News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: Cinderella on 08-03-21, 12:36PM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 08-03-21, 10:14AM
Quote from: Cinderella on 08-03-21, 09:59AM
They are all getting another role, and I've been told they will basically act like duty managers. "Running the shop, but not involved in any department" is exactly what I've been told.

The new Service Support will also deal with customer complaints, cash office and so on. It's becoming a massive role.

Looks like they are planning to do away with managers and have Service Support eventually running things on the lower level of pay.

I don't like the sound of Team Support basically getting promoted to Duty Manager level without the jobs being listed as new roles. Seems unfair.

It's the previous department managers who will be acting as duty managers, not TS. The Team Support will be doing all the duties of the department managers, except with more departments combined. It looks like only one is taking the offer in my store, so it will be opened up for applications.

I'm very confused.

So will all of team support get kept on just given a new job title and extra duties?

This will cause a s*** storm at my store as its a hornets nest.

Buster99

Quote from: Nomansland on 08-03-21, 12:41PM
Interested to hear from any current picking team supports who have turned down new role. On paper it looks like much the same job apart from new starter reviews, welcome backs and note taking. It doesn't now include any picking or turnaround, which it did before. Am I missing something?

Yeah they will be doing both sides driver team support role and picked side and manager roles for the same pay and having to change all there shifts from just mornings to mornings and late nights all for the same pay,

Buster99

Quote from: fatboy on 08-03-21, 09:43AM
Buster99, where did he get the info regarding a 3% payrise in June? As far as I'm aware the pay negotiations for this year are still ongoing.

Not sure to be honest that's what he said in my 1 to 1, I mean this could all be made up as far as it goes cos I haven't received one letter or anything official to say I'm getting demoted and losing nearly £3 an hour to go back driving, I mean I can't appeal or complain to anyone as Iv just gone off what my store manager has said to me,

fatboy

Is the dotcom manager roll going?

NightAndDay

It sounds like there's several important legal requirements missing from the whole process, it sounds like your SM knows full well the legal requirements for a job change to occur either through demotion or redundancy, if your job change is a result of demotion, your line or lead manager must have been seen to support and document your performance through the SYP process and coaching, to not do so and force your demotion would be out of process and worthy of being grievanced, similarly, if it's through your role no longer being their due to obsolescence, you must be brought through the consultation process.

By the sounds of it, neither of these things have happened, which is to be expected, 90% of Tesco Managers belong on horseback in the wild west.

beentheredoneit

Quote from: Wirey2020 on 07-03-21, 12:43PM
On 11th April we have to sign a contract which changes our job title to a generic one...another words, from 12th April you can be moved from managing stock control to checkout and vica virsa!!
People need to understand is that there is no 'have to' about this, as it is a 'soft change' - i.e. everything has to be by mutual agreement.
There is an option to not agree to the changes, to not sign a new contract.
You thereby become a 'stuck' manager. You carry on doing the job you are doing now until such as a time that YOU decide to either accept the changes or leave (or they do the 'right' thing and offer redundancy).
This is the situation many 'stuck' stock managers have been in for over two years; and other managers from last years 'soft changes'.
You have to decide what is best for you; depending on your age, circumstances and future plans. Do not be bullied into anything you do not want.
beentheredoneit

Nomansland

Quote from: Buster99 on 08-03-21, 02:10PM
Interested to hear from any current picking team supports who have turned down new role. On paper it looks like much the same job apart from new starter reviews, welcome backs and note taking. It doesn't now include any picking or turnaround, which it did before. Am I missing something?

Yeah they will be doing both sides driver team support role and picked side and manager roles for the same pay and having to change all there shifts from just mornings to mornings and late nights all for the same pay,

Thank you - no structure for driving team support in my store so I have always done both anyway. Was told my hours wouldn't change - but now you've said that that's something I need to be aware of and get in writing I think. Thanks for your help :)

NightAndDay

Legally speaking, the purported "soft structure" change comprising only of a change in job title to team manager so it's generic rather than specific is disingenuous as it entails a material change to your responsibilities and accountabilities, the prospect of being moved around fulfilling managerial duties that used to be the domain of a specific department manager does count as a material change to the role and would therefore count as the previous role being removed and it not being reasonable to assume the new job role in light of the increase is demands.

With this being the case, I'm fairly sure USDAWs legal plus service or an employment law firm would be able to build a strong case for what looks legally to be a redundancy situation.

Albert

Any small superstore checkout team support had their one to one?
Will they still be expected to run checkouts...tablet, overtime, exceptions etc...but on a ga wage? What about customer service staff (or combined kiosk staff) will they still be getting the premium?

Stubbo

Quote from: JPW on 08-03-21, 12:06PM
Quote from: Stubbo on 08-03-21, 09:12AM
Quote from: JPW on 07-03-21, 11:15PM
I%u2019m a picking team support, I was told by my store manager that I could opt for a lump sum or payment protection for 18 months if I chose not to take the role (our store was shrunk from 6 to 3 and no one took up the shift leader positions). I am going back to being a picker and as far as I am concerned my pay will not be changing from my current TS rate.
Your pay will drop to ca rate and not stay the same. That's why they offer a balloon payment or protected pay for 18 months.

So what is protected pay  then? I was made to feel like I would be still paid at my current team support rate for the hours I will be doing after the job role change?

18 months of protected pay then drop to ca rate or 18 months worth of the difference paid in one go, then straight to ca rate

Dodo44

So, where does this leave signed off, un-appointed managers then? I guess we'll be stuck in our role for years now until a gold dust management vacancy comes up, if it ever does. Is there a time frame in which your sign off would "expire" or because of the nature of it, I could apply for a vacancy as and when it appears over years to come?.. (once all "displaced" managers have had their moves/dibs)

filling-machine

Company have made some strange decisions that show a lack of understanding of size / complexity of roles. Some Cat C / D Superstore nightshifts change from 1 Lead / 2 team to 3 team managers. Yet Cat A extras dropping to as little as 1 Lead / 2 TM. So both structures have 3 managers yet sales up to 3 times higher and headcount over double. In addition, if Extra Lead manager sticks to their job description, the responsibities falling to just 2 TMs will be colossal.

rogerthedodger

I think what is clear is Tesco has massively underestimated the complexity of Dotcom and the
Knowledge and skill they are loosing with these bizzare cuts? Now would have been the time to invest given the extra Customers we have acquired?
Instead we will probably lose many Team Supports from Picking and Driving and soon numerous Managers.
Wish everyone going though this much luck. After the last 12 months it's a terrible slap in the face

fatboy

Is the dotcom manager role going?

William91

Do we know if Checkout TS will be offered the same as Dotcom if they choose to step down?

lackofinterest

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 08-03-21, 11:06AM
Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 08-03-21, 10:58AM
Tesco is doing us dirty!

It's time for strike action.

Thing is, I doubt many floor GA staff would go on strike just so the Team Leaders can keep their £2 extra.

Sad but true,
i would. if they are allowed to get away with this without a fight then we're all f***ed in the future. i strongly advise all team support to step down otherwise in my opinion they will regret it. they want their cake and eat it. f*** em. step down

Dotcomts

I haven't turned the new role as of yet but principally why should anyone rebrand themself & now pick up managerial tasks for the same pay? You get more money delivering mail for the royal mail.

We haven't the infrastructure in place at our place to support the upcoming launch of click & collect, we've massively outgrown the size of our department already storing shopping outside in the open & in containers. With the launch of click & collect it gets even more ridiculous, it's the qudini type where by one is supposed to sack barrow shopping across a shop floor & out into the car park multiple times a day!

So thinking about it, it's a get of jail free card as it's an easy life to go back driving Vs the extra stress & responsibilitys of now doing twice the work without the correct resources.

newguy20

I was told by doctom manager they are trying to expand click and collect to the express stores. For example, customer can order a click and collect order which is picked at their local Extra and then a van drops it off at their express, they then pick it up on the way home from work etc... more work for everybody, wonder if there'd be more resources to suit...

Rodders

Quote from: Dotcomts on 08-03-21, 08:27PM

I haven't turned the new role as of yet but principally why should anyone rebrand themself & now pick up managerial tasks for the same pay? You get more money delivering mail for the royal mail.

We haven't the infrastructure in place at our place to support the upcoming launch of click & collect, we've massively outgrown the size of our department already storing shopping outside in the open & in containers. With the launch of click & collect it gets even more ridiculous, it's the qudini type where by one is supposed to sack barrow shopping across a shop floor & out into the car park multiple times a day!

So thinking about it, it's a get of jail free card as it's an easy life to go back driving Vs the extra stress & responsibilitys of now doing twice the work without the correct resources.

That is the reason myself and the other Driver Team Support have said No.

helpme

All our DotCom TS are turning down the new position. They've run the department for years while the lead manager took all the plaudits (and a nice fat bonus) and did as little as possible. She's told them that they will still be required to help run the department even with stepping down and the TS who's a rep has told her the first time she tries that they will put in a collective grievance to head office which hasn't gone down well. They are all taking the lump sum as then if they find something elsewhere or decide to retire they will gain a little in their pocket.

penguin

Quote from: newguy20 on 08-03-21, 08:53PM
I was told by doctom manager they are trying to expand click and collect to the express stores. For example, customer can order a click and collect order which is picked at their local Extra and then a van drops it off at their express, they then pick it up on the way home from work etc... more work for everybody, wonder if there'd be more resources to suit...

They were on about doing a trial of this early last year within a couple of stores but it never happens due to the pandemic and the panic buying etc etc
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Morris999

Quote from: helpme on 08-03-21, 09:50PM
They are all taking the lump sum as then if they find something elsewhere or decide to retire they will gain a little in their pocket.

Be careful about that, as I'm certain if they leave before the 18 months are up, then Tesco will claim the remaining months back of the colleagues.

Cinderella

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 08-03-21, 01:00PM
Quote from: Cinderella on 08-03-21, 12:36PM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 08-03-21, 10:14AM
Quote from: Cinderella on 08-03-21, 09:59AM
They are all getting another role, and I've been told they will basically act like duty managers. "Running the shop, but not involved in any department" is exactly what I've been told.

The new Service Support will also deal with customer complaints, cash office and so on. It's becoming a massive role.

Looks like they are planning to do away with managers and have Service Support eventually running things on the lower level of pay.

I don't like the sound of Team Support basically getting promoted to Duty Manager level without the jobs being listed as new roles. Seems unfair.

It's the previous department managers who will be acting as duty managers, not TS. The Team Support will be doing all the duties of the department managers, except with more departments combined. It looks like only one is taking the offer in my store, so it will be opened up for applications.

I'm very confused.

So will all of team support get kept on just given a new job title and extra duties?

This will cause a s*** storm at my store as its a hornets nest.

Yes, precisely. A lot of extra duties. The headcount TS will have to manage in my store has soared to over 100!

Cinderella

Quote from: Morris999 on 08-03-21, 10:51PM
Quote from: helpme on 08-03-21, 09:50PM
They are all taking the lump sum as then if they find something elsewhere or decide to retire they will gain a little in their pocket.

Be careful about that, as I'm certain if they leave before the 18 months are up, then Tesco will claim the remaining months back of the colleagues.

I actually asked my store manager about that today. He said if I took the lump sum and left, I wouldn't owe them anything. He also said if I took the two years protected payments and left, i would lose out on what was remaining if I left. He also advised that the lump sum is the better option, as he mentioned future pay increases taking up a portion of what I would have been getting, whereas with the lump sum I would get it all

Welshie

Please remember if you go for this option and you have a student loan , it will make a big difference in what you receive in your bank .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk