News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:22PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 287
Total: 288

Cleaners & cleaning

Started by Nomad, 23-07-20, 11:24AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 12-08-20, 02:07PM
Quote from: notsofunny on 11-08-20, 06:44PM
I have spoken to 6 Express store mangers ,,, All have said they are not being given any extra hours to cover the hours that will be needed to clean the stores , In fact all have been told to cut the wage bill they have at the Moment , they have even been told that they can't employ the Cleaners they have and are about to lose them or anyone else to specifically to cover Cleaning in store.  Also Cleaning is to be done both in the morning and evening by staff, so the propaganda they put out about Extra pay roll is all Lies ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, >:(

That's just scaremongering - and you know it. There's no way cleaning can be done without increasing hours. The cleaner works approx 2 hours a day in our store, so that's 14 hours a week. If Tesco matches that with overtime, they will still be making a huge saving over the existing arrangements.

The stores that have not been given cleaning hours are now overmanned due to lack of sales during covid.  Some stores who were spending 6k on payroll taking 90k in sales are now spending the same on payroll to take 40, 50, 60k.

Stores who are spending 6k on payroll but have now increased or maintained their sales during covid should be given some cleaning hours. 

The timing isnt great as Tesco are also removing hours for simplification of tasks or inflation.  Goods now cost more so we are serving less customers and touching less stock to make the same money.

I'm no Tesco apologist but a lot of stores should be able to complete the cleaning of their stores without additional payroll hours.   

Nomad

Quotea lot of stores should be able to complete the cleaning of their stores without additional payroll hours.

Funny, I don't remember Tesco mentioning that aspect in any of their press releases concerning cancelling of cleaners and staff taking over the cleaning duties  ???

It's no wonder that trust is a casualty of the modern society  >:(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Rad

Do you think giving stores who are now 35-50 hours overmanned additional hours to clean is a good business decision?

Do you think we should be telling the press that we are charging 10% more for our products than we were before covid?  Even though inflation costs have caused this?  The story would still be about us overcharging customers.

Rad

Quote from: Nomad on 26-08-20, 11:10AM
Quotea lot of stores should be able to complete the cleaning of their stores without additional payroll hours.

Funny, I don't remember Tesco mentioning that aspect in any of their press releases concerning cancelling of cleaners and staff taking over the cleaning duties  ???

It's no wonder that trust is a casualty of the modern society  >:(

Every Tesco Express SM was told how many additional cleaning hours they would be given or whether they were receiving none.  It's up the those store managers to communicate that to their colleagues.  I don't believe it would be included in press releases.

King1999

If your struggling to fill shelves and man a till,I'm sorry but cleaning will always fall behind maybe getting a few stores shut on hygiene fails might wake these ignorant tossers up.A massive key factor is I would also point out the company has destroyed all trust with its workforce so sorry and all that but things are going to start failing.If you feel used you will struggle to get more out of people.

Nomad

Every advertisement or press release, by any company, is a carefully constructed video/missive with the intention to confuse and/or mislead, rarely wholly untrue but certainly less than the whole truth.

It is a shame that it is not only the number crunchers that have taken over, but the wordsmiths also have a lot to answer for.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Quote from: King1999 on 26-08-20, 05:25PM
If your struggling to fill shelves and man a till,I'm sorry but cleaning will always fall behind maybe getting a few stores shut on hygiene fails might wake these ignorant tossers up.A massive key factor is I would also point out the company has destroyed all trust with its workforce so sorry and all that but things are going to start failing.If you feel used you will struggle to get more out of people.

We need legislation which imposes proper promotion, pay and hiring practices in Retail, good managers are like managers in other industries, well educated (usually to degree standard), intelligent both intellectually and emotionally and possessing good mathematical skills, they are also very professional and un-matey boyish in the way they conduct themselves, unlike most of the current managers who are mainly in place because a friend of the family bonked the manager one day and are now trading favours. Even the fluff the directors came up with about an "experiment" that has taken place shows that employees taking ownership of more processes leads to better results, they would get more respect if they just said it how it is, a cost cutting exercise, they don't need a PR team for that, they probably contribute less to the business than the cleaners.

whatajoke2019

Sorry if this comes across as off topic but just because things appear to work well for the likes of the German discounters doesn't mean it'll work well for others.

Is it a cost cutting exercise, absolutely? Take the recent announcement about the new jobs. Great, it'll mean less people having to seek employment elsewhere during these uncertain times but what about those people who now very likely to be struggling to find work because someone had the wonderful idea to put paid to their work within the company?

notsofunny

Quote from: Rad on 26-08-20, 10:40AM
Quote from: Teddybonkers on 12-08-20, 02:07PM
Quote from: notsofunny on 11-08-20, 06:44PM
I have spoken to 6 Express store mangers ,,, All have said they are not being given any extra hours to cover the hours that will be needed to clean the stores , In fact all have been told to cut the wage bill they have at the Moment , they have even been told that they can't employ the Cleaners they have and are about to lose them or anyone else to specifically to cover Cleaning in store.  Also Cleaning is to be done both in the morning and evening by staff, so the propaganda they put out about Extra pay roll is all Lies ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, >:(

That's just scaremongering - and you know it. There's no way cleaning can be done without increasing hours. The cleaner works approx 2 hours a day in our store, so that's 14 hours a week. If Tesco matches that with overtime, they will still be making a huge saving over the existing arrangements.

The stores that have not been given cleaning hours are now overmanned due to lack of sales during covid.  Some stores who were spending 6k on payroll taking 90k in sales are now spending the same on payroll to take 40, 50, 60k.

Stores who are spending 6k on payroll but have now increased or maintained their sales during covid should be given some cleaning hours. 

The timing isnt great as Tesco are also removing hours for simplification of tasks or inflation.  Goods now cost more so we are serving less customers and touching less stock to make the same money.

I'm no Tesco apologist but a lot of stores should be able to complete the cleaning of their stores without additional payroll hours.   

All 6 stores have been meeting sales target over the last 5 years and going way over target , If I remember correctly all of them are still well over target and well below on wages % , all have been told not only to cut staff but they are not to hire anyone to cover the loss of the cleaners , even with them being in budget , so yes they should be given more for the wages , not No they are not been given but have had some taken away

King1999

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 26-08-20, 10:27PM
Sorry if this comes across as off topic but just because things appear to work well for the likes of the German discounters doesn't mean it'll work well for others.

Is it a cost cutting exercise, absolutely? Take the recent announcement about the new jobs. Great, it'll mean less people having to seek employment elsewhere during these uncertain times but what about those people who now very likely to be struggling to find work because someone had the wonderful idea to put paid to their work within the company?
Pretty sure some people who they made redundant would sooner be employed,just the way it's been done I find it very toxic in the workhouse called Tosco now.Also why is tgere so much c**p about mental health etc.....the company has caused alot of it.Your also spot on just because it works for the discounters doesn't mean it's working or is working for that matter.One in front says your offering service that I'm afraid has gone......not enough Indians now.Still plenty of clowns.

NightAndDay

The fact of the matter is Tesco is too top heavy to be effective at operating efficiently, making cuts to the bottom line is the last thing they should be doing, in real management terms, in a workforce of 100,000 employees there should be 11,111 managers, a roughly 1/10 ratio with the additional 1,111 to manage the 10,000 managers. The thing with that is, the more you take from the productive bottom line, the less justification there will be to have as many managers.

Management is the least efficient activity in an organization and one of the most costly, for a business to run like a well oiled machine, any future cuts should be aimed at management.

T.C.1

I think Tesco are backed themselves in very expensive corner the amount it would cost in redundancy for senior team and long term managers would bankrupt Tesco so there just moving managers around and around. So a senior team manager to manage a manager to manage three members of staff mmmm??

NightAndDay

They'll need to get rid sooner or later, most aren't fit for the position they hold, it's just a matter of time until their Mickey Mouse matey boy antics causes another £300 million profit overstatement and then Tescos parsnips will well and truely be buttered. The panacea to Tesco woes is Corporate Governance and it must start with wielding the axe at the senior management structure. They're losing market share to the Germans, that isn't going to change until Aldi and Lidl max out on Real Estate and Tesco opens their eyes to the levels of incompetence held by their representatives in senior trusted positions

tempworker2020

I do agree with a lot of what people have said in terms of the management in Tesco, the board needs shook up and even at a store level there needs to be a reduction of management.

The store I was in could have easily survived with two less managers (and a wanna be manager).

No offence to the guy in my old store who was drafted in to be a wanna be manager but was incredibly weak, failed to separate personal life and work.  Was too much of a push over.  Is this who we are trusting going forward?

Tesco also need to stop pumping people through the options program and be more open to external recruitment for more management positions.

In terms of cleaning very few colleagues will actually be willing to clean to the same standard as external cleaners.

lordadmiral

I spoke with Mitie manager last night. He said Tesco is cutting hours for cleaning crew.
At the moment Tesco is reviewing 'contract offers' from several companies to pick the cheapest deal.

Now sometimes we have one cleaner for entire shop (superstore)and he or she must cut corners.
With less hours, cheap contract we might have to pick up some cleaning roles soon.

Daredevil

Cleaners in my store are horrific.Rock up at 06:10 ,break at 07:00 for 20 mins,another break at 07:40 for 20 mins,another break at 08:20 for 30 mins then gone by 09:10.No checkouts cleaned,no floors at front end washed ,no loo roll etc filled,the 3 of them walk round the store side by side.Bins at front door internally don't get emptied.A disgrace having customers come in to the mess

newguy20

Roughly the same here.
There are 4 cleaners in the morning plus a foreman.
At noon, the foreman and the morning cleaners go home leaving one guy who is supposed to replenish toilets, litter pick, empty bins, and react to emergency spillages etc. You may as well not bother. Customers regularly come to complain about lack of loo roll or soap, there is litter left for hours lying around, if a spillage happens there is no point calling for the cleaner because he won't do anything. If you ring him on the phone - "I am on a break" / "If you want it cleaning, clean it yourself" then slams the phone down. Usually hiding in the disused canteen talking on his mobile.
I know the role of cleaner is not the most glamorous but you could at least do the bare minimum.

whatajoke2019

Sounds very similar to our store too.

We've got a handful who are brilliant, they go above and beyond and nothing is too much trouble.

Then there's the other handful who may as well not bother, one in particular.

You can guarantee by the time a call over the tannoy has gone out one of us has dealt with it because they've been outside *again* for yet another cigarette five minutes after coming in from the last one!   ;D.

MysteryTurkey

Hey VLH!

Could someone tell me the new click to order ID for the new aseptopol spray bottles.

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk