News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 06:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 523
Total: 526

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Brightside 24

For stores closing overnight what happens to PI, as they would usually have from 3.30 am to start batch 2/promo ends etc but won't be able to start until 5/6 or whatever time the first manager arrives?

lucgeo

It would probably come under the % of your hours, for buy out or pay protection, I would assume, and your hours moved into the day shifts  ???

Really can't see this working, the cage allocations on aisles will need to be reinstalled, so that's all the OFD's going, but will be a godsend for SC looking to instore missing stock, because a manager's moved it AGAIN!!

Give it six months, and night teams will be reinstated, all with flexi staff on new contracts and no premium rates!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

They won't get rid of night premium, least of all because there are some Expresses that are 24/7 Esso Alliance fuel sites, their contract with Esso means it has to stay open 24/7.

Also these stores make far too much money overnight to warrant shutting shop.

Also in the letter they touted night working as "undesirable" and they were having "significant recruitment challenges" offering flexi contracts for night vacancies with no premiums will just make it even more challenging for them to fill, especially as every competitor offers a premium.

chris9997

what makes getting night staff more difficult is the significant difference in pay  for tesco night and day staff considering what other retailers /industries are paying the £9.55/£11.75 (the £11.55 is the payment per hour 12-6am)is easily obtainable elsewhere for less stressful work.

NightAndDay

Add to this, getting the night manager to stay 2-3 hours past their finish time was endemic, plenty of night managers on 36.5 hour contracts did 50 hours a week as a norm. Getting rid of the entire night operation will be operational suicide. As others have said, it's a matter of when, not if they will be reinstated. The question is how soon will it be that after Tesco gets caught with their trousers down and spanked by the customer that head office concludes that they were hitting the crack pipe a bit too hard when they made the decision.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: chris9997 on 21-02-22, 11:32AM
what makes getting night staff more difficult is the significant difference in pay  for tesco night and day staff considering what other retailers /industries are paying the £9.55/£11.75 (the £11.55 is the payment per hour 12-6am)is easily obtainable elsewhere for less stressful work.

True, it is the amount of companies paying same or more for less stressful work.  Plenty still paying time and a half and double at weekend.  It's the weekend workers that are getting shafted the most.  I know places giving £15-20 for light unskilled labour weekend day shift.  If you are prepared to do nights you can add another 30% again.  Look around! :)

VladPutin

Already starting to see the effects in my store. And it's not pretty. Some zombies have handed in their notice already, before formal consultations have even started. Which has of course resulted in lots of stock being handed over to day shift because nights don't have the staff to work it.

At this rate, they won't have enough zombies left to staff a twilight shift. And that's before we factor in the problems caused by the epic levels of incompetence at the DC's. We received a delivery last night that included a dozen cases with today's display date. 8-)

lordadmiral

Agency workers will fill in all gaps when main crew go. Plenty African imigrants are in need of a job.
Don't be surprised if Tesco will be heavily outsourcing workforce but not sure how it will work.
We have some agency workers who do not speak English much.
And productivity is extremamly low, for example we need to deck (before you go on your own aisle) 3 cages of delivery for tea/coffee, crackers, biscuits for them and they can't fill it.
We will loose BWS (and night lead mgr) and if it will be taken over by agency twilight team then we can expect massive drop in sale.

I am not surprised Tesco want to cut costs for all cost.
In 2015 when i had to step down our store was on average 750k a week.(give a take some 30k)
Todays sale is similar but when i look at the prices today and then then it's obvious that sales by volume is down.

BUY TESLA STOCK

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Sales are down many have gone to discounters nearby or been made redundant at Tesco and decided to go elsewhere.  If you work in the same store all the time you notice even during busy periods you are getting less stock. They may even be making the same turnover but that 750k would've bought you a lot more 10 years ago.

lucgeo

Years ago when there was just a day fill team, they used to have a top up delivery some days, and a top up team, who came in about 4pm to put the delivery out. The shelves were always replenished and the queues for a full bank of checkouts went right down the aisles!!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Iusedtoenjoywork

Im on holiday when my first consultation meeting is likely to be scheduled. What's the process for that? Anyone know?

Hammer10

They are running the company into the ground .

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Iusedtoenjoywork on 22-02-22, 06:32PM
Im on holiday when my first consultation meeting is likely to be scheduled. What's the process for that? Anyone know?

LOL let them have it in your absence supplying you with your redundancy figures.

Why are people handing in notice before redundancy pay.

5fdp

Not everyone gets a good redundancy payment, some might only come out with a couple of grand. They might think its better to get a job thats going right now than wait and take the risk that they may not get a new job for a month or two. Remember they then might be up against everyone else who took redundancy for a job. Everyone is in a different mindset as to whether or not redundancy is for them.

NightAndDay

It'a an employees market right now, it makes good economic sense in most cases to take the money and run, especially if you're near retirement. The only time it doesn't make sense is if you haven't put in enough years or you live in Scotland or the North East where there never are any jobs.

VladPutin

I'm in Scotland. We've had 5 members of night shift put their notice in, and the consultations haven't even started yet.

Senior team in my store are bricking it because there so few zombies left, night shift are handing over shed-loads of stock to be worked by Days. The store looks like a bin every morning now, and things will only get worse.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Worse case you'll get a full time night job in Asda. But if your happy to work weekend don't settle for under £15 an hour. For light labour this is easily obtainable. Tesco is not the hardest but it is not the easiest either. Nowhere is getting better so why not improve your salary.

Hammer10

Tesco deserve all they get nothing but cut backs over past 5 years they think they are doing well because sales are up just think if they had staff who cared because they had full time jobs they would take more money and would give better customer service.people who only have a few hours a week don't care .

NightAndDay

Quote from: TESLA on 23-02-22, 05:20PM
Worse case you'll get a full time night job in Asda. But if your happy to work weekend don't settle for under £15 an hour. For light labour this is easily obtainable. Tesco is not the hardest but it is not the easiest either. Nowhere is getting better so why not improve your salary.

Working a night shift on a Saturday at Tesco used to give just under that, circa £14-£15 (time and a half and better night premium rates for 10pm-midnight) an hour, which at the time is worth a lot more than £15 an hour now.

My current job is light work anyway 37.5 hours a week Mon-Fri, but if I am required to work a weekend, it's always under an overtime arrangement at a rate of £79.62 an hour which is fast becoming worthless due to rampant inflation.

General Thorn

Quote from: Hammer10 on 23-02-22, 05:45PM
Tesco deserve all they get nothing but cut backs over past 5 years they think they are doing well because sales are up just think if they had staff who cared because they had full time jobs they would take more money and would give better customer service.people who only have a few hours a week don't care .
Totally agree Hammer10.

In my store, you hear that a lot "I used to care but not any more" and it's so sad to see good workers' work ethic eroded to such a point. I'm always saying, just think how much more profit this store could make if there were more colleagues in all parts of the store, but then am given a blank look by management. It's not as if any of us are paid a great fortune.

Checkouts have queues forming as there is only one or two open, S/S is not for everybody but also has long queues with only one colleague trying to deal with customers and also manage break cover. No wonder there are so many walkoffs and so much theft as people know we are so stretched.

Fresh has back stock cages unworked as the few colleagues in the morning concentrate on delivery, then leave by 12. There is a huge gap before one person comes in and is expected to work the whole department as the heat map states 'no hours are available for produce in the afternoon/ evenings.' Unworked backstock equates to lots of waste.

The few grocery colleagues come in early evening to bare shelves and then can't manage all the delivery cages so every now and then, there's a call put out for everyone to have overtime on grocery.

Tesco seems to think that no-one shops after 2 in the afternoon and have totally lost their way.

BUY TESLA STOCK

A few late night customers, dotcomers and school kids is enough for the shelfs to be bare well before 2pm awaiting the night crews arrival its only lost custom and increased shrink. Seen better stocked one man bands!

Couldntpossiblysay

Seems to be some discussion on what redundancy payments are based on. Does anybody know if its based on salary or as I've heard last 12 weeks worked. Very confused and frustrated night shiftvin my store.

stockcontroller

When I went through the process during the stock control cull it was your base salary only included within it. No overtime or any flexi hours were included.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Couldntpossiblysay on 27-02-22, 01:39AM
Seems to be some discussion on what redundancy payments are based on. Does anybody know if its based on salary or as I've heard last 12 weeks worked. Very confused and frustrated night shiftvin my store.

Find the vlh redundancy calculator. End of the day you just want what people got previously.

Mb4552

Has anyone heard what is going to happen to PI and merchandising colleagues in stores affected  by the overnight closures. All we are hearing is we don't know anything from the managers, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk