Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

30-09-20, 07:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48444
  • Total Topics: 974
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 46
Total: 50

Author Topic: Parents Participating in Proxy Sales  (Read 4785 times)

r3tailworker

• VLH Supporter
Parents Participating in Proxy Sales
« on: 26-09-19, 02:44PM »

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
Re: Parents Participating in Proxy Sales
« Reply #1 on: 26-09-19, 03:00PM »
Due to the ambiguity of the proxy sale policies wording, situations arise where the parents of an individual who is below the legal age are refused the sale. The intent of the policy is to further prevent the possession of age restricted products to those below the legal age by refusing sale to older friends or strangers who agree to purchase such products for the underage individual, not to refuse the sale to the parents.

Rewording of the proxy sale policy should take place to reduce this ambiguity, adding such language along the lines of intent to redistribute.
« Last Edit: 26-09-19, 03:03PM by NightAndDay »

oldfashionedplayer

« Reply #2 on: 26-09-19, 04:36PM »
The training doesn't fully cover the stuff, it's got quite a few black holes, I tried refusing sales to some parents with kids after the talk of them buying and i asked for the I.D, after about 20 minutes, they were put through by the duty manager and we got told to look at our training better..... Your managers etc should support you regardless but this is tesco, they aren't that bothered about their staff generally...

Training says unless you see them talk about it, or see money changing hands, then you should just serve them, it's also quite skittish when it comes to multiple people who are together, as we get told we are to ask for all I.D's, yet training says if you suspect the individual buying is under 25, check for I.D, doesn't say to check their friends or refuse it if you haven't seen them talk about it / exchange money...

going by legal rules by government, even an adult buying for under 18's that's a proxy is illegal, if you participate in the sale, you're liable for a fine, along with anyone else who has seen this and not attempted to stop the sale... I'd refuse it no matter what and make a formal complaint if any managers attempt to override you.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #3 on: 26-09-19, 05:00PM »
Confusion is added to by the fact that it is legal for parents to give their offspring alcoholic drinks in their own home.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 26-09-19, 05:11PM »
My policy is always to cover my own back.  Self preservation is the only thing that matters in my book anyway.  It always pays to be cautious and a good manager (If you can find one of those) will back you up, even if you've made a mistake. 

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 26-09-19, 09:00PM »
Relevant sections of the Licensing Act 2003 are here;
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/part/7/crossheading/children-and-alcohol
Obviously the above is the base-line of legal requirements, tesco guidelines may be stricter, but not, less strict.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #6 on: 27-09-19, 08:25AM »
The company WILL throw you under the bus, so if you are every unsure whether to serve alcohol ALWAYS err on the side of caution and protect yourself.

REMEMBER you can get a criminal record for this......

NightOwl121

« Reply #7 on: 28-09-19, 11:49AM »

NightOwl121

« Reply #8 on: 28-09-19, 11:55AM »

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 28-09-19, 04:09PM »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 29-09-19, 04:04AM »
The age restricted sales training states that if a group of young people come into store, the whole group need to show ID for the sale to complete.  If a parent comes in with teenage children this does not apply and the sale should complete. If a parent is openly buying alcohol for a child to be consumed at home it is the parents choice. I think the grey area is where the parent is buying alcohol for a child that will be consumed at a festival, for example.

OH

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 29-09-19, 01:57PM »
If in any doubt at all, refuse. As has already been said, YOUR neck is on the line.

If a manager overrules you, make them log on to complete the transaction.

My wife has done this numerous times. (She's a real self - preservationist)

Faced with this reality, managers have been known to change their minds and refused the sale ;D.

Watch your own backs, because no-one else will!

Vir2ous

« Reply #12 on: 22-10-19, 10:15AM »
If in doubt, refuse the sale, but exercise common sense and take each situation on its merits. Have you seen anything that leads you to think the parent is buying for the child? Did the child pick anything out? Did you see money change hands? What items are actually being purchased? Teenagers tend not to drink bottles of expensive single malt, for example

It can be a bit of a grey area but I've seen some ridiculous refusals. A woman refused a bottle of prosecco because she was with her 13 year old daughter, for example.

Common sense should prevail but honestly if you're not sure ask your manager/team leader for advice but if you're uncomfortable, don't feel pressured into making the sale.

mjk123

« Reply #13 on: 22-10-19, 05:07PM »
I always apply the policy for scratchcards when serving parents who are with their chidlren and purchasing alcohol.

Which is basically if there is any doubt about who the scratchcard is being bought for based on the customers actions I.e child asking to buy a card or the child picking the card or the adult asking the child to "pick a number". Then you refuse the sale.

So, so long as there is no indication from either the parent or the child that the alcohol is being bought illegally for a minor then you can safely make the sale. If either were to indicate otherwise then ask for I.D and refuse the sale if necessary.

A manger can't override your decision to refuse a sale as to do so may be forcing you to break the law. They could however make the sale themselves if they wanted.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 22-10-19, 08:24PM »
In my old shop a checkout operator got investigated, ok it was thrown out but its hardy the point, and why you might ask, because a bloke who was around 40 was buying wine along with a big shop and happened to have a lad who looked about 16 years old with him, his son you would of course assume, some customer put a photo of the transaction online and tagged Tesco in the post asking why the checkout operator did not ask for id, and it ended up with the social media team passing it to the store manager, checkout operator claims at no point was any indication given the wine was for the young man, but a big investigation kicked off all because of this issue once again, You cant blame people for being cautious when its getting to this level of silliness.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 22-10-19, 10:28PM »
bed time stories

Administrator Comment I assume your implying that the event posted by penguin is untrue. I find the events related in the post to be totally plausible as I have known similar to have occurred. Unless you have documentary proof that the event did not occur I would strongly suggest you do not cast aspersions on other members honesty. it's unnecessary, rude and against the spirit of VLH. Nomad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk