News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 01:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,340
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 139
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 124
Total: 125

Outbreaks

Started by Nomad, 08-09-20, 11:22AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Problem now is that it is impossible to know the truth unless someone leaks something.

I heard of a store where it was rumoured the store manager was having a month off to have some "elective surgery" -

then the story changed to "the manager had Covid"

If that is the case, then surely all the close contacts the manager had prior to their positive test should have been isolating at home? (i.e. most of the senior management team)

in which case, who ran the store in the absence?

The store DM and other managers taking in turn - i.e. seemingly no-one self isolated.

So maybe the story about Covid wasn't true?

But that's what happens isn't it?

We have a board in our store about "how many injuries there were in store in the last 12 months  (staff/customers)" - how about a Covid board?

PC7

Even if stories are leaked they will probably be denied, as the stores couldn't afford to have the number of people who would have been in close contact with the infected person, self-isolating for 14 days, irrespective of the possible health implications which could ensue.

notsofunny

Just found out over the last few days that the reason Managers can't tell you who has the Virus or who is isolating due to coming into contact with someone that has it. 

It's because, GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation. It is a European Union law and replaces the Data Protection Directive.

Only saying this since I think someone was talking about being told who had or has it, That's not to say that staff should not be told without naming the person(s).

I only found out due to talking to a school that had to send a class home and also the teachers in that class, and a factory that had the same problem.

Nomad

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6463678/coronavirus-tesco-dundee-kinsgway-retail-park/

QuoteAn employee at the store revealed that 10 staff members had tested positive and 44 have been forced to self-isolate.

Tesco has confirmed the outbreak, but has not revealed the numbers involved.

If you've been to this store I would recommend a test.  If you're thinking of going to this store perhaps second thoughts are in order.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

helpme

Quote from: notsofunny on 02-12-20, 05:42PM
Just found out over the last few days that the reason Managers can't tell you who has the Virus or who is isolating due to coming into contact with someone that has it. 

It's because, GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation. It is a European Union law and replaces the Data Protection Directive.

Only saying this since I think someone was talking about being told who had or has it, That's not to say that staff should not be told without naming the person(s).

I only found out due to talking to a school that had to send a class home and also the teachers in that class, and a factory that had the same problem.
There are exceptions to the GDPR, one of which is when it concerns public health. "To secure workers health, safety and welfare or to protect others against health and safety risks in connection with (or arising from) someone at work".

Bluemoon

Our store has so many people off with COVID. All being kept quiet of course. 

matt62775

is there any policy about the track and trace app? Loads of people at my store have been getting alerts to self isolate. We have now been told to switch it off when working on a checkout. I get we are behind screens. Just seems very wrong to me

fscer

The app wont pickup people just walking passed a checkout, has to be in close distance for a set time period.

dotnochance

Quote from: matt62775 on 31-12-20, 06:56PM
is there any policy about the track and trace app? Loads of people at my store have been getting alerts to self isolate. We have now been told to switch it off when working on a checkout. I get we are behind screens. Just seems very wrong to me

Ask for the in writing

notsofunny

Quote from: helpme on 30-12-20, 01:03PM
Quote from: notsofunny on 02-12-20, 05:42PM

There are exceptions to the GDPR, one of which is when it concerns public health. "To secure workers health, safety and welfare or to protect others against health and safety risks in connection with (or arising from) someone at work".

I cant find any notes showing that staff have to be told the name of the person or persons that are infected ,nor can I find that the person that has been infected can have his /her rights overruled and his/her information can be given out without concent  giving consent ,

I would find it very strange and alarming that a team leader /step up /depatment head or even a manager had power  to give out any such information ,

And if a School has been told they cant give out the details which gets its instructions from the Government  legal department then Tesco would be in line with them and other companys ,,,,, thats my take on it 

Himynameus

2.22 Many of my team have the Track and Trace App on their mobile phones â€" do they need to keep it switched on when they are working?

If a colleague has their phone with them on the shop-floor, they can leave the App on.

If a colleague leaves their phone in their locker, they should turn the App off until they start carrying their phone on their person.

If a colleague is working behind a screen, for example, on a checkout, the Customer Service Desk, Pharmacy Counter, PFS, they should switch the App off.

dotnochance

They should not turn it off at all within work while carrying it. Your on tills, and a  hypothetical customer has Covid, screen is great till you scan the  products that the infected customer has touched. Don’t let anyone tell you, that you should turn your app off
And before you say the government said if your behind a plexiglass you should turn off the app, they have, but it was advice  for medical staff who have medical grade ppe and proper controlled conditions not some flimsy plexiglass in Tesco that has so many ways for the virus to get round

Tulip

The plexiglass screens might protect us from customers but not against the other members of staff crammed behind the customer service desk and pharmacy where there is no hope of social distancing, at least in my store. Keep it switched on

gomezz

I can understand the justification about not being told who was the identified source of a possible infection.  What I do not understand is why the NHS app does not tell you *where* it was that you have were exposed to the point of being notified to self-isolate.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Pathfinder

I have the app and is on all the time , I had a alert to stay off 10 days and isolate due to being in close contact with someone testing positive,I was told by personal manger oh it's just a possible may have and come to work ...I replied I trust the app more than you. Next day I went for test and results was I was positive for covid. I'd have been in work next day as I was unaware I had it. They just want you in work  they don't care about you or family's so keep it on at all times ....working in express behind tills 4 staff in a tiny space walking past all time to collect cigs and drink . No social distancing .

Nomad

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/coronavirus-outbreak-confirmed-amongst-ashford-4853728
QuoteA Tesco spokesperson said they were working closely with local public health authorities.

He said: “A number of colleagues at our Ashford Crooksfoot Extra store have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days and we are monitoring this closely in line with local increased transmission rates.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/covid-contact-tracing-underway-maryhill-19568256
QuoteTesco bosses confirmed that a "small number" of staff had tested positive for the virus.

Chickens and roost come to mind  8-)

Still get "a number" or "small number" and we've no idea what those phrases mean in actual numbers.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/staff-at-tesco-in-elgin-test-positive-for-coronavirus-223761/

QuoteA Tesco spokesperson said: “A very small number of colleagues at our Elgin Extra store have tested positive for covid-19.

A "number" or "small number"  may have been alarmist so they've gone to "very small number"  8-)

What's next a "microscopic number"  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

lol store not far way.... has a lot of people off
Just read that article about elgin "regular cleaning" thats a f****ng lie, there is no extra cleaning being down as i spoke to someone in that store and mine hasn't does any cleaning "out with normal cleaners job) in months

NightAndDay

I thought It was just Express and Metro formats that done away with cleaners, as far as I'm aware Superstore formats still have theirs.

dotnochance

They do still have them! but tesco are trying to imply that they are doing extra cleaning for covid. All they are doing is normal cleaning in morning and 1 cleaner in rest of day who does spillages/customer toilets and bins. First month or so they had staff out cleaning everything, i mean f*** me trollies haven't been cleaned in months

Welshie

We have someone  about 6-8hrs a day collects and cleans our trollies. 

gomezz

I was asked this week if I would like to do an overtime shift at an adjacent store as a dot com driver.  Something I have done several times in the past but really got knocked on the head when the company had to rejig drivers shifts to make them properly WTD compliant a year or two back.

My instinctive answer was definitely not as I was not familiar with how well that store was doing on observing Covid safety guideline but I am familiar with the area it covers some of which I would consider much higher risk than what my store covers.  On top of which *why* were they needing drivers from outside their own store?  Smelled distinctly whiffy.  :(
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

Quote from: Welshie on 07-01-21, 05:27PM
Wtf so it seems my store just gave up 6 months ago then

Nomad

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-extra-superstore-hit-covid-23281828

QuoteRetail giant Tesco has confirmed a coronavirus outbreak at a Tesco Extra superstore in Cardiff despite 'protective screens at every checkout, social distancing signage and regular cleaning'

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/kilmarnock-tesco-staff-test-positive-23283439
QuoteThe document, leaked to the Kilmarnock Standard reads: "We have four colleagues in self isolation at the moment and we have received conformation that four colleagues from this store has [sic] tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus). I would ask you to keep this information confidential at this stage â€" it is very important.
Hush hush  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tempworker2020

Quote from: dotnochance on 07-01-21, 09:23PM
Quote from: Welshie on 07-01-21, 05:27PM
Wtf so it seems my store just gave up 6 months ago then

Yea most of the stores got rid of trolly cleaning are the covid temps had left. My understanding is most stores when grossly over hours. The store I was in along with the 'sister' stores were letting people come and go as they wanted for overtime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk