Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

14-08-20, 03:19AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47901
  • Total Topics: 957
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 51
Total: 53

Author Topic: How much sickness am I entitled to?  (Read 7806 times)

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
Re: How much sickness am I entitled to?
« Reply #25 on: 23-10-19, 03:34AM »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 23-10-19, 06:10AM »
 8-) Jeeezzzz the PC Brigade have been at it again  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

• Regular Pain
« Reply #27 on: 23-10-19, 01:51PM »
The OP want to know how many weeks sick pay , probably to help plan ahead financially,  maybe if you had given them that info and then commented , it wouldn't have come across as harshly !

Yes but also the op mentioned they had an ongoing condition that will only get worse with age. Was this disclosed at the interview? I've lost count of the number of new starts who suddenly develop long term illnesses when they have just started. 99% are there already they are looking to get a job then claim as much sick as possible.

I have a long term illness which I was born with and am now registered disabled as a result. However I did not know about it until I was 33 years old which was 12 years after I started working for the company. And before anyone says how could you not not know? Believe me its possible - my father was diagnosed at the age of 57 and as I had similar problems I then had the tests which were positive for the same problem. I haven't been off sick with it for over 5 years and then only a couple of days at a time when my body says 'whoa you need a break'. It is progressive and I could wake up tomorrow not being able to walk. So I've done my time, I had the no paid holidays until I'd worked for a year, and lots of other things that have improved (or not) over the years and I well within my rights to be paid my sick pay when it is needed.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 23-10-19, 11:21PM »
And your case above is the type that the company should support all the time. But you don't see how many new starts  a month or two in suddenly declare they have xxx. The facts don't lie.  Seen it time after time. The running joke in our shop is  from those that make it through the very basic tesco online application system is out of 10 who agree to an interview, 6 show up 4 are ok for jobs and maybe you will get 2 who are actually decent  but then 1 decides that retail is too much hard work.

Thinpatience

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #29 on: 04-12-19, 05:25PM »
« Last Edit: 04-12-19, 08:51PM by Nomad »

Ford Torino

« Reply #30 on: 07-12-19, 08:18AM »
I guess there must be some safeguard against people who take liberties, but to us honest people it does seem very cold and calculated that to Tesco someone off sick suddenly isn't an ill person, but a percentage and a set of figures. I'm very rarely off sick, and I've even said in a jokey-but-with-serious-undertones way in front of managers that I fancy a few days off, and as Tesco owes me a few sick days, I might as take them then!

I still remember a few years ago phoning in sick because of vomiting (pretty much the only ailment I'll stay at home for), and the surly manager on the phone spoke to me as though I was lying through my teeth. I said something like "I'm not asking for permission to be ill, I AM ill, and I'm merely informing you of the fact as per procedure," and slammed the phone down on the arrogant twerp. Strangely, there was no comeback when I did return to work!

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 07-12-19, 03:35PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much you have or have not been off sick in the past , they pay a certain amount of sick pay and that is it . A colleague has been off with cancer and although in 10yrs theyve had 1 period of absence,  18mths ago , the colleague is now out of sick pay with no sign of being fit to return to work in the near future .

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 08-12-19, 12:58AM »
Company sickpay has limits, if they do enough hours they'll at least get SSP for as long as required while still employed, even though SSP is not great.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 08-12-19, 04:16PM »
I am rarely off but when you have a screaming child, a nagging Mrs and clueless managers trying to deal with Christmas and the weather is constant wind and rain f this month. Doesn't help when the managers are walking about saying "are you ok" and "if they could cancel christmas they would".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk