News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:02AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 431
Total: 434

Shift leader

Started by Sjm23, 01-08-22, 02:54PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

keef...keef...keef...it's not your problemo...you book your holidays, get them authorised, if no one else booked, then they're yours... :thumbup:

You DO NOT have to ensure that there is cover whilst your off! Why would you?? Do other CA's have to ensure this? NO!! it's not for you to get cover, it's for your manager to do this!

For the record...when you book holidays, if they don't authorise immediately, then they have 7 days to respond to a yay or nay...no response in this timescale then the holiday is assumed as passed. Always have copy of request, date, time and manager HANDED to!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: keef1894 on 15-10-22, 06:38PMSorry I can't seem to see how to create a new topic.  As service team support are you expected to get your holidays covered or is it up to the manager to make sure there is cover so someone can cover my job whilst off?

Ref: starting new topics.  Please read VLH Supporter Benefits

Managers do rotas, part of that is to work around people being on leave, it's Rotas that are a management responsibility so therefore it falls on them to get it covered.

Nightproduceworker

Myself and couple others on nights are being mentioned to put forward for this, my own history with the company, I've had opportunity before, messed around in the past and taken the p**s our of.

It's a massive grey area ahead as nights going in alot more stores in the new year with plenty of changes. By doing this save my job?

The equal pay claim decision in February. There is alot going on and I'm not sure what to do. The money itself doesn't seem worth it. But it depends on the nights and redundancy offers as I feel this is an opportunity to keep those they feel are worth keeping on work ethic and age. As alot of people on our night crews are either injured or old now.

lucgeo

There's a protocol and procedures to follow regarding redundancies instore. It is not decided by the store, as to who to keep, but by different elements.

Dept to start with. Everyone will be looked at, then it's hours/shifts on offer. Each member has a criteria scoring, if applying for same role/hours etc...length of service, attendance, extra responsibilities for being a rep or first aider get extra points.

If involved in a redundancy situation, NEVER go into a meeting without a witness, NEVER believe what the store manager says, NEVER listen to what other colleagues think or say, or any doom and gloom gossip and rumours!
A designated redundancy manager will be there to talk you through, answer questions and give written records of every meeting!

With personal experience I have witnessed numerous colleagues being told a load of c**p, by senior managers and SM, to scare colleagues into accepting a drop of hours/shifts to save on the wage and redundancy budget!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nightproduceworker

Good advice! Well I don't want the shift leader role, if I'm all honest. Redundancy offered, I'll take it. But there is talks flying round about many changes happening next year between Feb and April. Tesco have already said nights will be going. For many reasons, first the new contract now has taken away the old contract of going off one shift and getting paid. Getting rid of nights will get rid of nights premium. Or at least most of it if twilight hours come into place till 2am.

It's inevitable it will happen, and afraid for a lot of people it's going to hit quick and hard.

whatajoke2019

I've found this on Colleague Help:

There is no change to sickness entitlement because of the new contract, but as part time flexible contracts are being removed, the absence percentage calculation will change for these colleagues, and will be aligned to the current calculation used for all other colleagues.

Pay for absence will continue to be in line with the policy. When colleagues are paid contractual pay, they will be paid based on what they would have earned had they been at work (the same as before).

So, to me, that would imply those colleagues who've been with the company long enough to be paid from day one will continue to do so?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Nights goes in our store next year. Delivery volumes are much less than they used to be, say, six months ago. Even on the nights it feels as if we're short staffed it somehow, on the whole, seemingly gets done. I know several of us would take the redundancy and run!

Bobmay

Quote from: Nightproduceworker on 20-10-22, 10:30PMMyself and couple others on nights are being mentioned to put forward for this, my own history with the company, I've had opportunity before, messed around in the past and taken the p**s our of.

It's a massive grey area ahead as nights going in alot more stores in the new year with plenty of changes. By doing this save my job?

The equal pay claim decision in February. There is alot going on and I'm not sure what to do. The money itself doesn't seem worth it. But it depends on the nights and redundancy offers as I feel this is an opportunity to keep those they feel are worth keeping on work ethic and age. As alot of people on our night crews are either injured or old now.

Who said they will remove night in the new year is that your stores all store of some stores? In my store which is ex metro more than half the staff left and barely anyone left they keep hiring more evening and morning staff no night staff. Also what store is your store is in metro superstore extra etc.Is it the same as mine where they don't hire any night but only evening and mornings?

Bobmay

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-10-22, 04:46PMThere's a protocol and procedures to follow regarding redundancies instore. It is not decided by the store, as to who to keep, but by different elements.

Dept to start with. Everyone will be looked at, then it's hours/shifts on offer. Each member has a criteria scoring, if applying for same role/hours etc...length of service, attendance, extra responsibilities for being a rep or first aider get extra points.

If involved in a redundancy situation, NEVER go into a meeting without a witness, NEVER believe what the store manager says, NEVER listen to what other colleagues think or say, or any doom and gloom gossip and rumours!
A designated redundancy manager will be there to talk you through, answer questions and give written records of every meeting!

With personal experience I have witnessed numerous colleagues being told a load of c**p, by senior managers and SM, to scare colleagues into accepting a drop of hours/shifts to save on the wage and redundancy budget!

I would take the redundancy and not accept anything else.

Bobmay

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 22-10-22, 10:15AMI've found this on Colleague Help:

There is no change to sickness entitlement because of the new contract, but as part time flexible contracts are being removed, the absence percentage calculation will change for these colleagues, and will be aligned to the current calculation used for all other colleagues.

Pay for absence will continue to be in line with the policy. When colleagues are paid contractual pay, they will be paid based on what they would have earned had they been at work (the same as before).

So, to me, that would imply those colleagues who've been with the company long enough to be paid from day one will continue to do so?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Nights goes in our store next year. Delivery volumes are much less than they used to be, say, six months ago. Even on the nights it feels as if we're short staffed it somehow, on the whole, seemingly gets done. I know several of us would take the redundancy and run!

One sign they will remove nights from your store is that they  dont hire people to replace the staff that left. Also I agree that one day they will remove nights I want to know where did people get this from they will remove night year from manager from tesco ceo etc.

BobsBananas

I stepped up as a shift leader last year, but was only paid the extra money when one of the managers was off and I "stepped up". Soon found that I was doing it all the time and not being paid all the time. As others have said, I barely saw the raise as it went in tax and national insurance. I dropped back down after six months and felt so much better for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk