News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 05:42AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 432
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 410
Total: 411

Investigation

Started by Guftagu, 14-06-20, 10:27PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guftagu

What happens after an investigation, do the managers that chaired the meeting make the decision or can it be someone else as well?

Katarn2000

The manager that does the investigation, not the note taker, would normally make the decision. They will likely be influenced heavily by what the store manager wants though.

Redshoes

The manager who does the investigation can decide no further action, coaching or disciplinary. If it goes to disciplinary they make recommendations but if possible it goes to another manager who looks at the recommendations but it is them that decide. If it is no further action or coaching the investigation manager can continue.

Francia

I am a Tesco customer from Kormend.  Question: what is the nature of the links between Tesco and the merchants of the marchande gallery?  I paid 4910 florint a bottle of alcoholic gel of 60 ml.
I take advantage of this post to inform you of the hostility of certain employees of the store towards my person.  Recently six employees decided to refuse me the right to benefit from a promotional offer.  I had to show authority in the face of employees made up into a pack.  I deplore a certain aggressiveness towards me, probably due to the reason that I am not Hungarian.
I am a permanent resident in Hungary.

Nomad

Francia, I am afraid you may have misunderstood the purpose of VeryLittleHelps.com, I am also sorry to read that you are having problems.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 15-06-20, 06:20AM
The manager who does the investigation can decide no further action, coaching or disciplinary. If it goes to disciplinary they make recommendations but if possible it goes to another manager who looks at the recommendations but it is them that decide. If it is no further action or coaching the investigation manager can continue.

To add, Tesco emphasises that the process is impartial, even if the disciplining manager followed the suggestion from a biased investigation manager to discipline, the disciplinary given would have to fit the level of the misconduct or incident and be applicable, Tesco has this process in place to protect themselves from potential unfair dismissal cases, on appeal, a completely uninvolved manager reads the case and can quash disciplinaries if it's not in the interests of the business from a legal perspective to have given a disciplinary.

Veryhelpful2020

I’ve just been told I have an investigation meeting. I am a corona temp that’s just had their contract extended...

When I say contact, I haven’t signed a thing as it was chaotic 12 weeks ago so apparently from turning up and being paid, I haven’t received any training.

Anyway, I’ve been told that I am in the wrong for picking something up in the store and leaving it in another place in order to pay for when I could get my wallet. I’ve been told that I was holding off stock for other colleagues and customers to purchase.

Seems a tad extreme but any advice welcome.

Hammer10

One word pathetic I do it all the time.

lucgeo

If you put it to one side ( hidden it ) for a considerable length of time..then yes they can say that, especially if the item was a reduced to clear, bargain etc...and you beat the manager to it before they could get their mits on it!!
But if it was for the sake of a few minutes whilst you went for your money to pay for it...then they're being pathetic.

Either way you state that, as a new employee with no training regarding staff purchases, you were unaware of any wrongdoing, and " going forward" you intend to use this as "a learning curve" and " share the knowledge" with any other new employees who may also be in ignorance to this policy.  (-*-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Quote from: Hammer10 on 17-06-20, 12:25PM
One word pathetic I do it all the time.

SNAP!!  :D

Veryhelpful2020

Thanks for the advice.

It was probably for about 40 mins as I was on my own so had to wait for my colleague to return before I could purchase it.

The items never left the shop floor. Unlike the items I’m continually asked to keep aside for people (managers included) to buy “later” so that’s another thing I’m going to point out.

Am I right in assuming that all employees should be given a “warm welcome” induction at the start of their employment along with other key pieces of documentation or at least signposted for how to access things like company procedures?

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-06-20, 12:35PM
If you put it to one side ( hidden it ) for a considerable length of time..then yes they can say that, especially if the item was a reduced to clear, bargain etc...and you beat the manager to it before they could get their mits on it!!
But if it was for the sake of a few minutes whilst you went for your money to pay for it...then they're being pathetic.

Either way you state that, as a new employee with no training regarding staff purchases, you were unaware of any wrongdoing, and " going forward" you intend to use this as "a learning curve" and " share the knowledge" with any other new employees who may also be in ignorance to this policy.  (-*-) >:(

Unless the situation is as you described (deliberately concealing) then there is no policy regarding placing an item in another location, as long as other customers can access it then there is no issue. If this is what has happened and you're being disciplined for it, lodge an appeal and a grievance for victimisation and harrassment, I'm currently trying to get my local MP to push through legislation to be able to give employment tribunal judges the power to fine employers 100% of the companies net worth if the level of illegality and misconduct warrants it so.

If you took it out back, then yes, technically you're in tbe wrong, but a lack of awareness of policy due to no training means you can't be disciplined for it.

hot_chick

Do tesco have to prove you intended to do something  on purpose or do they just have to think you intended to do something on purpose. Im having a disciplinary over something I did that was an accident but they dont believe me and are saying they don't needed any evidence, to proof one way or other..

Also the search bar at top is saying an error occurred when i try and use it to search topics???

[admin]Search is a function gifted to VLH Supporters.[/admin]

Redshoes

Policy says you can't put something aside to pay for later.
However, if you are seeing this with others and have not been briefed on this it's a coaching/training issue.

lucgeo

What is the definition of putting something aside?? Who gets to decide how it is interpreted ???

My interpretation would be...to completely remove the product from sale, therefore denying others the opportunity to purchase it, as it is the last one available to purchase.

My understanding from the OP is that they did not remove it from the shop floor, it was still available for purchase, which would make the time lapse in purchasing the product irrelevant. It isn't stated whether it was the last product available?

lucgeo

Quote from: hot_chick on 17-06-20, 02:49PM
Do Tesco have to prove you intended to do something  on purpose or do they just have to think you intended to do something on purpose. I'm having a disciplinary over something I did that was an accident but they don't believe me and are saying they don't needed any evidence, to proof one way or other..

They use and mostly abuse the "balance of probability" in most meetings...I.e. Instead of actually making any effort to support and understand their colleagues, they state that you are guilty as charged, because it's something you would have done based on a % of probability.

Get a rep, argue if they can't prove it wasn't done accidentally, why and how do they expect you to prove it was?? You are stating it as fact it was an accident, to therefore decide it was not, based on probability, they are basing it on their own personality flaws to interpret and you take offence of being branded a liar!!!

Get it all written down in the notes!!

alf

Ehh really depends on context

Hypothetical situation, over a period of time I "accidentally forget" to scan items for a customer.

Not scanning does happen so it could well be an accident, however, if the context was that it was the same customer over a period of time, and if the items were expensive..

I can't prove it was an accident, tesco can't prove it wasn't, but given the context I would still expect a disciplinary leading to dismissal.

lucgeo

I get where you're coming from with that scenario...but there would be evidence of it happening from monitoring on the put throughs, cameras etc...over a length of time, to support the accusation, and prove beyond reasonable doubt.

I can only respond to what the OP said, which was that they have no evidence, and have stated they don't need any to prove guilt or innocence  ???

alf

To be honest, I was assuming that "no evidence" bit was hyperbole. Typically in these situations when they're posted on here the user makes their side sound better, or leaves out information.

Granted that's just my assumption, if there truly is no evidence, I'd imagine it'll be a pretty easy appeal if it gets that far.

lucgeo

Understandable...but far too many disciplinaries based merely on the balance of probability, are becoming extremely commonplace. Mainly by arrogant managers bluffing and pushing it through to a disciplinary.

Some of the statements these managers actually make, beggars belief, especially as they are oblivious to how ridiculous they sound!

Hmmm...may make a good new thread...the one that always sticks in my mind...a colleague went straight to a final warning for something a manager had authorised...during the appeal, the senior manager asked..."if you didn't think you were doing wrong, why did you ask the manager for permission first?"  ??? :-X

gomezz

Quote from: lucgeo on 18-06-20, 09:08AMMy understanding from the OP is that they did not remove it from the shop floor, it was still available for purchase
I think I am missing something here.  What is the point of moving an item in this way ???
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Maybe the op took the item, forgot their wallet, placed it down in a different section immediately as soon as they realised to go grab their wallet.

lucgeo

Quote from: gomezz on 18-06-20, 08:52PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 18-06-20, 09:08AMMy understanding from the OP is that they did not remove it from the shop floor, it was still available for purchase
I think I am missing something here.  What is the point of moving an item in this way ???

Did it many times myself, picked something up and placed on a shelf near checkouts, then went to collect my things from locker and clock out. Saved time going back to far end of shopfloor to pick up and possibly being stopped and delayed by customers en route.

Redshoes

There are huge differences to scenarios we can all come up with. The main point is if it was done knowingly or not.
If someone who has never had the brief sees others do it and has not been told it's wrong will think it's allowed and a sort of perk to the job.
On the other hand there is someone who knows it should not happen but pushes the boundaries or totally ignores them is in breach.

Veryhelpful2020

Turned up to be told that the wrong date was on my letter and I would have to be given a new letter which hasn’t happened.

Just so I’m in the know, 24 hours notice still has to be formally given and also, seeing as I got my first notification in writing, I would assume this would have to happen again in the form of another letter?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk