Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

07-07-20, 05:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6410
  • Latest: Le88aa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46830
  • Total Topics: 945
  • Online Today: 105
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 60
Total: 65

Author Topic: HELP! Do I need a doctors note?  (Read 2944 times)

Chambers21

• VLH Supporter
HELP! Do I need a doctors note?
« on: 16-10-19, 10:38AM »
I'll try and make this as brief as possible. I only work 3 days a a week, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I've been off sick since last Thursday with the worst flu I think i've ever had (so 3 work days so far) I am definitely starting to feel better, but not 100% sure if i'll be able to make it in tomorrow, i start at 5 AM and haven't been being able to get to sleep until about 3.00 - 4.00 AM, due to constantly coughing and sweating. Because it will have been 4 days, do I now need a doctors note? Seems a bit stupid booking an emergency appointment, when the NHS is low on staff as it is, even though I know I am definitely recovering, just maybe not enough to make it in tomorrow? Debatable whether a doctor will give me a note anyway if I seem almost better?

Sorry, didn't manage to keep it very short  :-X

Long gone

• Regular Pain
Re: HELP! Do I need a doctors note?
« Reply #1 on: 16-10-19, 11:30AM »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 16-10-19, 12:06PM »
To my knowledge once you've had a working week off then yes you need a signed doctors note . You could phone to say you're coming back but only fit to do half a shift ??

randomworker

« Reply #3 on: 16-10-19, 12:16PM »

SameOld

« Reply #4 on: 16-10-19, 01:41PM »
Generally (and I don't know where in the country you are) if you're that unwell a call to the GP to explain and that you don't want to necessarily waste their time in obtaining an appointment and infecting everyone in the waiting room) they'll usually do you a note for collection.  That said, I tend to agree - unless you're being sick I'd probably try to push forward.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 16-10-19, 06:53PM »
I suggest that those who have responded to this thread, and the OP look at this first.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5341628/sick-note-days-off-work-before-doctor-note/
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 16-10-19, 08:29PM »
Optout, this isn't enforceable, what the NHS recommends doesn't mean it has to be applied, unfortunately in retail you're just there to make the company money, their policies in place will be either the minimum they can get away with or more draconian if possible. As far as I'm aware you'll need a fit note past 3 days absence (as you don't get paid sick pay for the first 3 working days) in order to get sick pay, Tesco corporate don't believe shopfloor colleagues have the intellect to self certify which is why they won't accept it.
« Last Edit: 16-10-19, 08:30PM by NightAndDay »

randomworker

« Reply #7 on: 16-10-19, 08:34PM »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 16-10-19, 10:07PM »
But it doesn't say anything about self certifying, as far as I'm aware, you need a fit note from the GP or hospital to get sick pay past 3 days absence, they don't accept self certification as far as I know.

I wasn't saying Tesco wouldn't abide by the 7 day rule, my allusion was to them not accepting self certification (specifically with regards to sick pay).
« Last Edit: 16-10-19, 10:12PM by NightAndDay »

randomworker

« Reply #9 on: 17-10-19, 11:23AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

They do not require a fit note to get sick pay after the 3 day mark.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 17-10-19, 04:06PM »
Tesco allow you 7days without a signed sick note which is the equivalent of self certification,  that is why after the 7days it must be a signed doctors/hospital certificate. 

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 18-10-19, 07:03AM »
We get self certificates handed in, seen them. Three days is unpaid but seven for fit note.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk