Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

29-10-20, 02:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 49087
  • Total Topics: 991
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Author Topic: Managers pay  (Read 41524 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Re: Managers pay
« Reply #175 on: 02-11-19, 04:35PM »
"the expectation of something in return"
while I appreciate there are those in society who volunteer for no ulterior motive other than to help others,  I strongly believe that the phrase  randomworker has used is a style of living that most certainly 'infested' society from the top-down.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #176 on: 03-11-19, 06:03AM »
A manager should not be judged on filling shelves and is not in job description. In reality this is what happens though. A grocery manager should not work an aisle but should be checking on team, looking for trade opportunities, then all the rota, holidays part of job. They will be duty too and as often quiet at night they have that side of things to do too. How many managers in will depend on size of store but unless an extra it will probably be only one. I work in a superstore and there are only six eight managers in total, the store does not have a night team and in the mornings and evenings there is generally only one manager in and depending on hols etc there can be only one in all day. They don't need to spend all the time in the office, and shouldn't but they are not paid to fill shelves but most stores seem to run very tight on the grocery team so have to.
I'm sorry but every manager in our shop is a glorified shelf filler, that's from the store manager down to the line manager. The Second in charge is a jumped up little runt who couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery, but thinks hes the dogs rubbish, just fills all day. Like what was said few posts back all they are needed for is to sign holiday forms and that's on borrowed time.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #177 on: 03-11-19, 12:39PM »
The reason so many managers spend all day filling or on a till is because the GA levels have been cut so much who else is left to do it, and that is not a fault of store or line managers that comes down to head office, I know a few managers just wonder around filling the odd toilet roll but most of them are filling because otherwise the job would never get done.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Whistleblower

« Reply #178 on: 03-11-19, 04:07PM »
Not a great fan of management , but I have to agree that not all management are useless,and ga have to realise that all these cutbacks are affecting everyone not just them,I think the majority of management would rather help out than do paperwork,
But 0ne thing I do not agree with tho and this seems widespread why managers have the need to have their break all at the same time,
Morale is low and God know s what's it going to be like during December,

Long gone

• Regular Pain
« Reply #179 on: 03-11-19, 06:50PM »
Not a great fan of management , but I have to agree that not all management are useless,and ga have to realise that all these cutbacks are affecting everyone not just them,I think the majority of management would rather help out than do paperwork,
But 0ne thing I do not agree with tho and this seems widespread why managers have the need to have their break all at the same time,

Get rid of top heavy management and employ more GAs , all the managers I have worked with have been utter garbage

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #180 on: 03-11-19, 07:53PM »
I think part of the problem is how Tesco defines mangement roles, the express structure at the moment has ca's, an admin and stock controller (all without skills payments), shift leaders and then a store manager, Countless times have I seen lead managers from superstore get made redundant and job swapped to Express SM absolutely fail at running a mid taking express despite the salary difference (lead managers in SS tend to be on more than SMs in Express, the lead in question was on 37k a year protected payment to be SM of 60-70k a week express).

Shift leaders in Express aren't considered managers yet have more responsibility and a harder job than Team Managers(express shift leaders in busy stores have among the highest staff turnover rates of all positions in Tesco, the fact Tesco had to come up with a seperate break policy for express shift leaders says everything about how difficult the role is compared to TMs). 

A restructuring does need to happen in superstore, but it needs to be dome properly, not just cutting everything down to nothing (I've heard the Metro restructure being an example of too much being cut, in other words, how not to restructure.) Shift Leaders in Express need to be rebranded to a salaried managers position otherwise the staff turnover issue isn't going to be resolved,  likewise Metro also needs another looking at as from what I'm seeing, the revenues are directly affected due to lack of resources.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #181 on: 03-11-19, 08:17PM »

But you need managers who manage the team. You can have good manager but scared to put people under performance management and constantly trying to do the job with hands those who already  work their ass.
So more problems arise and good mansger is in fact a bad manager.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #182 on: 03-11-19, 08:27PM »
I think part of the problem is how Tesco defines mangement roles, the express structure at the moment has ca's, an admin and stock controller (all without skills payments), shift leaders and then a store manager, Countless times have I seen lead managers from superstore get made redundant and job swapped to Express SM absolutely fail at running a mid taking express despite the salary difference (lead managers in SS tend to be on more than SMs in Express, the lead in question was on 37k a year protected payment to be SM of 60-70k a week express).

Shift leaders in Express aren't considered managers yet have more responsibility and a harder job than Team Managers(express shift leaders in busy stores have among the highest staff turnover rates of all positions in Tesco, the fact Tesco had to come up with a seperate break policy for express shift leaders says everything about how difficult the role is compared to TMs). 

A restructuring does need to happen in superstore, but it needs to be dome properly, not just cutting everything down to nothing (I've heard the Metro restructure being an example of too much being cut, in other words, how not to restructure.) Shift Leaders in Express need to be rebranded to a salaried managers position otherwise the staff turnover issue isn't going to be resolved,  likewise Metro also needs another looking at as from what I'm seeing, the revenues are directly affected due to lack of resources.

You are right about express shift leaders but it will never happen, as long as people keep accepting the job and there are always plenty of external applications for it nothing will change, all Tesco will say when more quit is "next" a sad state of affairs but its what this company has become.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #183 on: 03-11-19, 10:40PM »

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #184 on: 04-11-19, 12:02PM »
I need my manager to organise the rotas and holidays and that is about it.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk