Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

26-09-20, 05:05AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6884
  • Latest: pfslad
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48370
  • Total Topics: 973
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 57
Total: 60

Author Topic: Shift Leader - Breaks & No security guards in morning.  (Read 12882 times)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
Its not about what you are asking them to do is it, You are a runner you want lunch you want someone to cover your job and they get paid to do so.

Why does it matter to you that they dont get it? Does it impact your self worth that they are getting a quid or 2 more for that hour.

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
I believe I read somewhere a while ago that to be able to "step up" to a role to begin with you'd need to be able to do 80% of the required responsibilities of the role you're covering.

A more realistic example is a ca stepping up to shift leader in Express, they can do enough to be functional in the role but not to carry out things like return to works, lets talks etc, so they don't get the full wage.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Oh and incidentally, every GA was paid the higher skills payment, for covering a higher grade role, for the time specified, at my old store, no argument  :thumbup:

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
So you shouldn't be getting the higher rate when you're just running the tills then ?? You should only be getting it when you're training staff or booking hols etc , let's be honest at least 50% of you're day is probably spent just running the tills , it's a very big and very important part of your job .

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Thanks Fair play for confirming the timescale of one hour, as I was unsure.

@checkoutmonkey

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this subject, as for me, the policy has always been crystal, an hour or over, they get paid, I'm still struggling to find where the ambiguity lies, or how anyone can interpret it differently.

Anyway, as Fair play has confirmed all their store now get the payment, perhaps you can get a transfer to this amazing shangri la  ;)

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter

Penny

• VLH Supporter
  • alice
Could someone tell me whereabouts in safe and legal book you record not getting break?

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
Well Penny, I'd put it in the back, where you write down all your customer non payments and drive offs etc.  It's not an issue for us in our PFS though, if we don't get our breaks, we just close the place. 

Penny

• VLH Supporter
  • alice
Thanks Taliahad 👍

optout

• Sad Muppet
@CheckoutMonkey
now that it has been clarified that there 'are' stores out there where the payment is made, are 'you' going to ensure that your staff are given the same payments?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter

optout

• Sad Muppet
 :thumbup: can't ask for more than that.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

miriam

Hiya
Don't know where to ask hopefully someone can answer me

My friends daughter started work today in dot com
Her induction training started at 9.30 til 3.00
Please how many breaks should she have had??
She's 16-17 starts college next week

She had none

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
Legally below 18's are meant to have a 30 minute break every 4.5 hours, if she's had none then Tesco are breaking the law around working time regulations, get your daughter to write a strongly worded grievance about this. Also get her to take a photo of any grievances handed in, documentation and cctv footage conveniently going missing happens far too often at the Big T.

For more info https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/working-hours-and-young-workers#toc-2
« Last Edit: 28-08-20, 05:34PM by NightAndDay »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Also they should be paid for the induction hours, and the wages clerk will automatically dock 30 mins as break, if not informed otherwise.
Did no one get a break? Bad management  :-X

miriam

Thanku
I knew that Is the case
I can always rely on a answer

MysteryTurkey

• VLH Supporter
Yes...they get the hourly grade payment for the amount of time they are covering, for 1 hour or more. It was all covered in the recent policies for upgrade of pay bands. This was mainly brought about when they increased some departmental pay bands. Also, due to CSD and tobacco becoming combined as both doing the same job, but different department codes and pay grade, which, understandably,  caused a great deal of resentment amongst those colleagues.

If you were constantly asked to cover a management role, would you expect to be paid the same rate?? Would you accept that, because you hadn't been asked to cover duty, that your cover wasn't worthy of the same pay rate??

Also, it's concerning that you appear to be a checkout team support, yet seem either unaware of this policy, or aren't prepared to authorise the correct payment with the wage clerk, as you don't agree with the policy?? Treading shaky ground there methinks :-X

I have been stepping up for a couple months now, constantly doing late shifts, handling cash office and giving colleagues let’s talks. The only things I don’t do are rotas, double scans or holidays. Anyway I can get paid the TS pay? I tried with the union however I haven’t been successful.  (Luego have you got discord?)

Cairney39

• Regular Pain
MysteryTurkey if you are running the shift in the place of a shift leader, either to cover the 1 hour lunch break or doing part of the shift because no other person trained to Shift Leader level is in the building, for every hour or part after 1hr you perform this role, you must be paid the Skills Payment attached to the job you are performing. Currently for a SL in express, that is £1.86 an hour. If you are not receiving this either as OT ( calculated in hours) or as Keyholder payment in your wageslip, speak to your manager and query it. If they fob you off, consider a formal process. It is an agreed payment to recognise the job that those covering the role of SL are entitled to

• Regular Pain
Skills Payment shows on wage slips as Relief Pay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk