News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

01-05-24, 11:37AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,438
  • Total Topics: 642
  • Online today: 335
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 295
Total: 295

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Any news on location pay? At our store, our 45p becomes 56.25p when added to Sunday pay.
Will that remain as is ? As it is, the 45p has been "fixed" for as long as I can remember - at least 7+ years - I know they did do a revamp of location pay bands about 7-10 years ago - but as I've mentioned many times, despite the much vaunted 30%+ increase in the basic rate of pay, location pay rates have remained frozen - rather like some premiums/skill payments.

Not that I'm moaning too much because I know lots of colleagues don't get any location pay - and I do feel that location pay will be phased out (apart from inner London).

Nightworker23

Sunday pay is currently £12.875ph
£10.30 + 25%(£2.575).

New rate would be £11.02 + 25%(£2.755) = £13.775.

So basically they're keeping the overall Sunday pay as it is now, and I suspect it will stay at that until the hourly rate catches up and it's gone completely.

Cbatt566

Disgrace if this is true.

Cbatt566

Quote from: Nightworker23 on 20-02-23, 11:45AMSunday pay is currently £12.875ph
£10.30 + 25%(£2.575).

So basically they're keeping the overall Sunday pay as it is now, and I suspect it will stay at that until the hourly rate catches up and it's gone completely.

I just read it was capped/fixed at £12.89, No?

Metal Mario

I must say I feel a little let down by the new deal. I had £11.05 in my head as an acceptable award as that would have been the same percentage increase as Sainsbury's, but this coupled with the effective erosion of our Sunday premium makes me wonder what the point of my union subs is. It's not like the company isn't turning a profit, I just feel like USDAW rolled over and took whatever scraps were offered.
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

andzdrew

Sunday hourly pay will become £12.89 per hour fixed from 2 Apr.

No longer calculated as a percentage from the base rate.

As someone said this is basically 1.17x rate of the new 11.02 base...

However I expect this will never increase and will be phased out eventually.

Union says Tesco went in with a £10.70 offer and zero Sunday premium, and to keep any has been a challenge.

Charlie Harper

Seems to be different briefs coming down.

"Sunday premiums will be changing from 25% to 17% for colleagues who receive these & joined Tesco before 24 July 2022. If a colleague is only contacted to work a Sunday, they will receive a lump sum payment in their 28 April pay that is the equivalent to 3% of their previous hourly pay over 52 weeks"

Quote from: andzdrew on 20-02-23, 11:56AMSunday hourly pay will become £12.89 per hour fixed from 2 Apr.

Union says Tesco went in with a £10.70 offer and zero Sunday premium, and to keep any has been a challenge.
How long is this pay award for?

Brownieboy

I assume the Bank holiday rate will be same as Sundays?

tescopleb

Everything is a challenge for Usdaw especially when it comes to Tosco and it's store staff. The Partnership has to be revoked, it's no longer fit for our purposes. As has been said they take our money and give nothing in return
When was the last time they spoke to us directly and asked what WE actually want/need.

1982dave

Quote from: .....1 on 20-02-23, 12:02PM
Quote from: andzdrew on 20-02-23, 11:56AMSunday hourly pay will become £12.89 per hour fixed from 2 Apr.

Exactly what I'm waiting for official announcement because there's normally an Oct Nov rise.

andzdrew

Quote from: Charlie Harper on 20-02-23, 11:57AMSeems to be different briefs coming down.

"Sunday premiums will be changing from 25% to 17% for colleagues who receive these & joined Tesco before 24 July 2022. If a colleague is only contacted to work a Sunday, they will receive a lump sum payment in their 28 April pay that is the equivalent to 3% of their previous hourly pay over 52 weeks"

One is Tesco's spin, the other is USDAW.

They both give the same amount.

barafear

Quote from: tescopleb on 20-02-23, 12:04PMEverything is a challenge for Usdaw especially when it comes to Tosco and it's store staff. The Partnership has to be revoked, it's no longer fit for our purposes. As has been said they take our money and give nothing in return
When was the last time they spoke to us directly and asked what WE actually want/need.

Not defending or slating - but from a neutral point of view, don't views from "store forums" make their way to unions?

Charlie Harper

Usdaw were in their best bartering position ever...& still manage to fail us 😂😂

andzdrew

Quote from: barafear on 20-02-23, 12:13PM
Quote from: tescopleb on 20-02-23, 12:04PMEverything is a challenge for Usdaw especially when it comes to Tosco and it's store staff. The Partnership has to be revoked, it's no longer fit for our purposes. As has been said they take our money and give nothing in return

Not defending or slating - but from a neutral point of view, don't views from "store forums" make their way to unions?

This is exactly right. Store forums feed into the national forum, who's reps sit and do the bargaining against tesco on behalf of members.

Quote from: 1982dave on 20-02-23, 12:07PM
Quote from: .....1 on 20-02-23, 12:02PM

Exactly what I'm waiting for official announcement because there's normally an Oct Nov rise.
Hopefully the full details will be released soon. Hopefully we will get a pay rise later in the year to as Asda is increasing again to £11.11 in July and I'm sure the discounters will increase soon. Won't be long and we be lowest paid again.

andzdrew

Quote from: Charlie Harper on 20-02-23, 12:16PMSame amount for now, yes, but the Usdaw brief suggests that the 17% would be ongoing on base rate. (or at least doesn't say it isn't).

Those on the usdaw briefing heard "fixed rate" and "equivalent to 1.17x" directly from a national forum rep.

If it is still linked to base, I'd say this is a strong indicator it will be further reduced or continue to be fixed at current rate for future pay rises, until it is worthless and scrapped completely.

Charlie Harper

Quote from: andzdrew on 20-02-23, 12:12PM
Quote from: Charlie Harper on 20-02-23, 11:57AMSeems to be different briefs coming down.

One is Tesco's spin, the other is USDAW.

They both give the same amount.

Same amount for now, yes, but the Usdaw brief suggests that the 17% would be ongoing on base rate. (or at least doesn't say it isn't).

barafear

Quote from: Nightworker23 on 20-02-23, 11:45AMSunday pay is currently £12.875ph
£10.30 + 25%(£2.575).

Without having seen anything official, this is exactly how I would understand it would work.

So moving forward, if next year, we went to a basic of £11.60, then Tesco have the option of leaving Sunday pay at £12.875, or maybe increasing to whatever amount they want - but potentially not by the same 58p that basic pay would increase?! - but as per Nightworker's views, highly likely to be frozen until base pay catches up with it -

It is disappointing - but unfortunately, we all knew it was coming.

Effectively, we've gone from double pay (which was before my time but only just - so for many years, I got 1.5x whilst colleagues working next to me were getting double time) to 1.5x and then to 1.25x and now "effectively" 1.17 (or 1/6th extra premium) - and next year, likely to be about 1/10th...

Will be interesting to see how many "current" staff decide to drop Sunday contracted hours or not sign up to overtime given this "minor" reduction.

Ultimately, it's "do you want to work for £12.875 per hour?" - rather than "well, if we were more genuine it would be £13.77" - so basically, we're talking about 90p an hour difference - so in terms of a 6 hour shift - £5.40 - and after tax/NI/pension, probably less than £4 a shift - barely enough for a meal deal!

I'm not suggesting that it's right, I'm merely pointing out that it's not "a huge chasm" -

still disappointing that Tesco have merely become one of the £11 crowd - rather than showing themselves as market leaders and offering something more like £11.25+ just as a "statement" - I'm dying to read the official announcement of this "record breaking investment" in pay/our staff and how much we value them and we're helping them out in this cost of living crisis where their grocery bills are increasing by 16% a year, and utility bills are going up by another 20% from April (in addition to the doubling over the last 12-15 months) - oh year, we're giving our staff 7% (and some staff will get less if they regular work Sundays) - thanks. There's always a positive spin.
Of course, on top of all the above is the missing "proviso" of "we're only giving them 7% because we need to be legal and stay above the legal NLW!!"
I know - strictly speaking they could give us 2% and "stay legal" -

Anyway - overall, it's a "deal" that is very much as "we should have expected".

Charlie Harper

Quote from: andzdrew on 20-02-23, 12:20PM
Quote from: Charlie Harper on 20-02-23, 12:16PMSame amount for now, yes, but the Usdaw brief suggests that the 17% would be ongoing on base rate. (or at least doesn't say it isn't).

Those on the usdaw briefing heard "fixed rate" and "equivalent to 1.17x" directly from a national forum rep.

If it is still linked to base, I'd say this is a strong indicator it will be further reduced or continue to be fixed at current rate for future pay rises, until it is worthless and scrapped completely.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Duff McKagan

Certainly looks like the sunday premium will diminish with each subsequent increase in base rate until the £12.89 mark is reached, at which point sunday premium will cease to exist...but we shall see. It's inevitable that it will go at some point.

Do we have any news on night premium? Is that remaining the same?

barafear

https://www.tescoplc.com/sustainability/colleagues/reward/

On the above website, Tesco's take on the Jan2023 negotiations stated the following:

We will continue to work flexibly when it comes to investing in reward for colleagues. For example, we made three additional 'thank you' payments over a two-year period to colleagues during the COVID-19 pandemic, and we consider what's beneficial to colleagues at different moments in time –agreeing a one-year rather than two-year pay deal for hourly-paid colleagues in 2022, allowing us to review again in 2023 given the current increases to the cost of living. We have recently agreed with the unions that these negotiations will begin in January 2023, ahead of our usual timescales, and that they will include a review of location pay.

So be interesting to hear those details - as we've all come to realise with Tesco, the word review normally means "reduction/worsening"

SAMCRO

Pre-tax it works out to an extra £65 for me. Disappointed, especially the Sunday premium.

andzdrew

Shift leader gets an additional 40p on top of team support and a new "S" grade of pay.
All other premiums aside from Sunday remain unchanged
Quote from: Duff McKagan on 20-02-23, 12:32PMCertainly looks like the sunday premium will diminish with each subsequent increase in base rate until the £12.89 mark is reached, at which point sunday premium will cease to exist...but we shall see. It's inevitable that it will go at some point.

Do we have any news on night premium? Is that remaining the same?

Charlie Harper

You have to laugh when, every time these pay reviews come around, that the biggest plus to come out of them is not what we've gained, but what we haven't lost 😂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk