News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 06:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 538
Total: 542

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Quote from: stewright90 on 07-03-24, 10:59AM
Quote from: watersedge on 07-03-24, 10:34AMI dont know if its been mentioned here already, but does anybody know what the rate is for bank holiday working, and has it changed since our pay rise?
As far as I am aware (I never work them, so I am not 100%), bank holidays follow Sunday premiums so they will be down to 10% also.
Bank holidays are currently 25% and they remain at 25% with this new deal.

NightAndDay

A full time CA working every Sunday and every bank holiday would be on just over £24k a year, while not the most impressive of pay, it's still more than quite a few office jobs out there such as paralegal and some finance jobs. A lot of office jobs pay between £28-£30k a year.

It really isn't that bad at all in the greater scheme of things.

SAMCRO

How many full-time GAs do you think exist at Tesco now? Very few I'd say. Superstore I work at has 200+ GAs....2 of them have full-time contracts. Overtime only comes around at Christmas and the day before a visit.

Don't get me wrong, there are fews GAs who I personally know that are having a blast at Tesco. Good core hours, early shifts so they are not in the building after 3pm. Old contracts so sick paid from day one. They also use to that sick pay like annual holiday and rinse it every single year. They don't attend checkout calls and they barely get asked to do anything, it's practically free money for them.

barafear

Quote from: NightAndDay on 07-03-24, 02:30PMA full time CA working every Sunday and every bank holiday would be on just over £24k a year, while not the most impressive of pay, it's still more than quite a few office jobs out there such as paralegal and some finance jobs. A lot of office jobs pay between £28-£30k a year.

And like for like comparison with that office worker who works Mon-Fri 9-5 with no BHs or weekends.

Apples and pears!!

barafear

Interesting.....as usual the same old rhetoric spouted by Tesco and Udaws

"A Tesco spokesperson said: "We are investing over £300m in colleague pay, bringing our hourly rate to £12.02, which is significantly ahead of the national living wage, in a deal that has the full support of Usdaw.

"Our new rate is effective from our April pay period as set out in the HMRC guidelines, and we are fully compliant with all NLW requirements. We have a strong track record of making substantial investments in colleague pay and, since 2022, we have increased hourly pay by 26%, investing more than £750m in our colleagues."

"significantly ahead" = about 5%
"full support of Usdaw" - absolutely it has but yet in the same article we get a quote from Usdaw stating:

Daniel Adams, the national officer for the Usdaw union, which agreed the new pay deal, said: "Whilst we would have preferred that the company implemented this increase earlier, as Usdaw had originally requested, the regulations do allow them to make that decision.  - doesn't exactly sound like "full support"

As for this strong track record - if anyone goes back about 7 or 8 years ago - before the NLW really started to ramp up because the Govt grew some backbone - basically when the NMW only went up a few pence each year - and when it was first introduced it was at such a low level that even Tesco's base pay looked good - there was at least one year where Tesco gave us no rise at all - and other years where it was just a pittance.

Just managed to Google and find this article about our pay rise for 2016-17.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/02/tesco-store-staff-31-extra-basic-pay-but-cuts-bonuses

Funny how the same terms are used over and over again - and compared to now - since that time we've gone from 1.5x for Sunday to 1.1x and the "5% bonus" has done a burton!!

The only reason for any "substantial investment" is due to the NLW actually matching/beating inflation for the last few years.

londoner83

The only reason for a substantial pay rise is that the government has come to realise that unless the national minimum wages reflects the costs of living; taxpayers will thru Universial Credit have to top up low pay. Therefore each year they are substantially raising the NMW to pass those costs onto business and off of the taxpayer.

Jacks

Quote from: londoner83 on 08-03-24, 07:31AMThe only reason for a substantial pay rise is that the government has come to realise that unless the national minimum wages reflects the costs of living; taxpayers will thru Universial Credit have to top up low pay. Therefore each year they are substantially raising the NMW to pass those costs onto business and off of the taxpayer.
I have been saying that for years. The benefits system should be a safety net for us all not a system for big business to prop up their under paid staff.

Babs

lol
4 weeks working under minimum wage...
Can only mean, minimum work effort !
And I've no idea why they would increase personal discount allowance, what percentage actually uses it all?
Think what isn't used throughout the year, should then be given as like a bonus! But that'll never happen. Should have increased the discount instead.

barafear

As others have said on here, it's an empty(ish) gesture (raising our limit to £2k) but it looks great in print.
You're also correct about not getting any remaining discount back as a bonus - if that was the case, I'd have a lot of "backpay" owing to me. Even when the limit was £700 and less.....

rupert7

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tesco-workers-angry-as-pay-rise-delay-leaves-staff-earning-under-minimum-wage/ar-BB1jyn7y?ocid=msedgntp&pc=W022&cvid=bdc8978d508c4e55868d8b7da179db4b&ei=176, >:D tesco did not want this to come out has it looks bad on them, but they are passing the buck, saying the union had agTesco employee reached out to The Mirror to share their frustration noting that although it was not "illegal" it "surely must be immoral". There will be 220,000 Tesco workers missing out on an extra £1 an hour before the new rate is introduced at the end of April. Due to this, The Guardian estimates Tesco will be saving more than £17million.

The supermarket chain will also be saving 42p an hour - or overall £7million compared with if it paid the new legal minimum wage for those 21 and over. The new pay deal was negotiated and agreed upon by the Usdaw Union who said the new deal made Tesco workers "amongst the highest paid in the sector" to this but they are just has bad  has each other, the one thing that comes to mind which ever way you look at it, looks good for their profits,

1982dave

Like I've said previously the union are in Tescos back pocket 17 million saved in one month is pretty scandalous really give it to the staff who are keeping the company ticking over not saving it for the end of year profit rubbish when the bigwigs will get a hefty bonus while the  staff miss the first month or so of there higher wage ... usdaw not fit for purpose

1982dave

Quote from: barafear on 07-03-24, 03:39PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 07-03-24, 02:30PMA full time CA working every Sunday and every bank holiday would be on just over £24k a year, while not the most impressive of pay, it's still more than quite a few office jobs out there such as paralegal and some finance jobs. A lot of office jobs pay between £28-£30k a year.

And like for like comparison with that office worker who works Mon-Fri 9-5 with no BHs or weekends.

Apples and pears!!
24k I do 35 hours I just worked mine out I'm just getting 22k and that's working 7 hours on a Sunday

BritishRacingGreen

As a matter of interest - how is paternity leave paid - as an average of previous wages or just basic weekly contract hours?

SAMCRO

Yes a legal loophole means that Tesco has pulled a blinder and will be saving themselves £17million next month by paying their 300,000+ staff less than minimum wage.

How does USDAW have any members? This pay deal is a disgrace.

barafear

Quote from: 1982dave on 08-03-24, 02:31PM

Apples and pears!!
24k I do 35 hours I just worked mine out I'm just getting 22k and that's working 7 hours on a Sunday
Did you include working every BH too?

1982dave

Quote from: barafear on 08-03-24, 04:54PM
Quote from: 1982dave on 08-03-24, 02:31PM

Apples and pears!!
Did you include working every BH too?
yup Good Friday Easter Monday the 2 in may and August one I do 7hour days and unless I'm missing something the 3£ premium for 7hours is 21£ extra per day for bank holidays across the 5 it's 105£ extra

Bikerguy

Tesco f****ng staff over under paying nm wage they save £17million ,everylittle helps lol

1982dave

Wages before tax is around 1725 x 13 = 22425 note the before tax using a calculator after tax its 19800

Loki

Quote from: SAMCRO on 08-03-24, 04:30PMYes a legal loophole means that Tesco has pulled a blinder and will be saving themselves £17million next month by paying their 300,000+ staff less than minimum wage.

An absolute disgrace it is. Tesco clearly failed in their attempt to portray themselves as a generous employer. It's bad enough they've yet again slashed the Sunday premium, frozen skill payments and night premiums. But for them to use a legal loophole to delay the pay rise leaving the majority of their store workers being paid less than the living wage for a month is callous and truly demonstrates what they really think of their employees. We've known it for years... now the media can see it too.

As for Usdaw... they continue to fold, making pathetic excuses for Tesco instead of making any real attempt to fight them, resulting in s**tting on its members and reps.

What kind of trade union recommends and endorses its members to not have a vote on pay and instead prefers to be in partnership with a company that exploits its workers.

It's one sick demented joke.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

1982dave

Quote from: Loki on 08-03-24, 08:10PM
Quote from: SAMCRO on 08-03-24, 04:30PMYes a legal loophole means that Tesco has pulled a blinder and will be saving themselves £17million next month by paying their 300,000+ staff less than minimum wage.

An absolute disgrace it is. Tesco clearly failed in their attempt to portray themselves as a generous employer. It's bad enough they've yet again slashed the Sunday premium, frozen skill payments and night premiums. But for them to use a legal loophole to delay the pay rise leaving the majority of their store workers being paid less than the living wage for a month is callous and truly demonstrates what they really think of their employees. We've known it for years... now the media can see it too.

As for Usdaw... they continue to fold, making pathetic excuses for Tesco instead of making any real attempt to fight them, resulting in s**tting on its members and reps.

What kind of trade union recommends and endorses its members to not have a vote on pay and instead prefers to be in partnership with a company that exploits its workers.

couldn't have put it better myself how people still pay into usdaw every month baffles me when they are not fit for purpose

rupert7

app gone about the pay rise was it cause strikes were mentioned? (-*-)

Nightworker23

Quote from: rupert7 on 08-03-24, 08:45PMapp gone about the pay rise was it cause strikes were mentioned? (-*-)
You're right.
Just checked "My Tesco" and the only thing on there about the pay award is refering to lady years deal.
I wonder if they're back tracking?

Duff McKagan

Quote from: Loki on 08-03-24, 08:10PM

100% agree, its a disgrace to make us wait pretty much 2 months to receive any benefit of the pay rise, our council tax increases won't wait until the end of may, our rent and other increases at the start of the financial year won't wait until the end of may. People are at their wits end trying to figure out how they will pay the bills as it is without having to wait for their money.

1982dave

Just reading now on mirror online and a few other outlets about this aswell it's extremely poor by Tesco and by the so called union backing this ... it would be hillarious if strike action was balloted for but sadly in all the years I've worked for Tesco I've never seen such happen and doubt it will

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk