Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

23-09-20, 11:33PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48308
  • Total Topics: 973
  • Online Today: 123
  • Online Ever: 525
  • (11-07-20, 04:47PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 59
Total: 61

Author Topic: Tosco Shares - Buy or Sell? Well Hello Delores!!  (Read 60137 times)

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
Re: Tosco Shares - Buy or Sell? Well Hello Delores!!
« Reply #125 on: 30-08-18, 08:18AM »

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #126 on: 30-08-18, 02:05PM »
Administrator Comment This is NOT the 'what do you think of GreenGrocer' thread.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #127 on: 30-08-18, 09:26PM »

i was replying to someone that said the share price was droiping due to Tesco staff selling shares ,

any ideas on how many tesco shares are traded daily ? or how many shares tesco staff trade ?

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/exchange-insight/trade-data.html?fourWayKey=GB0008847096GBGBXSET1
Here is chart about volume. " Who " is buying/selling that's  a whole different story.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.tescoplc.com/media/392367/tesco_ar17_shareholder-information.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjl4pT2zZXdAhUMCsAKHQ52DQUQFggUMAI&usg=AOvVaw2ssS1vaJanW9BJhl5dQv6q

Its 1 yr old pdf but u can see that staff hold over 100m shares/ over 1%.
« Last Edit: 30-08-18, 09:35PM by lordadmiral »

bugsbunny

• Regular Pain
« Reply #128 on: 31-08-18, 02:38PM »
What is going on with the share price why has it dropped so much?

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #129 on: 31-08-18, 07:48PM »

i was replying to someone that said the share price was droiping due to Tesco staff selling shares ,

any ideas on how many tesco shares are traded daily ? or how many shares tesco staff trade ?

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/exchange-insight/trade-data.html?fourWayKey=GB0008847096GBGBXSET1
Here is chart about volume. " Who " is buying/selling that's  a whole different story.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.tescoplc.com/media/392367/tesco_ar17_shareholder-information.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjl4pT2zZXdAhUMCsAKHQ52DQUQFggUMAI&usg=AOvVaw2ssS1vaJanW9BJhl5dQv6q

Its 1 yr old pdf but u can see that staff hold over 100m shares/ over 1%.

Thanks for looking that up  :thumbup:

Still cant see how tesco staff could effect the share price  ??? since i think it was said that Staff selling them had pushed down the price   8-) , And i cant see Tesco staff all trading  out last week   ,   it would be good to see how many shares are still held by Staff , since all the Staff reductions in the Managment side from last year ,  Just read that total tesco share issue is 9,790.16 million.
« Last Edit: 31-08-18, 07:49PM by notsofunny »

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #130 on: 31-08-18, 08:09PM »
What is going on with the share price why has it dropped so much?

Have a look at other retail share prices to see if they have fallen , then look at the stock market to see how that has been doing , this could help you or it could not  ;D

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #131 on: 02-09-18, 07:12PM »
This is NOT the 'what do you think of GreenGrocer' thread.

I would think what I asked does, especialy when the said person has if I am correct  said how badly stores are doing and how badly management and above them are running the place , after all if I was to invest in a company then say that they are going down hill , and the subject is buy or sell shares would others not want to ask why I was investing in them ?

Administrator Comment Nope

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #132 on: 03-09-18, 02:44AM »
This is NOT the 'what do you think of GreenGrocer' thread.

I would think what I asked does, especialy when the said person has if I am correct  said how badly stores are doing and how badly management and above them are running the place , after all if I was to invest in a company then say that they are going down hill , and the subject is buy or sell shares would others not want to ask why I was investing in them ?

Nope

So you are saying the topic is not around ( buy or sell) ?

Administrator Comment The bulk of your deleted post was concerned with your opinion of another member, end of discussion.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #133 on: 11-09-18, 07:37PM »
Oho shares heavy down within last few days. Look like big sell out. people are preparing for octobers half yr results. My 6th sense tells me we can expect some bad/ mix news.

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #134 on: 11-09-18, 08:32PM »

How is the stock market doing ? is it up or down over the same period ?

Also how are the othe retailers shares doing ? are they up or down ?

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #135 on: 11-09-18, 09:02PM »
Tesco shares were 176p in Nov 2017 so I could understand big sell off to make nice profit now.
Other retailers are OK, normal trade no big moves up or down.
So that big drop 40p over 4 week time is very surprising.
Maybe it;s because of "Jack's",  new Tesco discounter. Investors might think that it will be disaster.
« Last Edit: 11-09-18, 09:10PM by lordadmiral »

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #136 on: 11-09-18, 09:23PM »
Tesco shares are down 30p over 1 month,  Sainsbury's are down about 25p down over same time scale But less % wise based on share value.

Morrison is down a few pence over same time and is doing rather well from what I can see.

Does seem a let down especially since I have been seeing the price rise over the last year.

« Reply #137 on: 12-09-18, 08:14AM »
There will be some unknown how things will go with the launch of the discounter in the next week. Previous executives tried the discount model before but were meant to have pulled out of it over fears it could undermine the main brand. With the rise of Lidl and Aldi they have been forced to give up market share or try to retain it through Jacks. Amazon are the shares to invest in nowadays.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #138 on: 12-09-18, 10:57AM »
Tesco shares are down 30p over 1 month,  Sainsbury's are down about 25p down over same time scale But less % wise based on share value.

Morrison is down a few pence over same time and is doing rather well from what I can see.

Does seem a let down especially since I have been seeing the price rise over the last year.
My bad, your right it was 30p not 40p, for tesco :D

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #139 on: 12-09-18, 07:32PM »

OpShunned

• Smart Arse
« Reply #140 on: 12-09-18, 10:37PM »
sorry to reprise but JACK'S infuriates me  8-)

.Sunday, 20th of July 2014

Picture the scene, we're two days away from Phil Clarke's '40th year at Tesco' party due to be staged on Tuesday, 22nd of July. The balloons have already been inflated and the trimmings festoon a richly laden boardroom. Lying in bed, wondering what he will receive for his milestone anniversary, Phil closes his eyes only to find that he can see the immortal line 'Et tu, Brute' daubed on the inside of his eyelids. There's a dark, ominously looking figure stood at the other side of the Rubicon. What does this mean? Phil gently  drifts off to sleep, confident that life begins at forty.

...It's Monday, 21st of July.

In walks big Phil, only to be greeted with frowns from his colleagues. 'Phil, the party is off', they utter in unison (or USDAW perhaps). The balloons deflate, the trimmings turn a dull shade of grey and Phil knows something is wrong today. 'We want you to hand in your notice Phil. The shareholders have had enough and we need you to fall on your sword for the good of the company'. Dejected, Phil reluctantly agrees to their demands and leaves the office to the strains of It's my party and I'll cry if I want to. His former colleagues reach for their Huxlian style pamphlet, they turn to page one and see the words, 'Welcome to Dave's Brave New world'.

...Meanwhile, and in a parallel universe.

********has expressed, on another thread, his disillusion with the Company's current course. It may well be that he has voiced thoughts that others may harbour.

It could be easy to believe that the Company is doing very well thank you and that all in the garden is rosy given that we at the call centres have undergone incredible expansion and continue to create more and more posts. If you never watched the news or read a newspaper you would be blissfully unaware that Tesco is losing its share of the retail market whilst some of our competitors experience stunning growth and exponential profit gain. Having said that, our purpose is to remain positive throughout these testing times and to continue to do what we do well. We have no direct influence on our share price, but what we do have is a direct influence on maintaining the belief that our customers can contact us when required, in order that we might listen to and also learn from their needs.

I tend to agree with ***** (*****to his bank manager) that while the modernisation of our larger stores looks good, it may prove ultimately fruitless if our customer's patronage continues to drop. You could do your living room out to Queen Elizabeth  II standards but if no-one visits, what's the point of going to those lengths. Aldi and Lidl have seen revenue leap 32% and 20% year-on-year during the 12 weeks ending 20 July, despite there being nothing swanky about their gaffs. Is there something novel that they are doing right and we are doing wrong?

In a recent presentation Phil Clarke ('moneybags' to his gleeful hand-rubbing bank manager) posited that our much heralded Hudl 2 and also the eagerly awaited Hudl phone are things that our discounter competitors will be unable to match. Sorry Phils, our competitors are offering, and will exploit to the maximum their pledge to provide food prices at a level which are proving irresistible.

Many employees, especially public sector workers, have endured several years of pay freezes or minimal pay rises which haven't kept pace with the cost of living. Visits to food banks have doubled in no time at all and many of these people are working folk who have found that their monthly wage doesn't stretch to the end of the month. When your food cupboard is empty, you can't carve up a gadget to feed your loved ones! Jack Cohen must be spinning the beads on his abacus in dismay.

Our tv adverts boast that 'the more you spend, the more you save'. Aldi's and Lidl's adverts ( tell me that the less I spend week to week the more I will save in the short term. It's one thing to have savings on your fuel to glean but if you have less money to spend on food where's the benefit? I believe that Clarke's master plan for recovery has fallen into disarray because of his failure to recognise that it coincided with a period of austerity and that he could win back customers with gadgets and gimmicks. The discounters have made hay while the sun has dimmed on Clarke's vision of sustainable recovery.. Terry Leahy (the CEO of B&M Stores) is part of the discounter revolution. Consumers are targeting those retail outlets that offer them lower and lower prices and are quite prepared to forego any gimmicks in the process. No longer is it prudent to adopt 'shopping snobbery' and avoid discounter stores. Just take a look at the Mercs and BMWs parked in the car park at the top of our road.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man (we hope). Dave Lewis, the man who put love back into Dove (soap that is). No retail experience (maybe that's why the share price has dropped Gazz! despite a knight in shining armour turning up) but maybe that's a good thing. We'll hang our hat on the hope that he will take a fresh look at our empire and bring the progressive changes that our stakeholders are patently hankering for. Did Warren Buffet bail out when he saw the tea leaves settle in an ominous fashion at the bottom of his bone china teacup? Dave runs marathons as a hobby (Phil was red hot with a spring-loaded spice rack, some of you may remember the cringebone-tingling video).

'Drastic Dave's' (google it if you must) initial quandary is how to counteract the proliferation of the discounter stores that threaten to suffocate any growth that we crave, and reassure our shareholders (that's us as well) that we can deliver a world class journey for both our customers and us at the centres. If Dave is the Louis Van Gall of Tesco United, that replaces the tepid David Moyes of Tesco Ununited, he will surely try to neutralise the potency of his 'noisy-neighbours'.
Short term, I believe that we need to look hard at our Clubcard scheme. I'm not convinced that loyalty is gained by offering such schemes in a modern and aggressive retail environment, or at least in a period of financial austerity. Either we overhaul it by scrapping it completely (therein save us upwards of half a billion a year to run it) and plough the revenue into price reductions that entice customers back to the brand that they formerly embraced; or, we offer 'double points' (albeit knee-jerked) as an incentive to shop with us on a regular, and sustained basis to get a shorter term benefit upon redemption (let's tempt them back if we have to?). The current format, in my opinion at least, has become staid, unenterprising, not fit for purpose, and of no real attraction in an ever changing retail landscape. Ask your colleagues around you whether they shop exclusively to get the resultant points? Then ask them whether they use our competitors? And finally, if they do, why?
If you've bumped your gums along this far (fair play) don't think it's all doom and gloom. Talking to our customers on a daily basis is not only enjoyable and informative, but necessary, and will act as a means of reassuring us that we can make a positive difference to our customer's journey. Anyone who has received positive feedback from a customer will testify to the fact that it reinforces the purpose of your well-oiled cog in a big wheel.

It's not all about share price. It's all about people. It's all about listening to people. It's all about listening to the customers who are our people. Hopefully, Dave will listen to the voice of his people.

There really was a party planned, and yes, it was cancelled.

Ps,

'Jacks' in my opinion is an absolute joke of a non-concept. In my humble opinion it epitomises a knee jerk reaction that has pervaded the Tesco boardroom while they punch each other in search of embryonic longevity.

Dave Lewis is a joke  :) :) :)

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #141 on: 13-09-18, 02:35PM »
Our tv adverts boast that 'the more you spend, the more you save'
Which further underlines how out of touch Tesco is - the retailer that also claims to know it's customers better than anyone else - as it still can't comprehend the fact that nobody has more to spend, hence why they are flocking to the discounters. As one of the country's largest private sector employers that has overseen redundancies in the tens of thousands, continues to erode overall packages for its employees and offers only piecemeal low-hour and flexi contracts you would think it would realise this, being at the centre of it.

'Jacks' in my opinion is an absolute joke of a non-concept. In my humble opinion it epitomises a knee jerk reaction that has pervaded the Tesco boardroom while they punch each other in search of embryonic longevity.
Truth. The biggest problem with this whole venture is that it's still Tesco, rather akin to the fake farms - Tesco still pretends that Rosedene Farm is some sort of local producer. Give it time, probably when it is thought to have done its job of reversing market share going to discounters, and it will morph back into normal Tesco gradually through introduction of own label and eventually the name. Nobody outside Tesco who shops at a discounter doesn't even know who the heck 'Jack' is and neither do they care, nor would I guess does anyone inside Tesco with less than 5 or 10 years' service. It's a short sacrifice to win customers back.

If Tesco wanted to seriously compete with the discounters it could do so as, you know, Tesco - the name that was built on the principle of being the consumers champion. It would just need to listen to customers, lower its prices, get rid of all the gimmicky nonsense such as self serve tills (which you don't find at discounters) and improve service instead of farting around with grandoise costly schemes, a bit like it always did before its corporate arrogance took over around 20 years ago, and even more like it did when the real Jack ran the business. The concept of the scheme itself is proof that after nearly a decade Tesco finally recognises that the discounters are credible competitors eating its market share and that it needs to respond, and also that nothing it is doing is working. But this is not innovation it's emulation - it's a case of 'if you can't beat them join them' and thus an admission that we've been ripping customers off for years.

To compete with discounters does not need another brand, another name, another shop on the street. It needs lower prices. But this is today's Tesco - when simplicity is all that's required you can bet for sure that the most overly complex, costly solution will be found. If Jack were still alive, he'd walk into Aldi or Lidl and think they were his legacy as they more closely resemble the principles he built the company on whilst wondering what the hell Tesco is doing. Tesco and its leaders have lost all retail acumen and obsess too much over complexities for this to succeed in the long to medium term.

I'd hate to be in one of those Jacks stores - the expectation and pressure for them to deliver will be unmanageable and it will be those poor store teams who take the blame when it doesn't live up. This will backfire - if Jacks is seen as a 'discounter' then that means Tesco will be thus be seen as 'the expensive alternative side to the brand'. You can market, spin and dress this up however you wish but its still Tesco and that means the same blood flows through it, the same profit-centric blood that sees customers as an inconvenient cog in the wheel of taking money. Customers are fatigued with all that fakery which is another factor in the decision to shop elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 13-09-18, 02:42PM by OvaSees »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #142 on: 13-09-18, 02:41PM »
Much as I appreciate comments/opinions on the 'new' discounter stores (new topic anyone  :question:) this topic concerns shares.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

fargone

• Smart Arse
« Reply #143 on: 13-09-18, 06:20PM »
Got some spare cash? Then buy some Silver or Gold. Very cheap at the moment.

« Reply #144 on: 03-10-18, 02:37PM »
 :thumbdown: They've plummeted again.

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #145 on: 03-10-18, 04:16PM »
Cos the shareholders wanted to see more of a profit margin!!! Dave Lewis must have promised them the earth!!!

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #146 on: 03-10-18, 07:04PM »
Thing is we are still making 4% margin. If it was any higher surely we would be accused of excess profits at a time food bank usage has increased

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #147 on: 03-10-18, 08:21PM »
True but all the business press today look at the figures and say there weaker then expected so who's driving there expiations and shareholders???

« Reply #148 on: 16-10-18, 04:47PM »
down again

barafear

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #149 on: 16-10-18, 05:17PM »
weaker than expected growth figures.
Aldi powering ahead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk