News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:50PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 411
Total: 415

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerFred

For those unhappy with the latest circus - £11.80 base rate for coffee making.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64815332

BritishRacingGreen

Yeah ... but daily round trip commute of 330 miles 3/4 days a week, really not my thing ...  ;)

universe

Thats my Usdaw membership cancelled and i know of plenty of others doing the same !

person7

i had to laugh at the usdaw printout we had in staffroom - proving our £11.02 is the HIGHEST PAY (by 2p) and trying to make it sound they did a fantastic job for us over 4 pages.. (didnt bother reading past the stupid chart/price table to make themselves sound good)

barafear

Shame other supermarkets have been paying £11 for a few months now. We still have to wait

dilligaf

Yet again you all blame USDAW, stores gave up their right to vote etc many years ago, the staff are the union, but while we can blame someone, there will be no gains... The present increase in the current climate isn't bad, does anyone listen to the news, what are most folk being offered in % pay rises??

Its great to blame, but a lot harder to to take a stand....

oldfashionedplayer

You don't understand the fact that we CANT take a stand, there are processes that prevent us, One being that as a store the UNION (USDAW) is the one who represents us as the majority, meaning THEY need to change the terms of the previously imposed non strike action... Whereas with Warehouses/DCs they have their Union that goes "Bring it, we will strike".

If a colleague in store wants to strike, they can't... they need another Union Body to be recognised, which is highly unlikely and will take a huge amount of time, Stores can't just strike, they can face the dismissal for it due to the terms and agreement with the UNION, given that the UNION makes ALL decisions on OUR behalf, whether your in it or not its tough.. that's how it is for us...

Wage increases mean nothing with food, energy, basic necessities all going up... Stores have got an extra £0.72 an hour, so a full shift, £5.40, lets meet in the middle and say the average worker is a 3 day worker, thats an extra £64.80 (BEFORE deductions), and an extra £842.40 per year, okay great not a bad pay rise... (reduce that down to £43.20 / £561.60 if your a 3 day worker that has Sunday, think its about £585.00 with Sunday, so thats £257 less than if you had just worked a normal day.. excluding bank holiday which would raise it up a little)....

So food price has gone up by 16.6% currently, with it still going up, House prices going up, Mortgages going up, Rent Wars for who will pay more per month, energy prices have gone up 4x Gas, 3x Electricity mainly.. War in Ukraine with Russia that no one wants to deal with but just throw money towards / morale support, and government wanting to get rid of NHS and pay cause we're all just lazy and feeding a family of 4 is just £0.10 per day !

When you factor in all that, Companies are screwed, Employees are screwed, The Country is Screwed, We can blame because there is blame, but ultimately there isn't any solution that anyone can provide that can solve 1 issue or Many issues in a short space of time, One thing has a knock on effect because it's used as greed, But don't forget everyone blames Brexit... 8-)

WE in general, all of us together, the lower ones that aren't the richy richy that are sat in head office, are going to be screwed... But we are the biggest supermarket and we are paying one of the LOWEST wages, even against SPAR shops, Coffee Shops, competitors... We shouldn't be taking away, look after colleagues and the money will come in.. people will want to be there, want to shop.. but so far it just feels like between the past few years and going forward, Tesco will no longer have the manpower, all because paper says "You need this many people"

londoner83

Part of the issue is the city expects Tesco to make £x billion pound in profit every year and to do that it needs to cut down on its costs - a key one being pay.

So giving colleagues a substantial rise could in effect cause the business to miss its profits forecast which would then harm its share price and in turn effect investors confidence in the business as a whole.

Long Term think the only way we will get back to having Industry leading pay is if the CEO sets out and sells a plan that sees profits reduce for the greater good. Is it even morally right in a cost of living crisis that a supermarket makes over £1bn profit from essentially selling food that many in the country can't afford to buy?

However it's probably far easier not to upset/spook the city and just mirror the minimum wage + a few pence in every future wage negotiation.

Checkout Superstar

We get nothing from USDAW. Someone put it perfectly in another thread, every Jan to March, then sometimes May to July, Tesco leave their colleagues fearing for their jobs over what ever pigs ear restructure they are planning next. No wonder the company is all over  the place, nothing stays stable long enough to see what is working and what isn't.  Its just change after change every year.

NightAndDay

Quote from: londoner83 on 03-03-23, 05:44AMPart of the issue is the city expects Tesco to make £x billion pound in profit every year and to do that it needs to cut down on its costs - a key one being pay.

So giving colleagues a substantial rise could in effect cause the business to miss its profits forecast which would then harm its share price and in turn effect investors confidence in the business as a whole.

Long Term think the only way we will get back to having Industry leading pay is if the CEO sets out and sells a plan that sees profits reduce for the greater good. Is it even morally right in a cost of living crisis that a supermarket makes over £1bn profit from essentially selling food that many in the country can't afford to buy?

However it's probably far easier not to upset/spook the city and just mirror the minimum wage + a few pence in every future wage negotiation.

The sentiment was true in the era of easy money, interest rate rises tend to have an inverse effect on share prices as a lot of businesses depend on being leveraged to be profitable. Nowadays, investor confidence in UK businesses is low in the long term in no small part due to Brexit and how our economy is not diversified enough, relying on non-productive assets to deliver "growth" such as real estate.

For businesses to compete effectively in this era they really need value on the forefront of their sales strategy. Even The City fatcats are aware that making the profits they're used to isn't going to be as easy as it used to and won't be for a good few years I reckon.

barafear

I'm glad that this thread lives on - and it's good in a way to see diversified views - with some stating that they are grateful for pay rises and grateful to be employed - and others taking a very opposite view and "expecting" more - my own opinion is towards the latter view - however, I can understand the reasons for where we are - and I do struggle to believe that it is in any way "generous" of Tesco to be paying us what they are paying us.
Ever since the NLW was introduced and increased year on year by more than the "average wage inflation across all salary bands", then Tesco have "struggled" to remain compliant.
Deep down, Tesco want to treat us all the same - isn't that one of their mantras?
So - in theory, unless there is an element of performance related pay (which obviously there is at most management levels) then Tesco would prefer to implement a similar % pay increase for all staff (from GA colleagues all the way up to senior management) - so 5% for those on £10 an hour = 50p/hour and 5% for those earning £100k = £5k per year.

What's happened with the recent increases in the NLW (6%+ every year, and almost 10% this April) is that Tesco cannot afford to pay all staff a pay rise of 6-10% - but they almost "have to" pay that to the lowest paid staff in order to remain legal - or in line with their competitors.

But as we all know, over the last five years, there have been a number of things taken away from the lowest paid staff (and sometimes those above too) - such as annual bonus and reduction in premiums - in order to effectively "pay" for these "forced increases" - but also to try to "level" the playing field across all levels of staff - so management have maintained their right to an annual bonus - and I suspect some "additional premium" payments paid to management for "weekend working or similar" have probably remained too (I don't know this - I just suspect!).

The whole situation feels like one of those mathematical anomalies - historically it has always been said that UK had "cheap/low" grocery prices (I know looking at Tesco.ie website for Irish prices - they seemed to be higher - then again their staff seemed to be paid more too) - so a "correction" of pricing was probably long overdue - but clearly rather than gradual inflation, it has been fairly "sudden" - especially with prices of some items increasing by 50%+ over a short period of time.

I personally don't think a different union or stronger union would really be much help (for those at the bottom end) - and I've said before that it's hard to imagine that strike action by "unskilled staff" could have much of an impact - I don't know the full details of the depots - but I'm guessing they held a lot more power due to the fact there are relatively few of them - and that they serve such a large number of stores - therefore, any disruption would be felt across a number of stores -

if we imagine that we as GAs had the right to vote for strike action - the barriers to it working would be - in my opinion -

general apathy amongst most staff (the vocal minority on here and who write in the comments on OurT are simply that - a minority)
Unaffordability for most staff to "give up wages" - most are presumably living close to the breadline so willingly giving up pay would not really be an option
The ease with which unskilled staff can be replaced - overtime for other colleagues, managers, staff from other nearby stores etc.

Unfortunately, in terms of pay reviews, we are entirely dependent on the movement in the NLW - if that only increases by 2%, then our pay award would be about 2%.

"Fortunately" the future path of the NLW is that it will probably increase again next year to around £11.25 (7%+ increase) - beyond that, not sure - as the current "target to reach 2/3rd of the median (average) wage in the UK" is only until 2024.

NightAndDay

The status quo most of us (and the labour force for that matter) have been exposed to was a prolonged unsustainable economic environment of ultra low interest rates and rampant Quantitative Easing, the result of this was that risk was undervalued, assets grew in price unsustainably and a growing number of companies were able to stay afloat and at the same time, not generate any real significant growth due to the access of cheap easy money when interest rates were sub 1%.

What this led to was the price of essential assets skyrocketing in price much faster than wage growth, working has become a less attractive option, younger workers from the millennial and Gen Z cohort rarely had a choice to simply choose to "not work".

We are now at the end of the economic era and we've transitioned to a period of quantitative tightening and deglobalization, with severe labour shortages at present in no small part due to the economic advantage enjoyed by Gen X's and Boomers allowing them to retire early, the trends of the last decade and a half may not necessarily apply, just as supply and demand has priced out younger generations from the property market, the same rules will force businesses to compete strongly in the next few years, the chickens have come home to roost, we are entering the era of corrections.

Sherwoodforest

Anybody know what the 4 day trial is in large formmats,is it managers doing 4 nights or just filling over 4 nights?
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

5fdp

Its mgrs and team leaders only at the moment. Its trial until week 26. Go into our tesco and key in 'collective ' and read the part about tesco and union. It should be the top suggestion that comes up. Then you can read the discussions tesco and the union have been having regarding that and the redundancies. Its no secret.

Ashbeck

It wasn't briefed as a trial for managers and shift leaders. The notes say there's a trial in only 2 groups for a 4 day week for nights. The 4 day week for night TM and SL is every group.

Hammer10

I was looking at the difference in pay for shift leaders and skilled baker after tax it works out 15 pounds a week or 3 pounds a day to go for the shift leader role don't think it's worth the hassle .

NightAndDay

Workload will definitely be less, job prospects don't look good for a skilled baker though, Wouldn't surprise me at all if they move to completely from frozen to save on costs in the near/mid future.

chris9997

This idea of managers and shift leaders going from 5 days to 4 working the extra hours over the 4 days it sounds very caring of tesco " to help with work life balance" as it was put. But could it have other reasons if they ditch the night teams in these stores could it be that redundancy is not offered as the new hours of twlight / mornings would fall within the 50% range ( redundancy need not be offered if the
Hours difference is less than 50%)

sam

Quote from: universe on 02-03-23, 06:56PMThats my Usdaw membership cancelled and i know of plenty of others doing the same !
yes i will

Duff McKagan

Quote from: chris9997 on 06-03-23, 10:22AMThis idea of managers and shift leaders going from 5 days to 4 working the extra hours over the 4 days it sounds very caring of tesco " to help with work life balance" as it was put. But could it have other reasons if they ditch the night teams in these stores could it be that redundancy is not offered as the new hours of twlight / mornings would fall within the 50% range ( redundancy need not be offered if the
Hours difference is less than 50%)

Precisely the same idea I had... I sincerely doubt Tesco are offering this change out of the goodness of their hearts...clearly they will save money on night premium they would have paid for the 5th shift but I suspect there's more to it than just that.

Where does it say redundancy need not be offered if the hours difference is less than 50%?  :question:

Just a number

Hi, I'm sure I read somewhere that if 50%+ of your contract hours are before midnight /after 6am then your employer can change your hours to anything they want between 6am to midnight. I've tried looking this up but can't see it now. Is this still the case, if anyone can provide a link it would be greatly appreciated.

Voulezvous

But surely 21.30-8.00 its only 4.5hrs worked for dayshift hours and 6 for nightshift hours, the break would come off the nightshift hours though so not sure how that would work in a 50/50 dayshift and nightshift hours scenario.

Nomad

I think a phone call to ACAS may be useful.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Ashbeck

Even with the extra hours each day asking someone to go from working overnight to working during the day wouldn't be a reasonable change.

5fdp

Remember on frog you can adjust your breaks as long as you take the full 1.5hrs. So make sure that 15mins are before midnight and 1 hr during the night and 15mins after 6am. Sorts the 50% problem.
The lead team on nights should be inputing on frog each week what nights you actually work that week as this may affect your weekend premium.  So it is important that they do this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk