Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:30AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 410
Total: 412

Performance managed after over 20 years service

Started by JLS77, 19-04-23, 04:07PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLS77

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a shift leader in an Express. A new manager has come into the store and he's put me on performance management after a blemish free career of over 20 years. Never experienced this before with any of the previous managers.

To say it's come as a bit of a shock is an understatement.

I have to report back to him every week for the next four weeks for a catch up, but barring that, I have no idea what happens if he decides I haven't met my grades (some of which I'm disputing anyway). Could I possibly be demoted, or even lose my job?

My question is, has anyone here had experience of this situation? I haven't been this stressed about my job for a very long time.

I welcome any advice or input.

lucgeo

It's a verrryyy long process to dismiss anyone on a performance review basis.

Is it a case that you've maybe got off on the wrong foot with this manager?...clash of personalities?...stuck in your own way of doing things your way or saying those dreaded words every new manager hates..."this is the way we've always done it/this is the way last manager said it should be done" etc...etc..
If you're disputing some of the grading, why is the weekly update continuing?
If you're in contact with another stores shift leader/manager, try to get some feedback on their interpretation of the role you're doing rightly or wrongly?
Are you not a union member?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

JLS77

No, we actually get along quite well, I don't think there's any personal animosity, certainly not from me.

It's tricky to divulge all of the details, for obvious reasons, but it has come completely out of the blue. I will say this, during our first review, he said something which I found to be both alarming and demoralising - 'I don't want you to lose your job'. That sounds like a veiled threat, or even pre-meditation. Either way, I can't think for one minute that's an approach a store manager should be taking.

I perhaps also should have also mentioned that the previous manager never did a single review with any of the shift leaders, and he was there for over two years.

Good point regarding a previous manager, I'll definitely do that.

No, I'm not a union member, but I think that's something I certainly need to look into.

Davethebave

It's actually very very hard to dismiss someone for performance.

SYP is about supporting you to get to where they think you need to be. It could also be that the new manager has you all on SYP to make a point and draw a line in the sand.

I've had a few colleagues on SYP and it's never been about me trying to sack them or anything. It's been about trying to find the best place in the business for them.

penguin

Has all this been done formally by that I mean put in writing during a meeting with a note taker present, with clear expectations set out in terms of the improvements required.

If not then it's not SYP, and even if it was done correctly it will take months and months of reviews and retraining, support plans etc before it gets anywhere near dismissal or demotion.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lucgeo

@JLS77

Your opening sentence in response is a red flag 🚩

A matey manager who has you in SYP meetings is not someone who you're getting along with quite well! If that was the case, he'd be having 1-1 meetings and working with you to highlight any concerns...not veiled threats of losing your job!

I used to have a store manager who every time he praised anyone with an pat on the back, they'd get whoever was nearest to check for a knife!!

Seriously think about joining the union, if only to make these meetings more official with representation and have his comments noted! Will certainly put him in the picture that you can't be manipulated!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

MAI

Trust me, you will be fine.

They will not have any leg to stand on. The problem Tesco usually have HR wise is two things....

1. If they treat you differently compared to others, usually managers spend far too much time performance managing someone, which is what is happening to you. They then have to explain why you are having extra meetings as opposed to others and then it all starts to fall apart, meaning instead of supporting your performance they are managing your performance which is game over as they have a agenda. Over managing instead of distance managing someone who you have a concern with is what people just do not get.

2. 20 years service and not one issue, another problem they have to explain and deal with.

Let people do whatever they want to do, play the game and then top trump then. Simple.

madness

2 types of manager when new
1 knows the existing team is knowledgeable and if they get them on side will want to work for them.
2: career hungry go getter who wants to use others as stepping stones for their own advancement.
You are dealing with number 2.

King1999

6xpl89

Hi JLS77,

I'd advise joining the union, as it sounds like your SM is doing the SYP process incorrectly, as is always the case in Express.

The first thing you hear about your performance not being where it needs to be definitely shouldn't be an action planning meeting, which is what it sounds like you've had.

This meeting should come 4 weeks after you've had support meetings to get you where you need to be. Not to mention you should have had let's talks on your file or a below satisfactory review before this process is started.

madness

How long after starting at the store did the SM put you on performance management.

pitdiver

My wife was a shift leader in an Express. A new manager came on the scene and started laying down the law in the way he wanted things done. She "advised him that if he carried on she would
1) stop doing the early shift as no one else wanted to do it.
2) go sick with what ever condition came to her.

Sadly she broke her arm whilst on company premises. This resulted in her being out for a number of weeks and claiming through the union for compensation. It was proved he wasn't doing his job properly in maintaining a safe workplace.  So he went the way he came through the door.  She carried on running the store.

markwinters

this is really heavy handed if no informal meetings or lets talks, even more so if you've kept off the radar for 20 years- I would let you manager and his or her manager know that too- straight in to performance improvement with no other background is not how it should be done, lots of informal meetings before then should have taken place- " everyday conversations" sort of thing.. consider are you the only shift leader being treated like this? if so why, and other local stores. get a rep for ALL meetings even informal ones, agree and take a copy of all notes, emphasise you want to do a good job, but ask for very specific and achievable next steps, then email a summary of your understanding of the meetings to the people partner and the AM in express.. in the meantime get up to date copies of the performance policy so you know how it looks, ask why a formal process listen and clarify and follow this up IN WRITING Oh and its not called SYP anymore, but "performance Improvement" Bet your manager doesn't know this either!  embarrass him/her they sound like a right dick..fight your corner, as Anyone in this situation should do, All bullies back down

NightAndDay

Graduates at my old place of work used to make more than experienced Express SMs, there's a correct way to manage which unfortunately I haven't seen in the majority of Store Managers, the 3 key points of failure tend to be how they communicate with colleagues and not understanding the business implications of why policy exists in the form it does, and why it's vital to follow it.

There's also a lack of high impact communication skills which is needed to convey high level details to the senior leadership team and influence others in the correct way.

The best way to manage is to get people on your side, coaching rather than disciplining and playing hardball. Treating your subordinates as equals, not displaying a cavalier attitude that seems to be all too common amongst Express Store Managers.

As for policy, that's a real danger to the company, especially when you consider that the process of activities can be very specific for a very good reason, when it comes to the performance management process, that reason is usually to operate at the legal standard as to not be culpable for lawsuits ranging from discrimination to unfair dismissal.

JLS77

Quote from: madness on 20-04-23, 01:20PMHow long after starting at the store did the SM put you on performance management.

7 months. The previous manager didn't hold a single review in the 2 1/2 years he was there.

JLS77

Quote from: markwinters on 26-04-23, 08:23PMthis is really heavy handed if no informal meetings or lets talks, even more so if you've kept off the radar for 20 years- I would let you manager and his or her manager know that too- straight in to performance improvement with no other background is not how it should be done, lots of informal meetings before then should have taken place- " everyday conversations" sort of thing.. consider are you the only shift leader being treated like this? if so why, and other local stores. get a rep for ALL meetings even informal ones, agree and take a copy of all notes, emphasise you want to do a good job, but ask for very specific and achievable next steps, then email a summary of your understanding of the meetings to the people partner and the AM in express.. in the meantime get up to date copies of the performance policy so you know how it looks, ask why a formal process listen and clarify and follow this up IN WRITING Oh and its not called SYP anymore, but "performance Improvement" Bet your manager doesn't know this either!  embarrass him/her they sound like a right dick..fight your corner, as Anyone in this situation should do, All bullies back down

Thank you for the advice here. I have joined the Union too, so if it does go any further, I'll be certain to enact the steps you've mentioned. I just wonder if his management style is stick before carrot, but as you say, I think he's been over zealous. He could have offered the training and role pack in the review before going down this route, not afterwards.

filling-machine

Any next steps must be "Smart"
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Timely

Any more than a few next steps at a time and they would not fit this criteria. If there's no smart next steps being given, then the process is going nowhere.
Focus on delivering any next steps received. If that means something else slips, don't worry. That thing just becomes a new next step, so you then focus on that one.
Also, print/record any information that helps you. SMs are usually expecting you to roll over and accept their word/judgement of your performance and will therefore, usually, be woefully under prepared with little or no factual information to assess you against.
Basically it's a long, drawn out game of cat and mouse that's not that difficult to win.

londoner83

Also jot down anything that gets in the way of you delivering anything on every day of the week ie All Hands to Pump, having to support tills, prepping for visits, dealing with first aid, managers own requests.

It's hard to performance manage someone if they go on Monday I planned to do (for example) 2 staff reviews but I walked in and you told me to scrap my plans and  work 8 cages of late delivery, then I spent an hour with the lady who slipped and fell and finally i had to get store right in case x visited.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk