Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:02AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 418
Total: 420

Night being axe replaced with twilight hours

Started by Bobmay, 04-11-22, 04:24AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5fdp

I would imagine that each group with nightshifts will be asked to lose a nightshift and go to twilight. However, its becoming more apparent that filling on the backshift is not as easy as it sounds. Many staff can't wait for redundancy,  but many are not. There will be plenty of jobs early morning and in the afternoons should you wish to stay. Most staff on nights are no longer full time so getting the same hours on a morning or twilight should be achievable. We will know nothing until end February into March at the earliest.  So sit back and relax till then.

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: Bobmay on 05-11-22, 11:15AM
Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 04-11-22, 10:19PMThey will eradicate nights as soon as they can because they are literally copying Aldi/lidl where they do not have any night teams. The company is a shambles, so just wait it out to get redundancy. They got rid of nights in my store a few years back even though it's sales were over a 1.5 million a week. The twilight shift that prevailed hit those numbers over the coming months and the same store struggles to turnover 800k a week now. They have not gone back to a nightshift since this has happened, so it looks like suicide to me in profitability, just to save a few pounds on shift premiums. Working 3-12:30 is probably the worst hours you could work. You'd never see your family at all and recruitment is constant as nobody stays to do those hours other than a few single parents to claim their benefits.

That my point I dont see tesco paying 15 pound an hour for nights. When they removed nights from your store was it extremly busy and what were the signs they were going to remove nights from your store?  In my store they are keep hiring morning and evening staff half the night team have left not 1 person replaced.

Signs of us going from nightshift to twilights was, constant denial from all management that it was going to happen. Delivery times changed. Cage location/spaces on aisle being installed. They kept hiring night staff right up until about 4 weeks before we were told so if they are still hiring that doesn't mean they won't change to twilights. We were a extra store with dot com operating out of it. From what I can gather the area managers got targeted stores that would lose nightshift but that also would be best able to cope with twilights put in place. My store was one they got wrong along with probably a few others. I do think they'll put every store to twilight fill just like Aldi/Lidl does. My advice would be to take the redundancy. They tried their hardest to make us select twilight hours and they will play on "what about your family, mortgage payments, you sure you wanna risk it and not find a job?" 58 staff and 55 took redundancy. Glad to say all of them found jobs pretty quickly with better pay and conditions. A few have gone back to store, but that has upset the day staff as they didn't get the 20k lump sum for redundancy.

NightAndDay

You could always get Elon Musk to buy Tesco so he could do the Twitter treatment to it  ;D .

Spinney

I don't care ! I just want redundancy and then I'm gone! Goodbye farewell! I've asked to be top of the list all us long servers on nights are just waiting the sooner the better! Management just say they don't do redundancy anymore! Lol prats brain washed to make people think there is no life outside tesco!

madness

Tesco won't do mass redundancy again they learned that lesson a while ago...

Morrissey1912

What gets me is I'm sure these comments worry a lot of people.  Until there is something concrete announced everyone should treat it as hearsay.  Axing nights in all stores won't work and will only cause more problems down the line.  Anyhow they might cut more manager roles to save money as I'm sure they're taking a hit there also.

Iusedtoenjoywork

I used to work nights, they made us redundant 30th April. So managers saying they don't do redundancy anymore is rubbish. Overall, best thing that ever happened for me. New job and a few quid in the bank. Thanks Tesco .

Bobmay

Quote from: 5fdp on 07-11-22, 02:51AMI would imagine that each group with nightshifts will be asked to lose a nightshift and go to twilight. However, its becoming more apparent that filling on the backshift is not as easy as it sounds. Many staff can't wait for redundancy,  but many are not. There will be plenty of jobs early morning and in the afternoons should you wish to stay. Most staff on nights are no longer full time so getting the same hours on a morning or twilight should be achievable. We will know nothing until end February into March at the earliest.  So sit back and relax till then.

Agreed most staff are now just waiting for redundancy payments. What do you think tesco will pay next pay increase 1 pound extra an hour? 2 pound 60p?

Bobmay

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 07-11-22, 10:10AM
Quote from: Bobmay on 05-11-22, 11:15AM
Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 04-11-22, 10:19PMThey will eradicate nights as soon as they can because they are literally copying Aldi/lidl where they do not have any night teams. The company is a shambles, so just wait it out to get redundancy. They got rid of nights in my store a few years back even though it's sales were over a 1.5 million a week. The twilight shift that prevailed hit those numbers over the coming months and the same store struggles to turnover 800k a week now. They have not gone back to a nightshift since this has happened, so it looks like suicide to me in profitability, just to save a few pounds on shift premiums. Working 3-12:30 is probably the worst hours you could work. You'd never see your family at all and recruitment is constant as nobody stays to do those hours other than a few single parents to claim their benefits.

That my point I dont see tesco paying 15 pound an hour for nights. When they removed nights from your store was it extremly busy and what were the signs they were going to remove nights from your store?  In my store they are keep hiring morning and evening staff half the night team have left not 1 person replaced.

Signs of us going from nightshift to twilights was, constant denial from all management that it was going to happen. Delivery times changed. Cage location/spaces on aisle being installed. They kept hiring night staff right up until about 4 weeks before we were told so if they are still hiring that doesn't mean they won't change to twilights. We were a extra store with dot com operating out of it. From what I can gather the area managers got targeted stores that would lose nightshift but that also would be best able to cope with twilights put in place. My store was one they got wrong along with probably a few others. I do think they'll put every store to twilight fill just like Aldi/Lidl does. My advice would be to take the redundancy. They tried their hardest to make us select twilight hours and they will play on "what about your family, mortgage payments, you sure you wanna risk it and not find a job?" 58 staff and 55 took redundancy. Glad to say all of them found jobs pretty quickly with better pay and conditions. A few have gone back to store, but that has upset the day staff as they didn't get the 20k lump sum for redundancy.

In my store that have changed delivery hours and have asked so many people to change their hours to twilight or  morning and evening they even pressured them so much. Was your store extremly busy all the time when they remove night? Also did you have visit from head office very often coming into your store?  Bist from area manager many times in an month? Where they hiring more people in the morning and evening than in the nights?

Bobmay

Quote from: Iusedtoenjoywork on 08-11-22, 03:06PMI used to work nights, they made us redundant 30th April. So managers saying they don't do redundancy anymore is rubbish. Overall, best thing that ever happened for me. New job and a few quid in the bank. Thanks Tesco .

Agreed they always say no redundancy than you see the signs all around you such as them not hiring staff for nights and only for morning and evening chat wait to take the money

Mickymouse1962

I am hoping the 15 security who work for tesco are offered redundancy soon please

Bobmay

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 15-11-22, 07:52AMI am hoping the 15 security who work for tesco are offered redundancy soon please

If they work for tesco directly they might be as tesco uses an agency called tss

Mrbline

Night lead managers will go over after Xmas you can see shift leaders being advertised on the Tesco careers website now for nights.

5fdp

Nightworker

Lead managers will be gone next year also will 1 or 2 nights per group. Massive savings to be made and Tesco no longer care about standards neither do customers it's only about profit!!!
Leads on 40-50k per year
Stores with 1 lead and 3 line managers on nights about £130-£150k per year so nearly £200k per year. Tesco make 3.5p of profit per £1 of sales so the store could afford to lose £6m in sales to maintain same profit if lead and nights go( and I didn't mention night prem savings either) however most stores sales seem to go up after nights go to twilight as well so it's a no brainier really from Tesco point of view!!!
Profit profit profit that's all that natters

Spongbob

Basically they will have too kill something too pay for payrise remember every little penny helps

leeds106

Having done nights for 20 years and currently a manager if they were to ever cull the night teams, which I can't see to be honest, but if redundancy was on offer I would 100% accept it as I wouldn't go do the same job for less money.
I personally would be mortified if it happened to my night team a lot of whom I have worked with for over 15 years and it would be a huge shame to split up the great team I'm lucky enough to have working with me.
I went through the redundancy period in the store I did my management placement in when they culled nights in superstores and many of those staff had 10 to 30 years of service and although I was fortunate I would just return to my own store it was heartbreaking to see a team of great people split apart and be worrying how they were going to manage in the future.
Thankfully I think they all either stayed or found new jobs quickly but the uncertainty certainly isn't nice to see.

If it happens it happens but I personally don't see it happening in every store with a night team and specially ones with .com depts

chris9997

The thing about culling nights I believe it to be inevitable eventually as when it started it was hailed as a new way of working and moving towards supporting new shopping habits. I personally don't believe .com will be considered.

lucgeo

.com already purge the warehouse for the best dates from that day's delivery, totally oblivious to stock records, rotation or the mess they leave behind them!
Every Christmas they have their own stacking shelves out back, and the delivery is ransacked to fill them!
Can see cages of fresh deliveries for .com only, becoming the norm, with a colleague coming in after last pick to stock transfer into the store and then dump their surplus into the store chillers!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

T.C.1

So in my store checkout staff have started being trained on .com and filling so thus sick rate has shot up. Why doesn't Tesco take the hit give redundancy to long serving colleagues then they can have the business model they want.

madness

What so checkout staff can't manage to push a trolly round a shop for a while. Too many obese wasters in the company.

londoner83

Checkout staff have got to realise that in most large stores 50%+ of customers use self serve and as today's older generation  dies off the demand for manned tills will drop even further.

The days of sitting down, chatting and scanning will for many be over. Tesco may down the line offer redundancy but at present it's far more cost effective to get people who don't like the new pick/fill/serve contract to decide to leave themselves.

Mark calloway

Most are not using self service in our store. Young and old.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk