News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 11:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 450
Total: 451

Confusing holiday system

Started by yeetus, 28-03-22, 11:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeetus

I work at a store in the south. I have some tickets to go to an event in London that I'd booked ages ago.
Our holiday system doesn't seem to work on forms but rather either talking to or messaging the manager what days you need off. Anyway, I had, I believe, mentioned to my manager on 2-3 occasions in conversation that I'd be needing a certain day off to go to this event. No indication that I wouldn't have it off.
Didn't know if it had been confirmed so I messaged her two weeks prior asking if it had been confirmed. She said she'd try but it was 'short notice' and she also had loads of other holiday booked on the particular Thursday.
I feel as though, given the system in place, I had given her loads of notice but she'd forgotten?

oldfashionedplayer

your place should be following the procedure of holiday forms... verbal ones aren't a guarantee and won't stand.. but I guess you could always challenge it or just go off sick and do it that way? risky bit I guess, maybe make a post on social media or something of "selling the tickets" so people know, don't mention you are going anymore, claim they've sold and then pull a sickie on the event lol.

Redshoes

Your store or your manager is not booking holidays as they should. As it is now very close to the event you need to go to I would try and arrange a shift swap with someone else. Not following procedure has caused this issue but it does not help you resolving it now. If you have past messages that you can show to say it was asked for you might be able to argue a case but you are now in the period when it should only be emergency holidays as the overtime for that week should already be requested.
Going forward you need to request holidays on a form and keep a copy of the request. You need to hand to your manager as the 7 days they have to get back to you is from them receiving the form and as it sounds like your manager is not very organised you need to follow process and therefore force your manager into doing so.

Sherwoodforest

Your manager should of pulled you in for a holiday meeting by now as the new holiday window opens soon,maybe ask your senior managers why it hasnt happened,it is on viewpoint about work/life balance,surely someone could do a shift swap as a last resort
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Sherwoodforest

You,l notice every store has more staff than customers in april because of lack of holiday plannimg and the fact every man and their dog has had to cram holidays in because of it

Cbatt566

Sounds like the usual laziness of managers at Tesco. My colleague had 15.5 hrs left on their holiday to use until end of this month and got told can't accommodate. Couldn't access the dreadful work and pay system to know what they had left but the manager should have followed this up but they don't care

spike_pkh

You should follow the correct process of holiday form to your manager. It's not really there fault if you just casually mentioned it in conversation but didn't follow process

Hibobhi

Loads of staff in my department (dotcom) had a few hours left to take, but weren't told about it as we where running short of staff because of covid, staff where told they will get it back as TL next year at some point. The managers knew people had holidays left but deliberately didn't say anything as they where struggling with staff shortages.

Sherwoodforest

Its alright that manager saying "cant accommodate now", speak to a union rep or store manager and ask them why the manager not booked remaining holidays as part of Christmas working arrangements.

Hibobhi

I took mine on Saturday, o told them if they don't like it discipline me, lol. It's the young ones that are missing out I find the younger ones usually don't know their rights

Redshoes

It's your responsibility to book holidays but your manger also has the responsibility to ensure people have booked enough days. There is a table for a manager to follow on how many hours should be allowed off in any given wk of the year. In larger Depts people tend to get those important dates in early as they know it's first come first served. Managers should review diary and how much colleagues have booked off to ensure we don't have a bigger percentage after Christmas.
The last day of this holiday year is now tomorrow. It's too late to fit in those days or hours that people have left. If a manager is now saying they will give next year the system will only allow this for sick or maternity. What they will have to do is put you down as being in work when you are not. This is now putting pressure on next years hols. It does not solve the problem, it just moves it forward. We are all now on very tight hours so in effect your manager is saying that they will now give you your time back at a time when it is really difficult to manage with actual hours allowed in the building.
The expectation is that you take a minimum of 3 weeks holidays or 75% before the end of October. The remaining time is to used in the time period after this. Your manager is not following process. It's hard with a big dept like dot.com as it's often the biggest head count in a store but still only one manager to deliver. A manager is supposed to hold two holiday meetings a year. They don't have to be big meetings but there are two forms that should be filled out. The first meeting should be taking place now to ensure this year holidays are booked as the next window opens on 1st April. The second meeting is oct/nov. This is combined with Christmas working arrangements. This meeting is to agree Christmas hours and to ensure any hours outstanding are fully booked. Failing to book holidays can result in your manager allocating days. The allocation of holidays is a last resort but if a colleague is reluctant to book dates this may happen. So, no matter how bad a colleague is at booking hols it still comes down to the manager. This may result in colleagues then wanting to cancel and rebook hols but they need to be booked.

redeo

Quote from: yeetus on 28-03-22, 11:04PM
I work at a store in the south. I have some tickets to go to an event in London that I'd booked ages ago.
Our holiday system doesn't seem to work on forms but rather either talking to or messaging the manager what days you need off. Anyway, I had, I believe, mentioned to my manager on 2-3 occasions in conversation that I'd be needing a certain day off to go to this event. No indication that I wouldn't have it off.
Didn't know if it had been confirmed so I messaged her two weeks prior asking if it had been confirmed. She said she'd try but it was 'short notice' and she also had loads of other holiday booked on the particular Thursday.
I feel as though, given the system in place, I had given her loads of notice but she'd forgotten?
sick cough cough, can't come in day then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk