News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:01PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 291
Total: 293

Disciplinary Meeting

Started by tempo35, 29-04-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alf

That's not the point really, you do not get to reschedule your shifts as you see  fit.

Honestly, pick your battles, and stop doing stupid s*** that puts a target on your back.

penguin

You really cannot just go in and start early and therefore finish early just because you think its the right thing to do, rotas are done for a reason and I know this wont go down well but your manager regardless of the issues with you both was fully correct to issue a lets talk over this, stores would end up in chaos if people start turning up and going home whenever they see fit.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Tinkerbell1234

But its ok for staff not to have their breaks and go home early when someone is in fear of going to work and did not want any hassel i went in to make sure i would be safe i did not do any extra its not as tho i do it regular first time normally i would of not worried but due to constant bullying and being victimised since i got sanctioned which proves trying to get me out by doing lets talk really is a joke.

Tinkerbell1234

By the way did not affect store in any way as all was done and fully staffed should say that to the staff that actually finish early ibstead of having their breaks dont see them getting a lets talk  maybe i should do the same oh i cant i get a lets talk

TheAnonymousWorker

Are we entitled to see any evidence against a colleague before a meeting, or see it during a meeting then allowed to step out to discuss?

Also, if a colleague has (not anonymously) reported another colleague, before final action can be taken, does the reporting colleagues identity have to be revealed?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 01-06-20, 03:29PM
By the way did not affect store in any way as all was done and fully staffed should say that to the staff that actually finish early ibstead of having their breaks dont see them getting a lets talk  maybe i should do the same oh i cant i get a lets talk

Depending on the culture in your store, if on middle shifts the SM may allow autonomous flexibility, it's very much a case of, if others do it and aren't reprimanded, you can't be treated any differently. Again though, this is culture and context dependent.

Tinkerbell1234

Should be same rule for everyone to follow the rota i have always done it even doing late to early or doing double shifts thats ok im not breaking tesco rules i went in at 7 instead of 9 and its a crime really managers need to stop being bullies and focus on what is important then trying to bully people i have prove of false allegations and during my appeal another lie was spotted by the appeal manager so do i derseve to get s lets talk for breathing and to keep me in a room with anxiety is discrimmination i though adjustment passport is to support me in my work place see what tesco have to say

Redshoes

So, as no overtime used you started two hours early so therefore finished two hours early. I understand why you said you did this but I don't understand why you think this might be acceptable. I am sure that many of us would like to do this and can find reasons that it would be a good thing.

Tinkerbell1234

Because i am being bullied and wanted to make sure before he come in all was ok why is it such a big issue no one understand what i am going through so no point in trying to explain its not much about the lets talk I've spoken to another manager and they agree it pathetic my main thing is i have anxiety and forced to stay in a room when clearly can see i was getting very anxious he did not follow the adjustment plan and caused me more stress no one should be bullied in the work place

penguin

It is a big issue because people cannot go around moving there shifts as they see fit, regardless of the reason why and as a shift leader you should be setting an example, and the example you set here was its ok to come in and go early, issues with anxiety are totally separate from this, the fact is you moved your shift without prior approval and have been given a lets talk and I know it will not be a popular view on here but the managers actions were totally correct on that one. Regarding anxiety I would agree you should be allowed to leave a room or meeting if your becoming distressed in order to take some time out but as harsh as it seems at some point or another the meeting will have to be concluded, be that in half an hours time, the following day or the following week, reasonable adjustments are one thing, simply refusing to take part in a meeting full stop is not a reasonable adjustment.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Tinkerbell1234

You dont have a clue  your just assuming end of discussion where does it state i refuse the meeting i needed time to breath also what happened to finding out the reason why i did because then maybe would understand but no not bothered about it managers think its fun to go round bullying people  unless you know dont assume

Morris999

Bubbles1234,
While everyone understands it’s a difficult, emotional and stressful time for you, you need to start separating all the issues you feel are happening.

The let’s talk for changing your shift without consulting anyone was perfectly justified, and no People partner will side with you on that and overturn it.

I will be honest it’s difficult to follow some of your posts without any grammar and punctuation in them, however that being said there seems to be certain issues you keep mentioning.

So you changing your shift without consulting anyone or getting permission.
Now you said the reason why you did it and that the store was all covered.
Now what if there was sickness/domestic for the hours that you were meant to be there, what if the shop then had to shut because you decided to move your hours, who do you think would get the let’s talk/investigation then?
You said your in an express store I believe, we all know how difficult they are and how difficult it is to get break cover, yet again you changed your shift, with no thought about your evening colleagues.
Luckily nothing bad happened in your store that evening however if it had, I can assure you a let’s talk would have been the least of your worries, and you would have been invited to an investigation, most likely followed by a disciplinary.

Other colleagues not taking breaks and going early, is this your old store or new?
Has this been agreed by their store manager?
Is it because there is no break cover?
Could be many different reasons for this, but without knowing full details, it’s difficult to say either way as the company recognise in express that break cover is an issue and has put policies/procedures in place to manage it.

There’s other things you’ve posted too, but I cannot tell if they are from your previous investigation/store or have happened since you moved to the new store.

Now you being forced to stay in the room against your will, unless you are being detained for suspected theft, while the police are on route, is a massive no no, and should never have happened.
That is the one thing that you can definitely put a complaint in for, and as you have a witness should easily win.

What you need to be careful of is throwing lots of different issues in the mix that either are not issues, your fault(regardless of intentions of fillings) and stick to the ones that you can prove, are against your support/adjustment plans, against company policy and employment law.

Welshie

Very well put Morris999 , I couldnt keep track of which store issues were in either .

Redshoes

What is clear is that you are overwhelmed and stressed. You are making bad choices, could it be because of this? I have never worked in an express store but I hear that they are hard, being a shift leader is tough. To add to that being in conflict with your manager won't help. Not doing anything to add to all of this and give ammunition to your manager is vital. Don't change your shift without agreement, you need to remove as much of the conflict as possible.
If your manager is a bully that is unacceptable and needs to be stopped and manager investigated but if your manager is frustrated and cross because you have changed your shift without consultation it is a matter of if they have followed procedure.
Your role is stressful and hard. That is acknowledged, it will be harder if your store is not working as a team. Your manager has the right to manage the situation but they have to do it correctly. The same applies to you as shift leader and how you manage colleagues in the store. Being a bully is not allowed but letting someone know that they have not acted correctly is part of a managers job, how this is delivered can be harder where there is conflict. It should start with coaching but the message will have to become stronger if not listened to.

Katarn2000

I feel like it's important to note someone isn't 'given' a let's talk. It's not a warning or anything it's merely a record of a conversation. They replaced the old informal discussion and it isn't the same thing. There is literally no punishment or disciplinary value to a let's talk, it's purely optional for the manager and doesn't affect what they can do with disciplinary meetings etc.

All that happened is that the manager asked you not to do that again and wrote it down. More than reasonable thing to do.

lucgeo

A " let's talk" is a back door route to a disciplinary...it depends on the manager and the reasons behind it. If a colleague is continually receiving a let's talk, regarding the same issues, then it becomes part, and can be referred to, in the disciplinary process. If it was so informal, why have one? Why can't a colleague refuse to attend one? The same for a colleague, who can ask for one with their manager, making it a more formal "informal" and should their issues not be resolved from several meetings regarding the same issue, would form part of their grievance.

@Bubbles 1234
Your anxiety is making the whole situation worse, due to the nature of you being constantly anxious, fretting about what the day ahead holds, your whole focus on what may or may not happen or be said to you.
I would imagine it's constantly turning over in your thoughts, which is causing a downward spiral of depression and mental health. Add to this, you probably can't give or get a simple hug of support from a colleague or friend, and the issues are hugely magnified.
Have you considered seeking a transfer to a different store format? A bigger store, where you are not so 1 on 1 with a manager. You may have to take a step down, to be a CA, but part of a bigger dept or team, where you're not so much in the firing line every day. The hourly rate is less, but taking into account tax and NI contributions are also less, along with the possible health benefits to you, would it not be an option  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Solway

I’ve just received a final written warning for being bullied for the last year. No one was interested, manager liked the person doing the bullying. Finally after being chased at work by bully, I snapped. Shouted back. Now everything is my fault. Love the way tesco always twists things. Worse thing was I saw the final written warning typed out on the notes before the last meeting took place. Never had a meeting before, impeccable behaviour for 15 years. No justice

helpme

If the final written warning was already written out when you went into that meeting they have broken employment law, they have already found you guilty before even talking to you.

Solway

Thank you. Will appeal and use this information

lucgeo

Was it noted anywhere that the final written was typed out ready before the meeting commenced e.g. You or your rep commented on seeing it, or took photographic evidence?
Was the letter dated before your final warning was given?

If not, you'll have a hard time proving it was. By all means put in a grievance, but do your homework beforehand. The notes will have a time of adjournment for decision, and a reconvened time. If this was minimal, then the chances of them discussing, making the decision and having the letter typed out could prove in your favour.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Katarn2000

If the file is saved in the system which it probably is it would be a simple matter to see when the document was created.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Solway on 03-06-20, 01:02PM
I’ve just received a final written warning for being bullied for the last year. No one was interested, manager liked the person doing the bullying. Finally after being chased at work by bully, I snapped. Shouted back. Now everything is my fault. Love the way tesco always twists things. Worse thing was I saw the final written warning typed out on the notes before the last meeting took place. Never had a meeting before, impeccable behaviour for 15 years. No justice

If you've lodged grievances and complaints or there has been investigations to that effect with documentation and nothing was done, then they can't give you a final written warning, the good for goose good for gander principle applies, if his bullying entailed shouting or more egregious misconduct and it has been recorded, acknowledged and investigated and no warning was given, the same must apply to you.

Also, being chased at work sounds like you were scared for your own health and safety, if there was cctv images of this (and I would imagine there would be if they used cctv as evidence of you "shouting") then not only must you appeal this decision but also grievance the disciplining manager for not being impartial and excessive reprimanding, the Personnel manager will  then, if competent investigate, have the challenging conversations and succeed in performing a culture change, if not then the judge will take money from Tesco in a constructive unfair dismissal law suit and that will be that.

Tinkerbell1234

I have appealed waiting on outcome manager off for 4 weeks  so hopefully will be sorted by then  :thumbup: now tesco are supporting me now when did it change a shift leader can manage and performance manage another shift leader.

NightAndDay

Shift leaders don't have the authority to formally performance manage, a Team Manager at the very least can start the SYP process and that is only after they've had the training.

A shift leader (in Express) can only give lets talks, after 3 lets talks on the same issue it must be passed to the SM for the appropriate action.

Tinkerbell1234

I thought so yes can do lets talk on colleagues not on another shift leader well its obvious the manager still at it tells me im not allowed to manage staff not my job then tells us another shift leader will manage and perfomance manage them hes still trying to get me even tho hes off  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk