgr

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 146
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #21 on: 08-11-19, 04:26PM »
And yet the pull of Tesco is still strong enough to bring you in here to criticise your betters?

As I said, marvellous stuff.

Nowanexmgr

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 146
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #22 on: 08-11-19, 04:28PM »
I've gone from "lowly GA" to Shift Leader to senior government consultant. Tesco recruitment, promotion and development strategy is failing them by looking at the state of all the Express stores and who they have as SM as well as their significant decline in market share.

As I have said for years, the training and experience one receives working for Tesco  can help some Pepe get even better jobs in later life.

Well done to you of course. And also your ex managers. They made you what you are today.

Bravo sir.

Nomad

  • Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • ******
  • Posts: 6669
  • Who dares, wins.
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #23 on: 08-11-19, 04:33PM »
'a lowly ga' 'criticise your betters' you can't get any more entertaining than that.

Back to the topic please.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Long gone

  • Regular Pain
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #24 on: 08-11-19, 05:11PM »
Administrator Comment Back to topic.

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk