News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:14PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 283
Total: 289

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

They've been using Middlewich for a while. A post brexit storage place was the first reason

blackberry

Quote from: grim up north on 04-05-20, 01:45PM
They've been using Middlewich for a while. A post brexit storage place was the first reason

Even more nostalgic! I remember when they shut it, I think it must have been a World Cup year or something as every store had pallet loads of beer due out when it shut. We were getting deliveries from Livingston and Magor as everywhere was in chaos. I remember h and b deliveries turning up in transit vans!

Best wishes

Pochin123

B&M are currently in the old Middlewich depot, however they are vacating it by the end of the year. XPO logistics  are rumoured to be taking it over.
Has This Been Briefed Out??

Nomad

Tesco branded ‘irresponsible’ for half price clothing sale during lockdown

QuoteJames Donovan, whose mother works for Tesco and has been continuing to put herself at risk to serve customers during the pandemic, contacted the supermarket on Twitter and questioned why a clothing sale had been scheduled at this time. ‘Is now the time to be trying to drive footfall?’ he asked.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

Have to say, I went to the next town big ASDA for my weekly shop this week, and they also had a clothing sale. Weren't many people in the clothing aisles though! But you can go online for clothing sale with ASDA. The new season clothes start coming out late July, and as lockdown could be not much before this, if at all, then the summer stuff just ain't shifting, and I now have all the clothes I ordered in preparation for our booked 2 weeks holiday abroad beginning of September, which I've just cancelled! 

£120 lost, but I wasn't willing to leave it till later, as most holiday companies are acting illegally by not refunding their cancellations, but offering credit notes, which could prove worthless if they go broke! Hmm....they didn't agree to my request of a credit note for my deposit, to use at a later date though?? They " can't do that, it's all in their T&C's" apparently  ???

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

More Brits ditch Tesco than any other supermarket in lockdown - where they shop now

QuoteAnd new figures, compiled for Mirror Money, show that more people have stopped shopping at Tesco than anywhere else.

Some 28% of people said they have stopped visiting the chain since restrictions came into force - representing almost half the people who said they used to shop there before.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Hammer10

So why are we taking more money than before lockdown is it because they did not ask the right question,most are doing it online.or click and collect.

lucgeo

Before, people tended to shop at different stores during the week, picking up bits here and there, favouring some other retail outlets offering favourite products cheaper, such as Homebargains, for household goods etc...

Now they tend to do one big shop per week, getting all their weekly supplies in one hit,so yes Tesco will pickup on these items, to the shoppers who still shop with them. But others have gone to the rival supermarkets and food outlets, mainly based on price comparisons.

Before the lockdown, I would frequent many stores to get supplies, now with queuing for each store, time restraints, a deadly virus etc...I only shop at one store, once a week. Only for convenience do I use Tesco, as their prices are certainly not competetive, and with the offers, off the table for now, they are quite expensive. In comparison, I shopped at the neighbouring towns ASDA this week, the price difference was notable on my usual products, and we're not talking 1or 2P's here. I noted on just three usual produce items, the saving was £1.50.  :o

just curious

Quote from: Hammer10 on 08-05-20, 10:19AM
So why are we taking more money than before lockdown is it because they did not ask the right question,most are doing it online.or click and collect.

Your taking same money because the remaining customers are being ripped off on prices , Paracetamol for example was around 30p per pack before the Coroner Virus - it then went up to 50p per pack , and has now gone up to 70p plus per pack , cream buns were two packs for two quid - now there £1.60 per single pack pack , just two examples of being ripped off. I just get what is on sale at right price or leave it on the shelf , As i have said many times the other shops are cheaper than Tosco even after staff discount for those that have the discount card . So yes money wise takings may be the same but are the volumes of product movement the same ? , as for the waiting outside in a que to get in , i have noticed that the ques are shorter as well and it is quicker to get in the store - so are people shopping else where ? , i thinks yes people have voted with there feet . Cant wait for the half year results see if there's any profit or a loss due to the temporary staff they have had to hire and the cost of the extra security , safety screens , increased advertising budget increased cost in dot com delivery services which is not profitable to start with , also the redundancy payouts they have to give the affected bakers and any other additional cost they may have incurred due to the Coroner Virus . Could be a black hole in the trading statement regardless of Turnover figures ?. Still Drastic Dave will not be bothered , he will still be off with his golden handshake regardless - Leaving the next person to pick up the pieces . He has only sold the Malaysian / Thailand side of the business to prop up the accounts - help make them look good and to ensure there's some money in the bank for his payout / handshake .

chris9997

Paracetamol is now £1.25 (paid 75p couple of days ago)

fatboy

75p in our store ???

BlueToon

Most of the ingredients for paracetamol (app 70%) are made in china.
India is one of the worlds largest producers of the drug and gets it's supplies mainly from them.
Both are having major problems since the pandemic began.
Taking that into account, is it any surprise that the prices are no longer the same as all sellers are having to get them from other places?

lucgeo

45p per pack 16...Homebargains, and the shelf was full!

just curious

Previously they were 39p in Homebargains , The six pence price rise to 45p is a reasonable price increase .

Tosco put there's up from 35p to 50p a pack , A massive price increase , then not being satisfied with that they got even greedier and put them up to 75p per pack . Profiteering or what ? :-X :-X .

alf

Are you comparing like for like, same tablet size, same tablet amount, same brand, same "extras".

For example we have tesco ibuprofen for 55p, same tablet size/amount but with caffeine and fancier packaging is 2 quid. And obviously name brands charge an additional premium.

And on the subject of brand, the paracetamol at 75p, at least in this store, are non-tesco, (bells healthcare) so it's likely they're pushing the price up as supply issues take affect.

But If you want to see profiteering, google bells paracetamol, 16 going for upwards of 2 quid, and someone sold a pack on ebay for £9.50..

Nomad

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/13/tesco-chief-executive-handed-642m-pay-package-dave-lewis

QuoteTesco’s chief executive has been handed a £6.42m pay package, the biggest annual haul for an executive at the supermarket since the departure of Sir Terry Leahy nearly a decade ago.

Dave Lewis’s total pay rose by more than a third last year, thanks to a leap in annual and long-term bonus payouts.

Nice, for some.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Hammer10

This is disgusting how can it be right one person gets so much when the underlings get peanuts I know he is in charge but it is totally wrong and greedy.

Nomad

In this country at this time of crisis a 99 year young man raises £30+ million for the NHS etc,  and one man is handed £6+ million.

>:(  >:(  >:(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

OvaSees

Hear hear Nomad. To put it another way, he just pocketed approximately £83 for every job he cut during his tenure. He may well have done a job to it’s literal prescription, but the cost of doing so is morally deplorable.

lucgeo

I heard he's refused it...and donated it to the NHS and only been taking half his salary since the pandemic started  :thumbup:  oh!! Wake..wake..wake..and I'm back in the room  :D

Think it was Gary lineker who asked in a TV interview, when footballers were being criticised for not donating part of their salaries, why they were being singled out when company C.E.O.'s were not being questioned about the masses they were earning and were they donating their bonus ???  Does that answer your question Gary :-X

Not a fan of Victoria Becham, but she took some stick...think R' Dave should be highlighted with his snotty snout in the trough! The greedy barstool  >:(

Nomad

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/16/business/16reuters-tesco-malaysia-workers.html

QuoteKUALA LUMPUR â€" U.K.-based multinational groceries chain Tesco PLC has found abuses against migrant workers at its stores and distribution centres in Malaysia and Thailand....
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco employee reveals 'demoralising' working conditions during Covid-19 outbreak

QuoteSince the outbreak started, supermarket employees have been working exceptionally hard to ensure all the shelves are stocked and that our shopping experiences are as easy as they can be.

But this demanding work is now starting to take its toll and some employees are growing unhappy with the present working conditions.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

Quote from: just curious on 12-05-20, 05:00PM
Previously they were 39p in Homebargains , The six pence price rise to 45p is a reasonable price increase .
Tosco put there's up from 35p to 50p a pack , A massive price increase , then not being satisfied with that they got even greedier and put them up to 75p per pack . Profiteering or what ? :-X :-X .

Ok went to Aldi yesterday for weekly shop...Tesco's continuous lack of adhering to social distancing and constant price hikes are p**s taking now!
Luckily I still had my previous week Tesco receipt.

Just to highligt a couple of similar products...
Bell's healthcare 16 500mg caplets...Tesco 75p...Galphram 16 500mg caplets...Aldi 29p
Blue dragon Stir fry sauce 120g...Tesco 70p...Asia same flavour stir fry flavour sauce 120g...Aldi 29p
Own brand Garlic and cheese stuffed mushrooms pack of two...Tesco £2...Aldi £1.29
Own brand 6 x 20g pack lentil curls....Tesco 85p.....Aldi 72p
Own brand 4x fresh beef quarter pounders...Tesco £2.50...Aldi £1.99

There were other a few pennies difference in Aldi's favour...but these few stood out as they're regular buys, just shows how much savings on only a few items :-X

Austinpowers

Quote from: alf on 12-05-20, 05:58PM
Are you comparing like for like, same tablet size, same tablet amount, same brand, same "extras".

For example we have tesco ibuprofen for 55p, same tablet size/amount but with caffeine and fancier packaging is 2 quid. And obviously name brands charge an additional premium.

And on the subject of brand, the paracetamol at 75p, at least in this store, are non-tesco, (bells healthcare) so it's likely they're pushing the price up as supply issues take affect.

But If you want to see profiteering, google bells paracetamol, 16 going for upwards of 2 quid, and someone sold a pack on ebay for £9.50..

How you do you know whats happening at supply chain level. Price increases are not taken lightly and can be due to a range of things from suppliers changing ingredients, supply issues or you know just a global pandemic where every company is trying to buy more and hiking up the price.. Maybe stick to filling shelves or sitting in the admin office

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk