Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markwinters

So looks like that all superstore team managers are set to follow the express example and become shift leaders for less pay..
NO TEAM Manager vacancies online, these were pulled before Christmas, stores must be at or below structure in some areas, and over in others, why isn't the policy being followed through to move managers- because something else is coming!
New protection policy about protecting pay- losing any lump sum payment- about to dumped on- coming to a store near your just after viewpoint- or whatever Its called these days

madness

Tesc0Wow

So 1 manager for a superstore? Let's bear in mind that superstores range from taking 100-200k to over 1.5m a week. Who's going to do formal meetings? Who's going to do Rotas? Who looks after departments? I get it in the smallest of superstores it may work, like our former metros. And some really small superstores, but not in most.

I can see changes coming in management structure, but I don't think this is it...

markwinters

Not all team managers will become shift leaders ,will be scored to hit new structure, eg from 8 managers to 2 or 3 in larger stores. lead managers expected to pick up more of this where applicable, all very store specific agreed by SD

markwinters

Quote from: markwinters on 29-12-22, 12:04PMNot all team managers will become shift leaders ,will be scored to hit new structure, eg from 8 managers to 2 or 3 in larger stores. lead managers expected to pick up more of this where applicable, all very store specific agreed by SD
look at is as annual review for stores  with added benefits ( for the company not the people) Difficult to say more for obvious reasons, but why no vacancies, why new protection policy and why no drive to achieve structure,, hold on about to get royally shafted again, plenty of history of that!

trolleyboy96

Can see changes coming again, probably announced week 1 and start in April as seems the trend.

Certainly in our store only 1 out of the 5 shift leaders are ready for running the store, the other 4 are struggling, ultimately someone has to have responsibility for certain areas of the shop unless they increase the shift leader pay in line with responsibilities but still cheaper than team managers.

Also all manager vacancies are pulled before Christmas to prevent the upheaval of moving at a business critical part of the year. This happens every year, normally 8 weeks before Christmas.

penguin

Quote from: Tesc0Wow on 29-12-22, 11:54AMSo 1 manager for a superstore? Let's bear in mind that superstores range from taking 100-200k to over 1.5m a week. Who's going to do formal meetings? Who's going to do Rotas? Who looks after departments? I get it in the smallest of superstores it may work, like our former metros. And some really small superstores, but not in most.

I can see changes coming in management structure, but I don't think this is it...

You do not need a manager to do a formal meeting or even sack someone believe it or not, anyone can be trained up and given the authority to carry out such tasks, its just that at the moment that falls down to people with the title of manager in Tesco. Where I work senior leaders do it, and there in between team leaders and actual management.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Morris999

Manager's vacancies have always been pulled in the run up to Christmas in the 2 decades I've worked for the company, so them doing it again this year is nothing new or unusual!

No SD, Union Rep or colleague will have been told anything that's do to with any restructures this early as they will not have been fully signed off by them at the top just yet!
That will happen in the coming weeks.
Yes there will be people working on ideas to save the company money, as there always is, but it will all still need to be signed off over the coming weeks!

So anything that people are posting is pure speculation on their part at this time!

Jeff123

Structure will be to loose half the team manager headcount in each store replaced by shift leaders, structure will be managers have area of responsibility and equal headcount of colleagues accountable for recruiting, Rotas, training, say and performance management, shift leaders will be duty cover and responsible for the shop floor day to day overseeing the operation customer facing.
The managers will I expect need to interview and score points to keep jobs the ones that fall short will be offered shift leader roles on protected pay untill they drop to there new lower wage this will mean some managers quit without the offer of redundancies we will loose experience and skills but save some money.
Everyone knows it's a job nothing more loyalty means nothing do what u need to do to look after yourselves Tesco wont care It's a business not a friend or family member they employ you instruct you and dismiss you when they decide to.

sparkles76

Morris999

Jeff, the management structure you have just described is already the structure in the majority of superstores, and has been for nearly 2 years!
Your a bit behind the times with that one.
Even some extras are on the same.
Yes some are not there yet, however Tesco's roadmap was for all stores to hit after 5 years!
However Tesco were surprised with how quickly they are nearly at it!
Most superstores on that structure are either already at target management or very nearly there.
Unless they get rid of all team managers in superstores and replace with a deputy and increase the responsibilities of the shift leaders there's nothing else manager wise they can cut back on.
Yes there's still room to get rid of team managers in the remaining superstores and extras However that will mean an end to all frontend team support roles too.

Nothing has officially been decided yet and nothing has officially been announced either.
Anything else is just pure speculation at this moment in time.

All I'll say to those posting things is out your money where your mouth is and show the evidence.
Just saying I've heard it from a reliable source or I'm not willing to say because it'll identify me is just BS and we all know it.

Now don't get me wrong, I know from experience there will be changes coming in the new year, that's a given, however posting this early when there's no evidence to back up these claims is not very helpful and will upset and unsettle colleagues/managers unnecessarily.

trolleyboy96

At times the new structure just doesn't work, too many of the better managers have left and the step from colleague to manager is too great, the shift leader role helps but that feels too flexible, in a twilight store it appears the early shift leader fills fresh and takes duty calls while the late does the opposite and fills grocery and takes duty calls, there's very little overlap and while it probably hasn't landed well in our store you hear some horror stories from others. We tried to go too quick and haven't trained the shift leaders to support before ripping the managers out.

Redshoes

Quote from: markwinters on 29-12-22, 11:06AMSo looks like that all superstore team managers are set to follow the express example and become shift leaders for less pay..
NO TEAM Manager vacancies online, these were pulled before Christmas, stores must be at or below structure in some areas, and over in others, why isn't the policy being followed through to move managers- because something else is coming!
New protection policy about protecting pay- losing any lump sum payment- about to dumped on- coming to a store near your just after viewpoint- or whatever Its called these days

I think it's more likely to have a slim down. For my store the structure is for 3 managers and four shift leads. We have four managers and two shift leads. Team managers on new structure are to do mid shifts and shift leads the open early and late shifts. At the moment we all do all shifts. Shift leads are supposed to lead on shop floor and manager more admin. We can't work like this now. Our shift leads do a little extra as in more in the way of overtime issuing and rotas. Managers do full admin but also do a lot more shop floor work.
There is a local extra that has 10 managers over structure.
Hence why no manager recruitment. There are no jobs. Some groups may be under structure for manager hours but as a whole the company is sitting high.
I think that it will be roles that go, much like they did with removing compliance managers. Then there is the senior team that is no longer part of structure.

Tesc0Wow

My store is at structure, currently 1 SM, 4 TM, 4 SL. SL run the shop generally like run the main fill on grocery & fresh as well as duty and cover all earlies and lates. Team managers do the Rotas but do help on shop floor too. Overall it works, but you need good shift leads who are knowledgeable for it to work. which is hard to attract with the current pay

NightAndDay

The idea when Shift Leaders were introduced in Express was "more feet on the floor", to be fair, it was one of the structure changes I agreed with, Express Deputy Store Managers weren't really worth the money they were on and it made more sense to have more cover.

londoner83

Redshoes- are you saying senior team are on the way out then?

NightAndDay

Londoner, I would think that would be the case, It makes little sense to have 3 (4 if you include the SM) layers of management sharing a set of the R  for an area of the store, the idea as well to cut costs is to devolve and spread the workload.

Redshoes

Quote from: londoner83 on 30-12-22, 09:07PMRedshoes- are you saying senior team are on the way out then?

I don't have any inside info. It's just my guess.
I think to get store to structure will be top. That starts with senior team and then team managers. Store managers could end up with more than one store in some small superstores.
Then I think the serve, pick and fill will kick in big time. The closer a store is to structure the less this will impact colleagues. Any depts that are over hours will be more likely be expected to support other areas that are under hours.
Wages and admin could be hit as a result of managers moving towards an admin role and relating to a more online process of booking holiday etc. The launch of booking hols online was paused until after Christmas, it's on its way.
I think CSD opening hours could be reduced. For us they are busy mornings and afternoons but less so in the evenings. I have heard of stores where the desk has been moved.
I think anyone who has time to chat or manages to take extended breaks needs to expect a bigger workload that could be in a different area. The hours are going to be tight.

forrestgimp

Perhaps speculating on people losing their jobs is not the best way to go, people are stressed enough already without unfounded rumours sending them over the edge. We should wait and see before spouting nonsense,

madness

Quote from: Redshoes on 31-12-22, 08:18AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 30-12-22, 09:07PMRedshoes- are you saying senior team are on the way out then?

I don't have any inside info. It's just my guess.
I think to get store to structure will be top. That starts with senior team and then team managers. Store managers could end up with more than one store in some small superstores.
Then I think the serve, pick and fill will kick in big time. The closer a store is to structure the less this will impact colleagues. Any depts that are over hours will be more likely be expected to support other areas that are under hours.
Wages and admin could be hit as a result of managers moving towards an admin role and relating to a more online process of booking holiday etc. The launch of booking hols online was paused until after Christmas, it's on its way.
I think CSD opening hours could be reduced. For us they are busy mornings and afternoons but less so in the evenings. I have heard of stores where the desk has been moved.
I think anyone who has time to chat or manages to take extended breaks needs to expect a bigger workload that could be in a different area. The hours are going to be tight.

Which departments are over houred nowadays? Ever seen the actual hours breakdown?  its usually  "you need 150 hours for everything but you will run at 110% effeciency so actually 135hours.   Oh and you can't recruit for your 15 hour vacancy so its actaully 120 hrs.      ok 20 hours holiday this week great here have 10 hours signed off for overtime so you are now trying to run on 110 hours.  Oh by the way dot com is short go pick for 3 hours tehn answer a red call.
"Right sorry no pay rise for you you missed all your targets and your department is a bin...

londoner83

Personally think the big change this year will be schedule to workload that was postponed from before Xmas.

Even if your dept has the correct allowed hours unless these hours fall exactly where the heat map says potentially you will be put elsewhere.

All those cashiers in from 6am or after 9pm that aren't particularly busy could be in for a shock if they are scheduled to a replenishment area. Likewise all those depts that schedule breaks 12-2pm may find instead staff are scheduled to tills to cover the lunch time rush and their breaks are pushed earlier or later when the heat map says there is less work to do.

There will be very few, if any departments in the store where every hour scheduled matches the heat map.

With the new contract and pick, fill, serve training allowing most employees to be put anywhere...can see shed loads of meetings needed to ensure colleagues follow their schedule and then deal with any conduct issues when they don't.

So whilst cutting manager headcount may be a longer term aim, it would be foolish to strip out too many now when a bigger saving for Tesco will be for schedule to workload to be  successfully implemented.

whatajoke2019

I know DL was bad but KM seems to be hell bent on running us into an iceberg and making sure they are safely on their way in their lifeboats, *should* this rumour be true.

We all know it's not long before there's potentially a raft of changes to "simplify the business" but speculation (which I feel this is, sorry) at the time of our cost of living crisis doesn't help anyone.

Personal opinion but if they want Aldi/Lidl to be first & second in the 'Big Four' they certainly are going the right way about helping them get there quicker than they think.

This 'investing' business isn't fooling customers as it sure as hell isn't being used to lower prices for them at the expense of having feet on the floor to deliver the operation  ???

NightAndDay

It's been widely enough publicised that Tesco won't be the biggest grocer in the UK by the end of this decade, but that to be fair is down to factors outside their control, Aldi and Lidl will continuously take market share away as they build more stores around the country (the cost of living crisis also lends itself well to their operational model of fewer SKUs and low number of staff) and there's also the sizable elephant in the room which is Amazon planning on entering the brick and mortar grocery business also with a view to take the number 1 spot.

Mrbline

They have put shift leaders on nighte my previous group no replacing any manager thay have left

Also I believe night lead will go and possibly administration manager as some team managers do there own coding now  wage clerk will definitely be removed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk