News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 03:31AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,429
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 550
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 239
Total: 240

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 10-03-22, 08:32AM
I've heard that a store manager on our group has been tasked with finding and developing talent for management,i wonder if its tescos way of realising alot of managers are leaving and there worried about attracting external managers with the salaries they want to offer,internal promotiond will accept a lower salary most likely

They've done all this before..the senior team in stores that had trouble filling management roles in more remote or less popular stores, were at one time given "head hunter" cards, to give to staff in other retailers, if they thought that person was good at their job! The same when they opened store pharmacies, and went round trying to poach pharmacy staff!

Options, is no longer an option for most instore colleagues now, having seen the way the management responsibility roles have increased, the changes made to Team support T&C's and pay, and the way Options candidates have been used to cover departments at the busiest trading periods, with no extra pay, to then be told they didn't meet the grade, and try again in six months, but are then expected to take on more responsibility, as it's " good for their development " the next time they try for Options.

Tesco have become the victims of their own accepted bullying culture  :-X  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Tescos pay is no longer competitive, even at manager levels compared to the competition, the average Express Store Manager Salary outside of London is £35k a year, Team Managers are on average £25-£26k a year.

Compared to the competition, Co-op pays a higher starter rate for team managers than Tesco, Sainsbury's has a more broad management structure with the top CTM grades paying more than equivalently senior Team Manager roles, the average Sainsbury's convenience SM salary is £38k a year.

The reason why Tesco is having an exodus of managers is because their pay is no longer competitive compared to competitors, heck even some bin men earn more than the average SM, even in Sainsbury's.

Teddybonkers

Quote from: Tesc0Wow on 11-03-22, 01:17AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-03-22, 09:13AM
The problem in Express is that Shift Leaders aren't paid commensurately for the levels of accountability and responsibility pertaining to the role which is why there's a huge acknowledged problem of many Store Managers running duty shifts and not being able to properly fulfil their SM duties.

Until there's a significant uplift in Shift Leader wages this problem isn't going away.

I'm a shift leader in large format. The job is also drastically underpaid in my opinion. For example on a twilight I'm the only member of "management" in the shop for 6 hours. Along with holding duty, locking the store/pfs and alarming it all im running replenishment. It's so much and 12 months ago this was a managers job. Now the exact same role is for me as S/L. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy my job, I have a great team i work with and my store is nice. But twilights especially are very challenging.

What also annoys me is I'm paid the same as Team Support. I've done TS before and this is by no means the same job or anything similar, it's got so much more responsibility  and I also end up dealing with lots of front end stuff as duty such as the desk.

"Good for your development" they'd say haha!

I don't understand why people come on here and continually moan about pay. Everyone knows the money in retail is c**p and you're gonna be exploited, no matter who you work for. Get a proper job if you need proper money. Nowadays, retail only works for students, housewives and the semi retired.

NightAndDay

Nobody is arguing that,everyone knows Retail pay is exploitation, the main gripe everyone has is how the largest Retailer in the UK pays near the bottom compared to the competition, by what you describe your Shift Leader superstore role to entail you can get 33% more as a CTM at Sainsbury's.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Teddybonkers

Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-03-22, 02:01PM
Nobody is arguing that,everyone knows Retail pay is exploitation, the main gripe everyone has is how the largest Retailer in the UK pays near the bottom compared to the competition, by what you describe your Shift Leader superstore role to entail you can get 33% more as a CTM at Sainsbury's.

So 33% of f*** all is still f*** all. OR go to Aldi / Lidl and physically destroy yourself for an extra pound an hour - that sound like a good idea. The difference between the best and worse are pennies - big deal !

RocketRonnie100

I think it's a lot harder than it used to be.

There's far far less headcount now and far less overtime and far less of good people who actually care about the store and the results.

Which result in the shop looking pants the moral being at an all time low, but still "why isn't it done" rings in my ear.

Yet if the area manager is in guess what overtime available and a full bursting at the seams night shift. The whole thing is an absolute joke. When will the powers that be see this. It's not for the customer anymore it's for personal survival and for what? Probably profit.

It's not sustainable end of.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 11-03-22, 03:17PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-03-22, 02:01PM

So 33% of f*** all is still f*** all. OR go to Aldi / Lidl and physically destroy yourself for an extra pound an hour - that sound like a good idea. The difference between the best and worse are pennies - big deal !

For a full time shift leader role compared to a CTM with equivalent responsibilities the difference is about £5-£6k a year, hardly f all.

For CA and lowly roles like that you're right but then again, the majority are either students or people in a stop gap, you're not going to get anyone busting a nut or giving a s*** for near enough minimum wage on part time hours.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Wouldn't bust a nut for Tesco 1 shift or 7 the wages are terrible in retail.  Nights get especially shafted numbers constantly dwindling so the SM can get bonus.

OvaSees

There's a staggering contrast between Tesco and the Soviet Union under Brezhnev - as Soviet workers used to say, "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work."

BUY TESLA STOCK

pretend to work ;D

Last time I was in Tesco the produce workers were running about and the managers were on the cameras making sure everyone is work as per the standard.

madness

I think the gripe from both management and Ga in store is that we stayed open all pandemic. we had record sales ( all food retail)   and yet who are getting inflation busting wage rises. Office workers bankers IT people who took very little personal risk and were all paid to be at home for 3-6 months while we all took the risk ( and it really was a big unknown risk at the time) and now have no real reward on the other side.

RocketRonnie100

Couldn't agree more @madness I think it's left a very bitter taste in our mouths.

Esp as head office also were and might still be "working from home".

Couldntpossiblysay

It sure isn't sustainable. Sainsburys and Asia both reinstated nightshifts so we know it doesn't work. Day and night staff dreading what's coming. Some don't care as long as they get paid others realise what's coming . I'm an old fart so not many years to go but feel for thirty somethings and early forty types if tesco is their main source of income. Will probably take redundancy money which is a years salary and work reduced hours elsewhere and spread my redundancy money over a few years. If folk can't see how capitalism is screwing them over then we're heading to a very bleak future in my honest opinion.

Couldntpossiblysay

by the way it doesn't matter what company you work for stores get theirs looking good for visits. Its a total sham and makes everybody feel good. I've worked for a few retailers and it's the same everywhere.

NightAndDay

All of Retail is s*** with worsening benefits, unless you're a tarnished old hand waiting for the sweet release of redundancy or retirement, your priority should be to jump ship to whichever offers the best pay and work culture.

At the moment they're all s***, but the one that is less s*** than the others is Sainsbury's in my opinion. Or if you can drive, Ocado.

Tesco is currently bottom on pay rates (or at least will be when Icelands pay gets increased next month.)

A look at what everyone's paying.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/17682837/supermarket-wages-ranked-marks-and-spencers-pay-rise/

RocketRonnie100

However the royal visits are a total sham, it's far more exciting when you get a call saying Mr J Tayl9r has just turned up, totally out of the blue and it looks wrecked ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff123

I would like to ask why are the company following a path of sexual discrimination, we are actively promoting females, ethnics, and minority's and holding up white male progression.
The senior management play games and lie at every opportunity all store and lead managers play games they backstab each other and actively undermine each other only to play nice and fake when face to face with each other.
The company is full of dishonest and selfish managers who have agendas and don't know anything about integrity, I'm ashamed of the company.

penguin

Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 12-03-22, 10:55AM
However the royal visits are a total sham, it's far more exciting when you get a call saying Mr J Tayl9r has just turned up, totally out of the blue and it looks wrecked ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D

Those visits were and always will be a joke, we had one of the directors visit back in 2018 should have seen it in the days leading up to said visit loads of overtime to fill and clean the store, people painting stuff and uprooting weeds in the carpark etc. The day of said visit and so many staff in everything working like clockwork, as soon as the director was being driven out of the carpark all the overtime people myself included were basically told to clear off and would any of us consider having time back rather than payment.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

My local Tesco is a bin at 8pm every evening if not well before Iceland is the complete opposite.

FarmerFred

Most of the directors know what goes on with the "announced" visits. I've often had a laugh and joke with directors about how there's always overtime available when there's a visit due, even when the store is miles over budget. On one occasion I discovered a *very senior* executive wandering around the warehouse totally unannounced... ten minutes later word got out & all hell broke loose with managers flying around trying to make things look good!

lucgeo

At one visit, overstock cages were hidden in the cleaners lockups, to portray an empty warehouse...trouble was communicating that the stock was still there in the following weeks!!

After shrink hit the roof, a stockie eventually found them, but promptly got bollocked from the SM for not doing a thorough search!!  Yea mate...the cleaners cupboards weren't even on the shop floor or warehouse!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

One time a tyrannical SM threatened to kill the Area Manager, he even bit the head off the people partner director, he got swiftly removed from the business.

Funnily enough, there are a number of CEOs out there with murder on their criminal record. I think the ability to kill without any remorse is a desirable trait looked for by shareholders to run a company.

BUY TESLA STOCK

This forum sums up Tesco. :thumbup: You wonder how they get anyone working for them. The place is just full of student who don't give a f, middle age people who don't want change, like working with some mates or are ready for retirement. No one has a good word to say. I remember when we were short staffed the night lead pretended once there was Royal visit in the morning.  This soon backfired as all the GAs that were sick and tired left the store a bin hoping the visitor would see the shop for what it was the majority of the time. Like another has said they used to throw money to have people standing around at these visits leaving them over budget as soon as they needed people to do honest overtime and fill an aisle. It was the same pish year after year. No December holidays...........

Couldntpossiblysay

We are being told in our store union still negotiating even though 45 days is up tomorrow. Nightshift told absolutely nothing happening till the end of march. Two months after being told the nightshift was going. The ridiculous Union then claims its looking after the staff. By telling them nothing. You can't make this up. It couldn't have been handled much worse if they tried. Appalling not knowing anything bar gossip and from here. What a great employer tesco is.
N O T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk