News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Heatmap

Started by beahead, 21-06-20, 11:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beahead

I have no availability on saturdays , put this on form , now I'm being asked (told) that I must work saturday, because we need to support some other people who need to move from over hours dept, is this right? Is cash office and csd one department? The pay grades are different

Bean23

Depends on your reason for not working Saturday e.g. Your a carer or another job your shifts with 4 wks notice can be changed. is it just because you don't want to work weekends. Cash office is no longer classed as skilled  however if you work in a dept that pays higher rate you should be paid that difference for the hours you do. 

lucgeo

Is this the same situation that you were having previously?
Are they still trying to get you to move your days to accommodate a CO employee moving into your current shifts?

Cash office does come under the same umbrella as CSD, however if they move that person to CSD permanently then they will be put on the higher rate, as the request is theirs and not the employees to move.

Again, if you are not contracted to Saturday's, and have no availability stated for that day, then they would have to PROVE it is a " needs of the business" situation. Just to accommodate another person is not a needs of the business, as they should be having that person fitting into the required Saturday shift.
From what I recall from your previous posts on this, the colleague from the CO is unable or unwilling to do certain days, and you are being told you have to move your shifts to accommodate this colleague taking your shifts??

Again I urge you to seek the help and assistance of a rep regarding this.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

kaled78

the backdoor staff in my store were moved from 5am starts until 8am starts,due to needs of the business,they got round it saying fresh nights would cover backdoor as they were there until 8am,even though the union fought for the 2 guys,the store manager got his way

lucgeo

The window of change from 5 am - 8am would not be considered unreasonable and they couldn't finish later due to acceptable reasons, such as other recognised commitments etc.  however I hope their premium pay for the 5am- 6am ( if it still exists) was protected in the agreement.

lackofinterest

Quote from: kaled78 on 22-06-20, 11:13AM
the backdoor staff in my store were moved from 5am starts until 8am starts,due to needs of the business,they got round it saying fresh nights would cover backdoor as they were there until 8am,even though the union fought for the 2 guys,the store manager got his way
"union fought"  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seymee

Can anyone offer me some advice.  I was moved earlier in the year because of the heatmap to a department I didn't want to be on but I did it to keep a job, last month I applied for a job in another department that I successfully got.  Now that department has to lose hours.  So muggings here might be forced into another heatmap move, the second in a year. Surely I can appeal this?

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

sammy

You can be moved every 3 months now

londoner83

The business is increasingly trying to move to the Aldi model where you work in a branch, rather than on a specific department.  Think changes like you have experienced will occur more and more in coming months.

King1999

Won't work still too many people overly relied on in stores.........if anything the way they've gone about it all makes you want to do even less.

Seymee

we've been told there will be no redundancies but every department apart from dot com is over hours so there is no where to move people as the deli staff need jobs first.

So if they are wanting to lose hours but not lose staff its obvious they are going after those on 30 hour contracts and will be forcing them into part time flexis.

King1999

Can't force you to lose hours,they would have to offer redundancy.They will just make the job even more unbearable and wait for people to leave,retire.....it might suit some reducing hours but it has to be agreed.

Seymee

they will probably go for those they want rid of most and send them to stock control in the hope they just quit.

King1999

Agreed,they've well and truly destroyed that department.i know I could walk out everyday its that bad.

lucgeo

If you want redundancy...stick to the contracted hours/days/ shifts you do now, on your availability form.

If you don't want redundancy, only offer your availability on what you can honestly do...or take a drop in the hours/pay you can really manage to live on. Don't be bullied, as to doing shifts you may have problems with, or losing hours you can't afford.

Further down the line if you encounter problems with either, it will fall on deaf ears...very rarely do they increase people's contracted hours, (unless you're related to a manager) so eventually you could be managed out of the business, for non fulfilment of contract.

King1999

Quote from: lucgeo on 03-08-20, 02:58PM
If you want redundancy...stick to the contracted hours/days/ shifts you do now, on your availability form.

If you don't want redundancy, only offer your availability on what you can honestly do...or take a drop in the hours/pay you can really manage to live on. Don't be bullied, as to doing shifts you may have problems with, or losing hours you can't afford.

Further down the line if you encounter problems with either, it will fall on deaf ears...very rarely do they increase people's contracted hours, (unless you're related to a manager) so eventually you could be managed out of the business, for non fulfilment of contract.
Exactly 👍

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: beahead on 21-06-20, 11:03PM
I have no availability on saturdays , put this on form , now I'm being asked (told) that I must work saturday, because we need to support some other people who need to move from over hours dept, is this right? Is cash office and csd one department? The pay grades are different

No it's not right you should not be asked to move to hrs not suitable to you to make way for someone else...that is not what the heat map is about..ask to see the business plan..let the people being moved over pick up the saturday it's not how it is done..get yourself a good Union Rep.

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: King1999 on 03-08-20, 02:45PM
Can't force you to lose hours,they would have to offer redundancy.They will just make the job even more unbearable and wait for people to leave,retire.....it might suit some reducing hours but it has to be agreed.

True they can't but what they can do to get round this is put everyone in the department into consultation and ask whats the least amount of hours you can do, this is where all those on 30 hours either have to decide whether to willingly put themselves forward for reduced hours or list their current hours and hope for redundancy but my advice to anyone on 30 hours going into consultation is be careful because chances are on hours like that you will be sent to dot com if they aren't willing to pay out redundancy. 

The truth of the matter is that for years now they have been using the heatmap as  a way of pushing everyone onto flexis. If you are not on a flexi its you they are coming for.

Also no one in green shifts can be forced out via the heatmap to make way for someone else who's shifts are in the red. If that is happening it has to be flagged up although dont expect much help from the union. My advice again is get your people manager involved.

Welshie

I am led to believe that the rule about moving one person to accommodate another changed and that back in February both managers and union reps were at training sessions about this !

NightAndDay

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 13-08-20, 11:18AM
Quote from: King1999 on 03-08-20, 02:45PM

True they can't but what they can do to get round this is put everyone in the department into consultation and ask whats the least amount of hours you can do, this is where all those on 30 hours either have to decide whether to willingly put themselves forward for reduced hours or list their current hours and hope for redundancy but my advice to anyone on 30 hours going into consultation is be careful because chances are on hours like that you will be sent to dot com if they aren't willing to pay out redundancy. 

The truth of the matter is that for years now they have been using the heatmap as  a way of pushing everyone onto flexis. If you are not on a flexi its you they are coming for.

Also no one in green shifts can be forced out via the heatmap to make way for someone else who's shifts are in the red. If that is happening it has to be flagged up although dont expect much help from the union. My advice again is get your people manager involved.

Consultants will still be aware of redundancy laws, a drop in pay or hours unless agreed with by the effected will be protected by redundancy laws. The implication of your comment about dot com is that dot com is some sort of work camp to force resignations by "trouble maker" employees (read employees that know their rights) and would suggest to the innocuous observer that there are legally questionable work place practices that happen there that our good friends at the ET and government body regulators would love to fine Tesco for.

Seymee

Quote from: Welshie on 13-08-20, 01:36PM
I am led to believe that the rule about moving one person to accommodate another changed and that back in February both managers and union reps were at training sessions about this !

I really hope not.

Nomad

Being 'involuntarily' moved to accommodate another person is something that a great number of people would, understandably,  have a real problem with.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Oh I wholeheartedly agree BUT managers and union near me were at a training session about this back in feb/March.  Niether Tesco or usdaw are going to shout about changing this policy and then obviously with covid nothing has happened till now . I do think it's only hours not department that you can be moved to accommodate someone else but not sure . It will be interesting to see now things are returning to normal ish,  if any obvious policy changes have happened.

Seymee

My understanding of the heatmap although I could be wrong is that if person 1 is all on red shifts and person 2 is on half red/half green then person 2 cannot be moved department to accommodate person 1. The heatmap is designed to make it this way if used correctly but maybe someone else knows better.

Munchkin

So moving one person forcibly to accomadate another is against basic employment standards regardless of any tesco policy or union agreement a person would have the basic employment right to refuse which could then go to contractual notice and opens the floodgates for tribunal claims the heatmap is a staff scheduling guideline it is not to be feared and cannot ever be implemented fully neither can it be used as a tool to harass and bully people into moving around the business so anyone who cannot move their hours for genuine reasons or does not feel willing to do so to accommodate someone else make that point clearly and firmly once at the beginning of any consultation process verbally and in writing and further pressure to move is recorded as bullying if someone does move their hours because they are mislead and told their current hours are not needed then finds someone else in their old hours simply issue a written notice of misrepresentation and state the reasons just mentioned and that therefore you will be attending work back on your old hours from your chosen date they won't have a leg to stand on I know because I have been in the situation and that's exactly what I did

[gmod=gomezz]Please in future can you break up your posts into sentences and paragraphs. This monolithic post is unpleasant to read and hard to understand.[/gmod]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk