Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 10:48AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,364
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 391
Total: 393

6 mins late, have to make up 15 minutes!?

Started by Chambers21, 03-09-21, 08:00AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chambers21

So i was 6 minutes late this morning and i've been told company policy is that I know have to stay for 15 minutes after my shift. Can anyone please let me know whether or not this is true!?

oldfashionedplayer

Nope, not true.... If your late you can be docked but it has to be the full alloted time, otherwise it'd withholding pay... Its complete  :-X :-X :-X lateness can be addressed by a manager doing a lets talk to find out why if its multiple occasions, if it's in values of 15 mins it can be docked since that's how pay is processed but below 15 mins and one offs etc aren't to be treated that way... Ask them do your colleagues stay behind or do they?   :D

dirty-donkey

You cannot be deducted anything, at all, ever, without either your written permission or a court order. Also you do not HAVE to stay back to 'make it up.
If this is a one off, tell your manageer to give his head a good wobble and get over himself.
If it is a recurring issue, give yourself a good shake, and buck up.
Either way - no deduction without your written permission (Truck emplyment acts c.1888) if they are seriously going to spend 30 mins for two people doing a lets talk over a six min lateness, explain to them the stupidity of this. Also get union involvel and waste everybodies time. Add up all the man hours and present it to someone way abouve this clown.
These half-wits are making it up as they go along, dont back down.

penguin

Told by whom, if it was someone in charge then that person needs to be trained up on lateness policy, if it was anyone else just ignore them as its nothing to do with them anyway.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Stevil

on the odd occasion i have been late i have never lost any pay. another colleague is constantly 10-20 minutes every day and he isnt docked or even addressed by a manager regarding it

VladPutin

Oh, Hell no. They can ask you to make up the time you were late. Anything over that counts as overtime and has to be paid as such. This was sorted out years ago.

whatajoke2019

A number of years ago now I was late due to a serious RTA en route to work and all other routes were congested as a result.

Apologised to my then manager and waited until quarter past the hour I was meant to start work and agreed to stay fifteen minutes later to make life easier for our Wage clerk (pre Work and Pay).

End result? Unpaid 15 minutes due to lateness, which I found out about much later on, when they were no longer my manager  ???.

As previously echoed it's a conduct issue, if they really want to go down that route, should lateness be a persistent issue and nor should it be unpaid.

I've never worked in Wages but I'd imagine, especially with W&P, they are able to enter notes onto the system to say that it's either a 'one off' or persistent?

horatiocain

Lateness is always paid, has been since the tribunal ruling where 17 members of staff stuck it to Tesco for docking pay and issuing warnings.

They can not punish you twice for the infraction, either they can dock pay or the can discipline the member of staff, Tesco wisely chose to include lateness within the disciplinary policy so pay cannot be deducted.
I've arrived 3 hours late and still been paid, it was a one off and I wasn't the only one that day  everyone was paid.

They should have a let's talk recorded conversation as to the reasons why but that's about it unless it's a serial problem.

Always ask to see where in the policy document it states that to any manager who talks like this.

grim up north

Isn't it a bit odd if you arrive hours late you still get paid for it?

penguin

It is odd but that is the policy and therefore what has to happen.

Nomad

It is clear from the posts in this thread you cannot be docked pay for lateness, even if the lateness involves hours late.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

horatiocain

They pay all lateness.

The reason is so they can then investigate people for being late, in the case of hours it was because the QE2 bridge was shut me aging traffic was chaos  dozens of drivers were late that day.
We've also had to be paid when we couldn't actually get to the centre for 2 hours because of bombs being found next door.

Lateness was once unpaid and treated as misconduct  after a group tribunal action it was rolled this was unlawful and the order was to reimburse the colleagues the monies docked and remove all traced of misconduct from their files.
Going forward Tesco chose to treat lateness as misconduct  meaning they must pay it to comply with the law.
If someone is persistent in being late an investigation into the cause should take place.

But a one off 6 minute lateness requires a conversation as to why  documented on a let's talk form  and nothing more.

General Thorn

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

I know let's talk forms end up on your record but for how long? I have asked managers but they don't seem to know.

So, in theory, if you get a let's talk for being late and then 6 months or a year down the line you're a few minutes late again, can they pull this first form up and use it against you?

NightAndDay

Apparently let's talks aren't a disciplinary measure but a coaching tool, It can be referenced to but but not used in further acts of misconduct of the same nature because it's not a disciplinary measure.

horatiocain

They aren't removed from your file, they remain forever, the idea being that they can identify old trends and be used to coach the employee.
Managers see them as mini warnings and will use them as such, just remember you can add anything to the form you want added I did and managers hated it,  after 6 months you can make a request to have the form removed as no longer relevant.

spike_pkh

In all my time with Tesco I have never heard of people making a request after 6 months as no longer relevant.

Please can you quote the policy on this rule?

To me it seems ridiculous if that was the case, as who says it is no longer relevant after 6 months? Surely it's a case by case basis

penguin

Quote from: horatiocain on 07-09-21, 11:55AM
They pay all lateness.

The reason is so they can then investigate people for being late, in the case of hours it was because the QE2 bridge was shut me aging traffic was chaos  dozens of drivers were late that day.
We've also had to be paid when we couldn't actually get to the centre for 2 hours because of bombs being found next door.

Lateness was once unpaid and treated as misconduct  after a group tribunal action it was rolled this was unlawful and the order was to reimburse the colleagues the monies docked and remove all traced of misconduct from their files.
Going forward Tesco chose to treat lateness as misconduct  meaning they must pay it to comply with the law.
If someone is persistent in being late an investigation into the cause should take place.

But a one off 6 minute lateness requires a conversation as to why  documented on a let's talk form  and nothing more.

No policy at all says a one off lateness of six mins needs a lets talk, in fact it seems totally over the top really.

valleyboy

Please read the policy correctly

Not all lateness is paid!!

Lateness is paid "unless covered by an exciting policy"

Ie time off polcy

Redshoes

Lateness is paid but a "let's talk" is a record of a conversation. The conversation could be from from repeated lateness heading into disciplinary, to a one off. If it's a one off the let's talk can agree working time back, this may depend on how late etc. It could be a record of a conversation to say stuck in road work or bus broke down. It could be anything. It could also be that you are in the beginning of struggling with your shift due to a change in personal circumstances.
There is a time scale for all files. They put out a clearance event every so often with what should be kept and from what date. As far as I'm aware the only thing kept forever is a till investigation form.

valleyboy

No..... lateness is not always paid. Giving this advice here and in the workplace is landing people in trouble

Yes a let's talk is a record of conversation, without it a lot of situations will be otherwise formal!

Who wants that?

Again,  yes they can be used in future formal meetings as evidence, due to an adult conversation taking place and that conversation didn't help then the alternative is a more Formal corrective measure.

Who needs a more Formal meetimg ? I know the rep who said this should have been rectified informally..... show me why it hasn't

If we all did our job things would be so much easier

Nomad

@valleyboy
A simple but comprehensive explanation of a situation where lateness is not/should not be paid could be very useful for some persons/employees. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

horatiocain

Page 3 of the policy states all lateness is paid as PA300 or L.
Both are fully paid.
It states categorically the lateness is always paid on the same page.

Furthermore is goes on to describe that a conversation should be had surrounding the cause of the lateness, which should automatically generate a let's talk form capturing this discussion.
It further illustrates when lateness could be considered misconduct.

If lateness isn't paid a grievance should be filed, its a breach of policy.

And you can request anything no longer relevant be removed from your employment file, after 6 months it can easily be argued that it isn't relevant and can be removed.
Or if they ever bring it up you make the same argument  otherwise its being used as a discplinary sanction without a hearing  which breached several employment laws.

Remember let's talk form are not discplinary sanctions  just a record of a conversation, as such if the record is no longer relevant it shouldn't remain on file and you have the right to ask for it to be removed.
Also as it isn't a dsicinary sanction using its existence as justification to launch a discplinary hearing would not hold water from a legal standpoint, you're not allowed to consider expired warnings, and warnings must have an expiration date/period.

As a let's talk has no expiration it's use is limited.
From  lateness perspective the lets talk could be used to identify a pattern  if an employee was often late on Sunday morning but the same amount each month after payday then they establish a pattern, but if there is a hearing and next steps issued the reduction in frequency of lateness would indicate improvement.

Let's talk form are managerial tools, not discplinary action, but managers don't use them properly.

Now returning to the OP.

Lateness is paid as per page 3 of the policy document.
It's written down and became a term and condition of your employment.
Hold them to it.

valleyboy

@ nomad of course

The below is available on colleague help

What do we define as lateness?
There may be times when a colleague struggles to get to work on time for one reason or another. We define lateness as when a colleague turns up after the start of their scheduled shift or working day.

A colleague won't be classed as late if the reason for their lateness is covered in a pre-existing policy, such as the Time Off Policy; this should be treated and managed as absence.

The time off policy is also available

Hope this helps and prevents colleagues from thinking all lateness is paid

valleyboy

@ horatiocain

There are pages before page 3

Also do you really want to remove the informal approach to misconduct issues?

A let's talk is a positive and complies with the acas codes of practice.

Basically it's an adult conversation recorded on a company document, agreed it doesn't have an expiration date. But really does a behaviour conversation need a expirey date?

Nomad

What could be the reason(s) for not giving it an expiry date ?   ???
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk