News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 429
Total: 429

Vanishing overtime

Started by Tazd9t9, 12-04-23, 08:57AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy20

Quote from: Mikoo on 04-06-23, 01:05PMFrog changed last week I believe. If a shift gets manually added rather than being picked up legit from extra hours then it flashes up for the Store Manager to see so he/her can then delete it and b*****k the person who manually put it out there. Its all part of the new world order.

So if you are a team support/shift leader/manager do not ever manually allocate a shift now cos you will be found out.
This doesn't take into account the reality of things...

It happens fairly regularly in our store that someone will call in sick or otherwise blow out for an evening shift. They call the manager in the morning. The manager knows there are 2 or 3 of us who don't mind coming in for an evening on overtime, so they message and ask if we can come in tonight. Tesco gets the shift covered and we get an extra bit of overtime.
I can't see any efficient way of doing that via the app.

fatlad

Overtime can still be authorised if needed within 24hrs without having to use the app

wrighar

Is it true that overtime/extra shifts in other stores to your 'home' store is now limited to 4 weeks  (whatever that is or equates too).

Daughter has just gone to uni and put on study leave from home store, but wants to work uni store term time and home store holiday times.

Apparently the 4 week limit is new. There were no permy jobs for her to transfer too.

The staying with here fixed weekend hours at her home store and picking up shaifts around uni work at her uni store would work well for both store and daughter it would seem.

She's already done a couple of shifts this week.

Dotcomnumber1

Hi,does anyone know how overtime is being paid these days,wage clerk tells me that as a driver,if I do overtime on a checkout,I will only be paid a checkout operators wage and not a van drivers hourly rate ,  p.s. r.i.p Nomad  :'(

JJH

I don't think that's particularly new.

Frankly rightly so, why should someone get a skill payment whilst they aren't performing that skill

Dotcomnumber1

I don't make the rules

Thanks for your opinion though

Anyone else got an answer to the question ??

lucgeo

@Dotcomnumber1

It's been like that for quite a while now, if you're working on a lower band department you receive the lower band rate. It's  also the same vice versa.

In terms of basic logistics, why would they pay a higher rate to someone doing overtime on a department costing more out of the overtime budget?

Years ago we used to have a baker who worked shopfloor overtime every Sunday ( double pay ) receiving a baker's hourly rate.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Dotcomnumber1

Lucgeo

Yeah totally get from a business point of view that it's a fair economy as well as an equal pay deal,just was surprised it hadn't been announced we'll enough. :-X

Tazd9t9

Quote from: Dotcomnumber1 on 10-09-23, 09:11PMHi,does anyone know how overtime is being paid these days,wage clerk tells me that as a driver,if I do overtime on a checkout,I will only be paid a checkout operators wage and not a van drivers hourly rate ,  p.s. r.i.p Nomad  :'(
well why would you be paid as a driver if you are on a till?

WAGs

Quote from: Tazd9t9 on 13-09-23, 02:21PM
Quote from: Dotcomnumber1 on 10-09-23, 09:11PMHi,does anyone know how overtime is being paid these days,wage clerk tells me that as a driver,if I do overtime on a checkout,I will only be paid a checkout operators wage and not a van drivers hourly rate ,  p.s. r.i.p Nomad  :'(
well why would you be paid as a driver if you are on a till?
It is correct that on overtime you do not get your Drivers premium!  But if you were back from a run and they ask you on your contracted shifts you would be paid drivers rate if you were ask to go Checkouts to help as Multi-skilled!  Only overtime shifts you don't!

werman4

I have been having overtime I have pick up on the app suddenly being shortened the day before or on the day when I ask about it I am told the system dose it automatically is this true or bull

King1999

Not sure something kicked off in our store and I think you are suppose to have 72 hours notice,national union rep got involved so there's a strong whiff of bs which is what the company runs on now.

lucgeo

Quote from: werman4 on 04-10-23, 10:24AMI have been having overtime I have pick up on the app suddenly being shortened the day before or on the day when I ask about it I am told the system dose it automatically is this true or bull
I'm not familiar with the new system of booking overtime on the app, so when your O/T is authorised, is it your responsibility to then check every day for any changes before the date of authorised shift?

The old way was when overtime was booked, if the hours changed or the shift was removed, it was the responsibility of the manager to inform you, within agreed  timescale, to enable you to either refuse the change or cancel it!

If they failed to inform you and you turned up for agreed shift, then they were obliged to let  you work those hours and pay you! So I would assume that still stands, bearing in mind if you don't turn up for an agreed O/T shift it's classed as AWOL, or goes on your sickness % if you call in sick!

So my advice... if the onus isn't on you to check for changes, DON'T check and turn up, unless advised verbally during the agreed timeframe.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

Actually it's not, if you pick up any shifts your still supposed to be notified of changes, and if your required to use the app to check then it's to be done in work time.

And according to the Contract information on guide to the tesco store/cfc hourly paid contract, it states this:

Tesco will always aim to honour the commitment when offering overtime. In the unusual event where the overtime shift is no longer required, this may not be cancelled any later than 72 hours prior to the shift, and where the company does cancel an EHM shift within 48 hours, the colleague will still be paid for the shift. However, colleagues and managers can mutually agree to modify the shift, for example, moving the shift back an hour on the day.   

"5. Cancelling Extra Hour Shifts
Colleagues who have picked up extra hours from the EHM can cancel them up to 48 hours before the shift is due to be worked. They do this by speaking to their manager. Eventually colleagues will be able to do this via the system.

Where a colleague wishes to cancel an extra hours shift within 48 hours of the overtime shift, they should speak to their manager who will arrange for the shift to be re-advertised on the EHM. Colleagues will retain the responsibility of working the shift if it is not picked up by another colleague on EHM, so will need to check back regularly to see if the shift has not been picked up.  Any non-attendance of the shift would follow the normal non-notification/unauthorised absence process (which allows for mitigating circumstances where a colleague has been unable to contact the store).

Where a colleague needs to cancel an overtime shift within 48 hours due to an emergency, we will follow the normal Time Off policy.

Where a colleague is unable to attend an overtime shift due to sickness, we will follow the normal Sickness Absence policy.

Colleagues who repeatedly pick up and cancel an overtime shift may be investigated in line with the misconduct policy.

Tesco will always aim to honour the commitment when offering overtime. In the unusual event where the overtime shift is no longer required, this may not be cancelled any later than 72 hours prior to the shift, and where the company does cancel an EHM shift within 48 hours, the colleague will still be paid for the shift. However, colleagues and managers can mutually agree to modify the shift, for example, moving the shift back an hour on the day."

Managers are allocated hours for overtime, they can publish this up to 3 weeks in advance (Increased notice period for scheduled shifts of 3 weeks (from a minimum of 24 hours), if the hours are no longer required, they'll need to adjust it manually.

it was only recently that adding shifts to the system in multiples was added as a feature, before it was every shift was separate.

The old way still stands from what Lucgeo said as 72 hours was in the old policy, and has transferred over to the new and existing contracts, so if you've been given OT for 7.5 hours and then 48 hours prior you've been told you are only needed for 4 hours, your still required to be paid for the shift...

We have had a few on ours on merchandise that came in on the Toy change over and were told to go home cause there wasn't any overtime, that was settled for them being paid for their shift since they were allocated the hours and not upholded to it within notice period, one was furious at first before finding out about the information from other colleagues who had been affected before and spoke to the union rep at the time and surprisingly the union rep was on the colleague's side for a change of pace.

Pathfinder

We have a new manger who hasn't put any overtime on the app ..but gives it to her favourite staff so nobody else gets a chance to pick up any extra shifts .
My question is should overtime be placed on app so everyone is treated fairly and get a chance to work .and if so is this company process / policy ?

kaled78

this happens inmy store as well,but it's done to prevent useless or lazy people from picking up shifts where you need someone capable in the role instead

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Pathfinder on 15-01-24, 07:49AMWe have a new manger who hasn't put any overtime on the app ..but gives it to her favourite staff so nobody else gets a chance to pick up any extra shifts .
My question is should overtime be placed on app so everyone is treated fairly and get a chance to work .and if so is this company process / policy ?
All overtime is required to be on the app, only exceptions such as on the day are allowed to not be on the app, so definitely report this, it's a constant thing mentioned in the communication of stores daily news, whereby under the terms of the usdaw deal for fair working arrangements etc that everyone has equal opportunities in acquiring it and any colleague who doesn't have the app can request to look at it via tablet / mpc and should be given time with management to fully understand how to acquire it etc.

So if you don't feel comfortable raising it in person, do it via protector line and notice how quick it changes...

Have to do it every so often in ours, you'd think they'd learn..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk