News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 07:13AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,354
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 256
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 196
Total: 198

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davethebave

With Xmas eve and news years eve both on Sundays this year, removing prems would be a disaster. But then again, this is tesco, no sense at the best of times

forrestgimp

Absolutely, I will never work a BH and never done a sunday in my life when i would be standing next to someone getting more than me because they started before me.

Hammer10

If prices continue to keep going up going to see bill the shoplifter and get him to do my shopping and pay him sight cheaper.

Garysmith123

Also with the new management structure for  shift leader, when they go on the new contract will they loose a buy out option if Sunday premium goes as they are agreeing a new contract not very fair ???

barafear

Buy out option? Explain.
The "value" of the current 0.25 premium is relative peanuts. And if the same formula is applied as last time, any "shift leader" is likely to be contracted to 25+ hours so the expected 7% ish increase to the base pay will almost offset any lost pay if Sundays go down to plain time.

Bakersdozen

All information on the payrise will be released to union reps and store managers on the 20th Feb so we should know specifics then.

Voulezvous

I'm guessing £10.80 for general assistants with premiums untouched then November will be £11ph with Sunday premium taken away.

Nightworker23

Oh well, if we're just guessing, I'm gonna say, £35 per hour, double time for Sunday's and b/h reinstated and a 20% boys every Christmas. Also 50% staff discount permanently.

Why all the speculation?
Unless someone actually knows what's been agreed, maybe just keep your thoughts to yourselves!!

Voulezvous

Pay review 2023, I'm quite happy to speculate but thanks your your input.

Hammer10

Asda getting 11 pounds an hour from April then 11.11 from July. Can't see tesco beating that.

barafear

Extra 11p from July!!! What's the point!! Why are these companies playing "games" with all these shenanigans!!

forrestgimp

it looks better than a flat 11 quid and they can say they gave out 2 pay rises in one year. its all about the optics

person7

Quote from: Nightworker23 on 17-02-23, 08:12AMOh well, if we're just guessing, I'm gonna say, £35 per hour, double time for Sunday's and b/h reinstated and a 20% boys every Christmas. Also 50% staff discount permanently.

well THAT would be nice lol - im just wondering when we are supposed to get any official news as they promised January and even my managers are all getting annoyed-- particularly since we now are advertising shift leader roles and people are asking "whats the pay gonna be" before they even consider it! lol

oldfashionedplayer

They said the negotiations start at the END of January, so they've been quick on negotiating for it to be ready so soon to be honest.. usually it comes a bit later.. Few more days though I guess till we all find out what we got sold out on.

breeksy

They don't have any choice but to decide quickly, given that the rise needs to happen from April in order to remain legal.

SAMCRO

Tesco need to step up but I won't hold my breath. Looking forward to the announcement on Monday but I suspect we will be losing premiums. Tesco cannot afford to pay unskilled GAs £11 + premiums an hour.

londoner83

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).   Admin.

Really- they are forecast to make £2.4 billion profit during a cost of living crisis where for many its a choice of heat or eat. Maybe they will offer a large rise so we become one of the top payers to distract from the moans about excess profits

SAMCRO

Ken Murphy said he wants to save the company £1Billion in 3yrs. That's £7Mil per week. A bumper pay raise for GAs won't help with that.

madness

Except it would massively help as GA's wont jump ship to another retailer and Tesco then have to train and hire all new staff.

They never think this through.
However Ken Murphy has a history of this. No new ideas on how to actually make more money without cutting hours...

barafear

A few responses to the above posts.......
Giving staff a "big" pay increase won't "appease" the general population in the midst of a cost of living crisis....Tesco will no doubt bang the drum about helping customers with all the special offers they have...most of them just phoney marketing in my mind.
As for improving staff retention because it would mean less costly hiring and training of new staff....well, as the poster who mentioned £1bn savings target ...overall Tesco are surely looking to reduce their staff numbers, both with their management cuts and technology such as self serve/scan.....so not being the best payers won't worry Tesco too much in my opinion.

Although I think Tesco will simply "match" the competition and give us £11 an hour, they still have the opportunity to stagger it.....let's say 50p increase in April and maybe 25p more in November....and at some point cutting premiums. I also fear for location pay.... might not be needed except in inner London....we'll soon find out.

But I cannot see anyone being pleasantly surprised come Monday lunchtime.

Hammer10

Not many get location pay now only a few was stopped in many stores a while back.

Charlie Harper

Usdaw negotiated the £11 p/h for both Sainsbury's & Asda so I fully expect the same.

As for premium...I believe the other two offer & yearly bonus, we get a Sun prem...so swings & roundabouts there.

fatlad

Will prob be £11p/h but knowing Tosco it will be in 2 increments

Checkout Superstar

Defo looks like £11 is coming but at the expense of the Sunday premium going.

It shouldn't be a surprise. This was on the cards when they changed it for new starters last summer.  Question is whether they will pay protect those contracted to  a Sunday for  a year or just ditch it in one go.

I would rather they ditched it in one go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk