Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

12-07-20, 01:11PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46958
  • Total Topics: 948
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 66
Total: 71

Author Topic: More Nights to Twilight Rumours  (Read 185892 times)

happyhammer

More Nights to Twilight Rumours
« on: 03-05-17, 12:55PM »
The latest unofficial word in my store is that only night staff who are on long term contracts will be offered redundancy! Staff who are are on 2/3 day contracts will be told "Its because of the needs of the business" & that they will have to make the switch without the offer of redundancy!!!!!
Any one else heard this?

heyyouguys

Re: More Nights to Twilight Rumours
« Reply #1 on: 03-05-17, 01:21PM »
I would be really suprised if this was the case

Minnie Mouse

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 03-05-17, 01:31PM »
Think someone is winding you up  ;D

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 03-05-17, 01:44PM »
Sounds like Chinese whispers, but I wouldn't put anything past Tesco at this point.

Cheekymonkey007

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 03-05-17, 01:50PM »
They can't do that. It would be classed as selective redundancy, which is unlawful.
Cheeky monkey

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 03-05-17, 02:44PM »
The latest unofficial word in my store is that only night staff who are on long term contracts will be offered redundancy! Staff who are are on 2/3 day contracts will be told "Its because of the needs of the business" & that they will have to make the switch without the offer of redundancy!!!!!
Any one else heard this?

Unofficial word from who? When our non food night team went it did not matter if you were on a 1 day contract or 5 days you were still offered redundancy. What happens to the people who work 2/3 night that cannot work during the day due to commitments are they sent up the road without a penny? I have heard they will not offer as many 5 day contracts over next while and looking at all the part time flexi I believe this. Not heard anything as to people being singled out because of how many days they do. The bottom line is if Tosco continues the way it is going with too many overpaid LMs etc it will not be around alot longer. Dave Lewis is making alot of good changes but sadly A FEW night crews who burst there arse every night seem to be getting caught in the cross fire.  :thumbdown:

Nightslave

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 03-05-17, 04:56PM »
Our store manager said our night crew are safe for at least 10 years as they are currently doing trials in the other shops in our group who have been moved to twilight.

Arizonarugby

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 03-05-17, 05:24PM »
Any one else heard this?

Unofficial word from who? When our non food night team went it did not matter if you were on a 1 day contract or 5 days you were still offered redundancy. What happens to the people who work 2/3 night that cannot work during the day due to commitments are they sent up the road without a penny? I have heard they will not offer as many 5 day contracts over next while and looking at all the part time flexi I believe this. Not heard anything as to people being singled out because of how many days they do. The bottom line is if Tosco continues the way it is going with too many overpaid LMs etc it will not be around alot longer. Dave Lewis is making alot of good changes but sadly A FEW night crews who burst there arse every night seem to be getting caught in the cross fire.  :thumbdown:
JL sorry to be rude, but what planet do you live on, Dave Lewis is not making changes to reduce LM numbers, the changes are being made because Tesco is no longer a trusted brand and it can no longer rely on sales to generate profits, the only way he knows how to compete with discounters is to reduce costs , so he's whipping the donkeys whose hard graft drove Tesco to the top , by cutting jobs / hours /T&C's . The

musicman

« Reply #8 on: 03-05-17, 06:37PM »
How on earth can anyone say that a night team is safe for next 10 years???

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 03-05-17, 06:51PM »
Someone is living in cloud cuckoo land lol. Lucky if the place is around in 10 years.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #10 on: 03-05-17, 07:04PM »
Any one else heard this?

Lol it doesnt work like that, They are asking you to change from days to nights and the amount of hours/days you work doesn't come into it. You will all be offered redundancy.

Miffed72

« Reply #11 on: 03-05-17, 07:17PM »
Come on someone who is going and when. It's killing me >:D

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 03-05-17, 08:08PM »
Our store manager said our night crew are safe for at least 10 years as they are currently doing trials in the other shops in our group who have been moved to twilight.
Oh my God....you are not being told the truth ..Cloud Cuckoo land

blutopia

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 03-05-17, 08:18PM »
Oh my God....you are not being told the truth ..Cloud Cuckoo land

Tesco managers have to be compulsive bull$hitters to get management jobs including, and perhaps especially, Store Managers!  They know nothing, but there is nothing they hate more than having to admit it, hence they resort to bull$hit comments.  I doubt Tesco will exist in remotely its current form by the time Drastic has finished with it - much sooner than 10 years!

Penguin12

« Reply #14 on: 03-05-17, 08:41PM »
My husband was told that if Tesco offered him a fulltime contract on days he wouldn't be allowed to take redundancy  ;D :D
Some people talk such utter nonsense.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 03-05-17, 09:10PM »
Penguin12

"If"

There is next to no if any FT contracts given out when nights to twilight changes are made.

The lost in premiums, hours and fact people cannot work twilight is why redundancy has a high uptake leaving aside all the people who are just sick of the place.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 03-05-17, 09:16PM »
That has to be the funniest, most detached and delusional thing I've read :D Does your SM know that the corporate plan is now in year three of a five year plan? Sounds like your SM has swallowed the blue pill. Take the red pill - and read these (all based on facts);-

1 - http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15780.msg194149#msg194149
2 - http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15947.msg195841#msg195841
3 - http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15780.msg194564#msg194564
4 - http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15947.msg196193#msg196193

You're welcome.

« Last Edit: 03-05-17, 09:20PM by OvaSees »

blutopia

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 03-05-17, 09:16PM »
Penguin12: I'm sure a lot of people have lost their legal right to redundancy because of being told similar things.  What I wonder, though, is whether managers say these things just due to their ignorance of the law or if it is the deliberate policy of Tesco to 'try it on' and hope it won't be challenged.  I wouldn't be surprised if some managers think that because they are a manager they have the authority to decide these things or (as per my previous post) they give a bull$hit answer to cover their ignorance.

Nightslave

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 04-05-17, 01:47AM »
Well I know we are going to lose nights soon as 2 night line managers have left and we only have 2 other managers. Four ca's have also left and they are not replacing any of them. Instead they are getting more twilight staff to help with our backstock and delivery, but the trouble is they do Naff all. We currently have 9 staff off either sick or on holiday.  Still the store manager expects everything to be worked and faced up, if not the managers get their arses whipped, then we get shouted at. It is unstainable at the moment, something is going give sooner or later.
« Last Edit: 04-05-17, 01:50AM by Nightslave »

Cheekymonkey007

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 04-05-17, 02:06AM »
It's inevitable that nights are going! If you believe different- I feel for you, they don't just cherry pick stores to cull roles, it's like everything is being cut to the bone, I do agree that some store roles were made up - customer champion for example !? -was offered it at one point but declined as it was a laughable role. But getting rid of nights is ridiculous!.. no store will cope ! And express losing deputy is suicidal as no one apart from SM has accountability ... shocking decisions. All said and done... those roles are shelved ... until a later date when a new CEO is faced with the job of saving the company as customers are shopping elsewhere and loyalty is gone through lack of confidence to deliver, I'm embarrassed at the moment to say I work for T as everyone is hearing terrible news and morrissons staff are saying we are going bust.. glad I'm outa here to be honest.

Cheeky monkey

Minnie Mouse

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 04-05-17, 06:48AM »
Got told by delivery driver that our store is to lose their night shift as it is on the board at the distribution centre but we're supposed to be safe till next year don't know what to believe but keeping everything crossed and praying for it  ;)

starlight

« Reply #21 on: 04-05-17, 07:48AM »
We are losing our nightcrew,and have been told it could be week 13,week 26 or week 39-so my question is ;would our whole nightcrew be starting our consultation on the same day(maybe all called in?),or would it be staggered through the week ? in that case we would all finish on different nights...so if any store has already been through a whole nightcrew going,any hints as to how it all works???

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 04-05-17, 12:18PM »
At our store, the night team were all taken in at once on a Monday night, I think there was a very tight timescale to get them briefed. Those not working that Monday night were asked to come in and attend, even those who were on holiday. People who were off work were contacted and asked to come in, to make sure everybody got briefed at the same time. If for whatever reason they could/would not come in, they were briefed the moment they came in for their next shift. The consultation period started with that first briefing, whatever day it was.

Even though people had different shifts and consultation end dates - and thus 'finished' on different nights - the consultation period was the same length. To make it all work nobody worked nights on the last Sunday, we had a twilight shift instead (I think those who would have worked that night and were still contracted did the twilight and then finished their roles). In short, most of them finished on the same night (the Sunday) other than a couple of others who also finished but were paid for the last couple of nights they didn't work (as there was no night team then).

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 04-05-17, 12:37PM »
We are losing our nightcrew,and have been told it could be week 13,week 26 or week 39-so my question is ;would our whole nightcrew be starting our consultation on the same day(maybe all called in?),or would it be staggered through the week ? in that case we would all finish on different nights...so if any store has already been through a whole nightcrew going,any hints as to how it all works???

Our store was not given any brief.

The PM told some people individually we are safe for a year.

I thought you got a brief regardless of if you were effected or not.

Why can they not give answers to people as to 13 26 or 39 :question:

More of our night GAs are now leaving to the Shift Leader role after DM cull.

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #24 on: 04-05-17, 01:37PM »
Got told by delivery driver that our store is to lose their night shift as it is on the board at the distribution centre but we're supposed to be safe till next year don't know what to believe but keeping everything crossed and praying for it  ;)
I wondered if you had been previously told you are safe for the next year to 18 months

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk