News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:39PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 283
Total: 286

Checkout training

Started by bornfree, 21-03-22, 06:02PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tescopleb

The problem here isn't the staff but as usual Tosco. They want to reorganize the business, fine but rather than just offer redundancy to anyone who wants it they try to do it on the cheap. The end result is staff turn against staff and managers alike rather than where it should be directed.

londoner83

There are also colleagues who don't like change and view anything different as totally unreasonable.

For example why should Doris, Belinda and Martha (all able bodied fit colleagues) be allowed to sit grazing into space on a till for the first few hours of their shifts when  customers are limited when Sabina on BWS  has 10 cages of wine to work on her own.

Likewise why should Doris, Belinda and Martha take customer abuse at lunchtime around lack of tills open when Mike, David and Adam are stood around on Produce with little to do staring at the empty tomato and pepper shelves.

ExSMfloor

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm over 95% sure the 2005 clause doesn't apply after October with the new colleague contract, we had this confirmed in our store after a query

fscer

lucgeo

Quote from: ExSMfloor on 24-02-23, 02:22PMSomeone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm over 95% sure the 2005 clause doesn't apply after October with the new colleague contract, we had this confirmed in our store after a query

Confirmed by whom? Ask them again, but insist this time they put that statement in writing! They're telling you lies! Wonder why ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

Quote from: ExSMfloor on 24-02-23, 02:22PMSomeone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm over 95% sure the 2005 clause doesn't apply after October with the new colleague contract, we had this confirmed in our store after a query
WRONG!!! have had e mails from usdaw that 2005 agreement still stands. therefore somebody is lying >:D

Sherwoodforest

You only have to go on ourtesco and read through serve brief,i did copy paste it on page 4 of this thread,not my own words,tescos
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

lackofinterest

theres only 3 pages to this thread

Sherwoodforest

What is the 2005 Checkout Agreement?
In July 2005, it was jointly agreed that B and C Grade roles should be paid the same hourly rate, in recognition that all jobs are customer facing. B grade colleagues subsequently received an increased pay award to bring them in line with our C grade colleagues.

Part of the agreement was that existing colleagues employed on a B grade before the change would be encouraged to take on checkout duties to support the store when required. However, if a colleague decided they did not want to be checkout trained they would still be required to work in other areas of the store operation, providing they were trained equipped and able to.

The agreement covers main bank checkouts and does not include self-service, or scan as you shop.

Sherwoodforest

Thats off supporting colleagues with serve training on ourtesco,updated oct2022

Nomad

Checkout training

QuoteIf you started prior to the 2005 pay deal, you do not have to work on checkouts.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

londoner83

Checkouts = main bank tills.

Self-serve and scan as you shop werent in universal existence (if at all) in 2005 so aren't covered.

End of the day, if the business ultimately sacked someone for repeatedly refusing to operate a till would you be able to show at a tribunal  it is such a unreasonable request or would a court feel the average man/woman etc in the street would consider it fair and reasonable a shop worker in 2023 should be able to sign on and operate a till or man a self serve area?

lucgeo

Quote from: HalloweenJack on 31-01-23, 05:59PMFirst self service in tesco was 12th september 2003 (Hove Express), so that checkout agreement was after they started rolling them out.

Quote from: HalloweenJack on 01-02-23, 10:55AM
Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 31-01-23, 08:20PM@halloweenjack rolling them out is not showing 1 store had them, the store I started in opened 2003 and never had them until quite a few years after.

Hove was just the first one, Lemmington Spa started its own self service 2 days later and the roll out continued , i think it was 35 stores in 2 months, all before end of 2003.

Beg to differ...but as they were in existence and being operated in stores almost 2 years prior to the 2005 agreement,  were not specifically mentioned as excluded or stated as exempt from that agreement, then it remains the status quo.

You can't just rock up 18 years later and attempt to change the understanding of a prior agreement to suit. Any amendment or later inclusions must be discussed and agreed by all parties concerned.

Nomad

@londoner83 Do you have documentation/or a link to docs that define 'Checkout = main bank till', or is that your own interpretation ?

Your last paragraph is totally irrelevant if an agreement exists to the contrary.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

Quote from: londoner83 on 25-02-23, 06:08AMCheckouts = main bank tills.

Self-serve and scan as you shop werent in universal existence (if at all) in 2005 so aren't covered.

End of the day, if the business ultimately sacked someone for repeatedly refusing to operate a till would you be able to show at a tribunal  it is such a unreasonable request or would a court feel the average man/woman etc in the street would consider it fair and reasonable a shop worker in 2023 should be able to sign on and operate a till or man a self serve area?

A tribunal would find in favour as an unreasonable request, due to the 2005 agreement.

You yourself in your last sentence have the checkout and self serve as one, as indeed they are as both come under the same department umbrella for checkouts.

londoner83

The retail landscape in 2005 was remarkably different from today. People largely did a big weekly shop and our .com trade was nowhere near as big as today.

Now people shop little and often and more use online options. As a result headcount in stores has fallen....

If it suits you keep on believing that because of a agreement 18 years ago you shouldn't have to serve the people who pay your wages. However I believe in 2023 every colleague who is physically and mentally able to should be able to jump on either a till or self serve area  to limit queues.

Bottom line is if customers don't get served quickly they won't come back. If they don't return Tesco will take a profits hit and that will in turn cut more jobs.

If you have a medical reason why you can't be trained Occupational Health will no doubt exempt you.

lucgeo

I don't disagree with you that times and shopping habits have changed...but the agreement stands.

Tesco have had plenty of opportunity to address this issue over the years, but they have chosen to rely on natural wastage to erode the old timers out, and bluff their way that the contract no longer stands. WRONG!!
They rely on managers bluffing their teams into believing the agreement is no longer valid...once any hoodwinked old timer believes this to be true and agrees to training on the checkouts, they have given up their protection under the 2005 agreement.

Are you comfortable with the bluffing, lying and choosing to pursue the eroding of their rights just to achieve a checkout queue target??  ???  ???  ??? Shame on you  :-X  :-X

lackofinterest

@londoner83 they will cut jobs even if profits go up because of the greedy ones at the top >:D

lackofinterest

Quote from: lucgeo on 25-02-23, 08:54PMI don't disagree with you that times and shopping habits have changed...but the agreement stands.

Tesco have had plenty of opportunity to address this issue over the years, but they have chosen to rely on natural wastage to erode the old timers out, and bluff their way that the contract no longer stands. WRONG!!
They rely on managers bluffing their teams into believing the agreement is no longer valid...once any hoodwinked old timer believes this to be true and agrees to training on the checkouts, they have given up their protection under the 2005 agreement.

Are you comfortable with the bluffing, lying and choosing to pursue the eroding of their rights just to achieve a checkout queue target??  ???  ???  ??? Shame on you  :-X  :-X

:thumbup: well said mate :)

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Redshoes

Quote from: lucgeo on 25-02-23, 11:13AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 25-02-23, 06:08AMCheckouts = main bank tills.

A tribunal would find in favour as an unreasonable request, due to the 2005 agreement.

You yourself in your last sentence have the checkout and self serve as one, as indeed they are as both come under the same department umbrella for checkouts.

Checkouts and self service are actually different Depts, in the system. Overtime is requested separately, each is either over or under hours. Colleagues can be contracted to either self service or checkouts as a primary task. Training is separate. Skills are different.
When we have festive temps we don't tend to train them on self service. We train people when we think they are going to be kept on or we aim to try and keep them. I do however have a couple of colleagues who don't do self service, one has not been trained and one has requested not to go back on self service after being off sick.
Self service tills are far from being an easy option. It's much easier to go on a main bank till. You have to watch multiple tills and often when very busy. Most stores now have T.tills and NCR tills within self service. They work a little differently and if you have to sign in as part of an intervention it's different. 

londoner83

I don't disagree that it's far easier to work a main bank till and have to serve 1 customer at a time, than be responsible for multiple tills on different operating systems in the self serve area.

General Thorn

Quote from: londoner83 on 25-02-23, 05:54PMIf it suits you keep on believing that because of a agreement 18 years ago you shouldn't have to serve the people who pay your wages. However I believe in 2023 every colleague who is physically and mentally able to should be able to jump on either a till or self serve area  to limit queues.

Bottom line is if customers don't get served quickly they won't come back. If they don't return Tesco will take a profits hit and that will in turn cut more jobs.

Firstly the customers do NOT pay my wages.

Secondly, if the shelves are empty, customers won't come back no matter how quickly they're served.

Thirdly, Tesco has been making a huge profit yet still cut jobs. Perhaps if they do take a hit they will realise that they really have cut far too many jobs and demoralised their remaining staff so much that no-one really takes pride in working for them anymore.

oldfashionedplayer

In a way customers do pay the wages, without them as you say the company would take an loss...though as they've said a few years back that they only made a profit before due to shelf allocation with brands etc.. (companies pay for each facing and position on the shelf, eye level = more expensive) etc

But they definitely need to lose money for it to hit home...

lackofinterest

Quote from: General Thorn on 26-02-23, 09:08PM
Quote from: londoner83 on 25-02-23, 05:54PMIf it suits you keep on believing that because of a agreement 18 years ago you shouldn't have to serve the people who pay your wages. However I believe in 2023 every colleague who is physically and mentally able to should be able to jump on either a till or self serve area  to limit queues.

Firstly the customers do NOT pay my wages.

Secondly, if the shelves are empty, customers won't come back no matter how quickly they're served.

Thirdly, Tesco has been making a huge profit yet still cut jobs. Perhaps if they do take a hit they will realise that they really have cut far too many jobs and demoralised their remaining staff so much that no-one really takes pride in working for them anymore.

spot on mate  :thumbup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk