Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-04-24, 12:21AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,434
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 290
Total: 291

Night shift leaders running store on their own!

Started by Old dinosour, 11-04-24, 06:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old dinosour

Hi Iam a night shift leader and along with my other newly shift leader are left running the whole by our self there is no manager present for a week and Saturday and Sunday they put as in for over time without our knowledge. One night manager is on holiday the other long term sick . My question is are we supposed to get top up pay Night manager pay ) for running the business on our own? Or should there be a manager present to take the responsibility. We have no back door guy so Iam doing back door plus running the store and we have to deal with theft every night. There was incident where some broke in after close and took stuff. Any help will do thanks in advance. We feel we are getting missed used by our managers/store

lucgeo

Lock the door and contact head office /protector line and inform that they are failing in their duty of care...that you are concerned for yours and others safety and have no training in running a store as a manager as you are a shift leader!!

Do you have the correct PPE for back door duties as in hi-vis and protective footwear?
Overtime is not compulsory and should be arranged by mutual agreement on a 7 day prior agreement. 24 hours in exception al circumstances nay, which should be cited and proven as exceptional! If you weren't informed personally then you don't go in, end of!

If you are performing management duties then it should be agreed and correct top up payment made. If you have not been advised that you are covering for management duties then you don't do it, trust me...if the proverbial hits the fan YOU will be held responsible and they will disassociate themselves from you as you had no permission, written or verbal from Tesco to assume management responsibilities.

N*B* that word on your forehead that you're seeing in the mirror doesn't say gum my friend  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

General Thorn

My store closes at 10pm and generally 1 shiftleader is in charge from 6-7pm. They are given a list of tasks from the outgoing manager that has to be done by the next day. Managers don't do back door at all so all that is left to s/ls.

Davethebave

The daily running of the business is classed as a shift leaders responsibility. In this case, the delivery of the night operation in your store. So, no you do not get a top up pay when no manager is in the building as it's your role to do that. You must, however, have completed all the relevant training to be left alone in the store.

oldfashionedplayer

there is a role pack on the site, colleague help - role packs in search, "Large Stores My Role Packs"

which mentions about a job role for the Shift leader To do:

If you've no experience with it, or not fully capable etc then you should NOT be doing it and should be raising it as an issue to be worked on with training as above stated its a Duty of care etc and they will definitely throw you under the bus at any opportunity.

Fully validated and competent to complete duty
coverage including opening and closing the store
across the trading week/being a key holder.

So worth checking out that of whats included in your role and what isn't so you know what to expect, as you'll likely get stuff thrown on you plenty of times being in that role now.

Old dinosour

We are large extra store so not having a back door effect the delivering the store because you will have lorry after lorry Thurack, milk other Thurack and the deginham at 2-3am.bread at 4-5 no possible to sort fresh team plus have to do the splits for fresh . Team fill set up for grocery before 3. All by your self plus opening and closing the store and dealing with theft because security is useless. Fire alarm going off because of theft etc. but After talking to a union member I have been told  if you work more than 1 hour in any department you have to be paid that rate. So I have called people for over time etc because rota is a joke so does that not mean  night manger pay ? Haveing  all the responsibilities to deliver the store. So far no day manager has said anything to me about not delivering some areas because of staff issues or leaving some cages behind.

Davethebave

As I said, it's up to the shift leader to deliver the fill of the store now.

It still falls to the night managers to plan, resource and manage colleagues. You can only deliver with what you are being given.

oldfashionedplayer

Do what you can do, if you can't finish, too bad, don't go overboard, make notes of it if need be showing where you are lacking and if you asked for more help etc so if you do get pulled up you can go "this this and this is what is happening and nothing is being done about it"

Just track each day and cover your own back, cause they'll quickly pass the blame. But also don't work yourself to death or into mental breakdown trying to do the impossible if you haven't got what you need that day / night

lucgeo

@Old dinosour

My apologies, I assumed you were working in a small express not an extra!!!

I can't believe how Tesco has been allowed to drop so many standards, having poorly paid team leaders take the responsibility of a store whilst the senior team are still in their comfy well paid position.

N*B* (courtesy of oldfashionedplayer) If you've no experience with it, or not fully capable etc then you should NOT be doing it and should be raising it as an issue to be worked on with training as above stated its a Duty of care etc and they will definitely throw you under the bus at any opportunity.

So if you've been validated but finding it too much to deal with, then express your concerns and ask for support. If both of you feel the same, then both ask for support.

I have to ask though...why are any team leaders accepting these roles?? It's a total p**s take and you'd be better thought of in the discounters.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

I don't get why they take the role either, our managers complaining atm too that the pay between staff and management is too close and say they deserve far more than us, they picked the role... The weren't forced into it  ???

If the roles are that similar may aswell just drop back down? No?   ;D

penguin

Quote from: lucgeo on 15-04-24, 07:58AM@Old dinosour

My apologies, I assumed you were working in a small express not an extra!!!

I can't believe how Tesco has been allowed to drop so many standards, having poorly paid team leaders take the responsibility of a store whilst the senior team are still in their comfy well paid position.

N*B* (courtesy of oldfashionedplayer) If you've no experience with it, or not fully capable etc then you should NOT be doing it and should be raising it as an issue to be worked on with training as above stated its a Duty of care etc and they will definitely throw you under the bus at any opportunity.

So if you've been validated but finding it too much to deal with, then express your concerns and ask for support. If both of you feel the same, then both ask for support.

I have to ask though...why are any team leaders accepting these roles?? It's a total p**s take and you'd be better thought of in the discounters.
It was not much better back in the day if truth be told, we all know the tales of people being given made up job roles like "hot prospects" and having to cover duty, run nights, be keyholder over Christmas, do anything a manager ordered them to do etc etc, all for no extra money until it all either got to much or something went wrong, then senior team and the SM would chuck the poor sod under the nearest bus, shift leaders get a bit extra money but the same treatment by the sounds of it. The more things change the more they stay the same as the old saying goes.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk