News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:22AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

Food safety

Started by Nomad, 12-06-20, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2020/06/tescos-chicken-campylobacter-results-above-fsa-target/

QuoteThe mega-supermarket chain Tesco has reported 9 percent of chickens tested in the first quarter this year had the highest level of Campylobacter contamination.

This is above the Food Standards Agency (FSA) target of 7 percent and Tesco’s own benchmark of 5 percent of birds with more than 1,000 colony forming units per gram (cfu/g) of Campylobacter.

Tesco data shows 9 percent of 132 samples from January to March had the top level of contamination. It is double the percentage reported in the previous quarter.

Oh dear, very nasty.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

notsofunny

I have a friend that is Vegan and feeds her cats with chicken  without washing it so this could be one reason why they get sick ,, Wonder if chlorinated chicken from the US would solve the problem  :-\

Nomad

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/tesco-asda-shoppers-furious-over-19522877

QuoteA number of shoppers have been left furious after turkeys they bought from Asda and Tesco turned out to be ‘rotten’ and ‘rancid’.

Some customers claimed their Christmas was ‘ruined’ by the products.

Taking to Twitter, shoppers said that upon unwrapping their turkeys over the Christmas period, they discovered the festive birds were “inedible”.

Broken cold chain  :question:

To much stock not enough fridge/freezer capacity = rancid turkeys.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

Lol or nightshift take cages out and leave them out for hours

Nomad

Looking at the number of news links I have got from local media in many parts of the country these rotten turkeys have been a not uncommon scenario in many areas.

In fact I would not call it a "small number",  as well as refunds there should be considerable compensation for ruining a families or individuals Christmas celebration.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dirty-donkey

Does this not get reported in the press every year? I seen to remember last year at least.
Anyway, cold-chain issues raised yet again - as per VHL Poll. Read the stats +80%regularly observe this happening, I know I do. EVERY NIGHT!
Tried bringing it up, waste of time, not interested..

chris9997

Cold chain issues : Every supermarket appears to do it even some bring out whole pallets of fresh and frozen on to the shop floor to be worked by one person, the reality is that the supermarkets do not give the manpower to keep to the cold chain, i also doubt the local councils whold be that bothered about dealing with the issues to do with the cold chain .
When we were due audit we were informed before hand and for a short time kept to the times until they had left , and now the company no longer appears to employ these overnight audits. I suspect the overall picure of the rancid turkeys is more likely to have got rancid after it has left the store as there seems to be a small % effected in the millions that are sold.

NightAndDay

This has only hit media headlines due to the product and time of year, fresh and frozen turkeys would be bought more than any other chilled or frozen product in a week period of the year, more customers buying turkeys in a short period of time frame means a higher chance that there's a higher amount of rancid/rotten turkeys reported in short timeframes due to poor cold chain practices.

This isn't to say that this doesn't happen with other similar products throughout the year, just the incident rate is more sporadic and happens over a greater length of time. The reality is that it's not a good thing for the government and FSA to be so lackadaisical about cold chain practices, we pay taxes for the government and their bodies to do a job.

chris9997

The point is in most the stores if the chilled products are left out around the dairy dept
With a lot of cold air circulating around the dept there is a possibility the stock is being kept in the cold chain, the only way of telling is to take a temp check with a temp gun of the general area , just sticking a probe into a cage really tells you very tittle. Just because a cage is out of the chiller means nothing.

penguin

While I can accept some Turkeys do go bad I feel a number of people simply abuse the system to get a freebie, we used to have one bloke in every Boxing Day 10am like clockwork complaining his Turkey was rotten and how Christmas was wrecked etc, the turkey was in the bin he would refuse to bring it back saying he did not want it in his car making a smell, every year full refund and a gesture of goodwill.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

Chicken strikes again  :(

Disgusting images show Tesco chicken with stomach full of feed

QuoteA TESCO customer was left "horrified" after she had to pull the stomach from the inside of a chicken – which still had feed inside it.

Karen Bennett was cooking a Sunday roast when she was shocked to find the chicken still had its stomach left inside – filled with seeds, straw and sawdust.

Did not know they were rewarding their customers with chicken feed as well as employees.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Bacons

Nomad

Tesco has been revealed as the worst supermarket for UK food safety, according to a report by Essential Living.

QuoteThe chain also had the highest number of food poisoning reports, including reports of food poisoning from quiches and wraps, and even diarrhea-inducing Doritos.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco shopper 'shaken' to find that some of the supermarket's fruit isn't vegan

QuoteA Tesco shopper was left 'shaken' after she found out a coating meant that some of Tesco's fruit isn't suitable for vegans or vegetarians.

After reading the label on certain packs of oranges, satsumas and mandarins, she was shocked to see them labelled as non vegan both on the label and online.

A 'safety' issue for this customer, and probably many more.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

whatajoke2019

I wonder if those are the oranges that come in looking like it's taken the shine from a certain furniture polish character  :D (they certainly smell like it!)

gomezz

Do they eat the peel then?   ???
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

Yes, some people grate the peel for cooking etc.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

gomezz

What about the animal based nutrients in the soil were the trees grow?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

https://propermanchester.com/trending/tesco-shopper-baffled-to-discover-some-fruit-isnt-suitable-for-vegans/

QuoteWhile the fruit is obviously vegan, the reason for the non-vegan label lays with the pesticides and chemicals used to make the fruit grow and look better.

Imazalil – banned in all but tiny amounts – is the common non-vegan item used by growers on their fruit and veg. The E904 version of the chemical, as it will be shown on any label, is a wax made of shellac.

Vegans don't eat shellac as it comes from animals and therefore isn't part of a plant based diet.

The added chemical also drew attention to the hazardous pesticide Propiconazole, which is banned apart from tiny amounts by the EU thanks to its cancer increasing qualities. However, now that the UK has left Europe, Propiconazole is no longer regulated as harshly and is being used as a pesticide on fruit and veg.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk