Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-04-24, 07:17AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,434
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 312
Total: 315

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

Without going on CH I believe it was meant to be a trial until WK26 originally?

It is/was on the consultation notes from the changes earlier on in the year.

Was just for night TMs and SLs - full time night colleagues aren't included.

Sherwoodforest

So Asda, Sainsbury's recognise night workers wellbeing with 4 nights for full timers but Tesco only recognise managers wellbeing (then only if it suits the business though).
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

whatajoke2019

I must admit I'm surprised we haven't (yet) gone down the path of only being night premiums from Midnight through 5am, like Sainsbury's do.

TPTB will only care when they are trying to find other possible avenues of saving £££s. Until it affects them it won't be of interest.

NightAndDay

Back when I did nights in 2013, the premium was £2.10 an hour between midnight and 6am and the basic pay for a ca was something like £6.42 an hour, in other words night premium was roughly 1/3 of the base rate. Now It's as far as I'm aware £2.42 an hour and the base rate is £11 an hour, the base rate not keeping up with inflation is bad enough but the night premium has gone from being 1/3 of base rate to just over 20%. I wouldn't work nights anymore, no incentive.

Elly1519

NightAndDay
Night premium is £2.30 an hour with a one off £2.30 payment if colleagues work between the hours of midnight to 6.00 am. If they start at 1.00 am or finish at 5.00 am (for example) the extra payment isn't payable. 
Basic Pay is £11.02 per hour.

NightAndDay

Thanks for the correction.

My point still stands though, night premium hasn't kept up with inflation or even the basic pay as a proportion.

Duff McKagan

And when you consider that your breaks are always taken out of the hours for which you'd earn night premium, irrespective of when you actually take them, means you only actually get paid 4.5 hours night premium plus the 'extra' night premium payment for a standard 10-7 shift... £12.65 an night before tax... and they wonder why they struggle to recruit night workers. 🤔

BobbyDazler

Usdaw have totally done a number on all Tesco staff.

whatajoke2019

I can't quite remember if it was on colleague help or posted on here but wasn't the justification in the removal of nights in some stores (a couple of years ago now) because of the "problems retaining staff on nights"?

Sherwoodforest

@whatajoke thought the reasons were cost saving and having the colleagues in  during day when customers actually shop,

whatajoke2019

That's correct.

But there is/was a document (either on here or elsewhere) whereby they'd used those reasons to justify the removal of night fill in some more stores.

madness

Quote from: Duff McKagan on 28-07-23, 09:56AMAnd when you consider that your breaks are always taken out of the hours for which you'd earn night premium, irrespective of when you actually take them, means you only actually get paid 4.5 hours night premium plus the 'extra' night premium payment for a standard 10-7 shift... £12.65 an night before tax... and they wonder why they struggle to recruit night workers. 🤔
When you could use the frog system I used to always move the break into the earleir or later hours to make sure maximum pay for my night colleagues.

Sherwoodforest

@whatajoke it,l come down to store profitibility id of thought,surely each store has a set target(sales etc) to put profit into the pot,with pay rises thats going to influence the decision,streamlining can only go so far in cutting hours during the day operation,i work nights and seen massive recruitment last 2 months,but were dot com store

Duff McKagan

Quote from: madness on 29-07-23, 08:32PM
Quote from: Duff McKagan on 28-07-23, 09:56AMAnd when you consider that your breaks are always taken out of the hours for which you'd earn night premium, irrespective of when you actually take them, means you only actually get paid 4.5 hours night premium plus the 'extra' night premium payment for a standard 10-7 shift... £12.65 an night before tax... and they wonder why they struggle to recruit night workers. 🤔
When you could use the frog system I used to always move the break into the earleir or later hours to make sure maximum pay for my night colleagues.
Very kind of you but I'm certain most don't do that, I've certainly never had it done for me

Duff McKagan

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 29-07-23, 08:34PM@whatajoke it,l come down to store profitibility id of thought,surely each store has a set target(sales etc) to put profit into the pot,with pay rises thats going to influence the decision,streamlining can only go so far in cutting hours during the day operation,i work nights and seen massive recruitment last 2 months,but were dot com store
I'm in a dotcom store and we can't recruit for love nor money on nights, nobody wants to do it, we have people leaving and there's nobody replacing them. Surely there must be a point where they just give up on night fill....we are regularly trying to fill a superstore with 6 people

T2019sackallmanagers

Having cut full time hours from working in store, who wants to work nights for a few hours here and there for a measly £13p/hr? It may suit some part time mums who claim mainly benefits, but that's about it. Being on a flexi contract working nights is no good, as you have to prepare if you are going to go into work. Nobody lives in "night mode" and stays up the best part of 20 hrs. It is not good for the persons health wise and no good for productivity in order to fill the store as you'll most likely be in zombie mode come 1 am.
All this done by head office who haven't a clue and come up with "twilight fill" as the answer. Even more of a unsociable hours to work for even less pay again. The company is delusional 🥴🥴🥴

Attilla

Nueia

Does anyone know what is the minimum and maximum salary for team managers, lead managers,express managers and store managers?

NightAndDay

Minimum for Express Store Manager is now £30k a year and Maximum as far as I'm aware is now £48k a year (not including fuel sites).

TMs as far as I'm aware range from £28k a year to £42k a year.

Not sure on the others.

Nueia

Quote from: NightAndDay on 07-08-23, 12:44PMMinimum for Express Store Manager is now £30k a year and Maximum as far as I'm aware is now £48k a year (not including fuel sites).

TMs as far as I'm aware range from £28k a year to £42k a year.

Not sure on the others.
Thanks for that

With the TM salary to get 42k would that be a night manager who's also getting night premium?

Or can a tm salary for days and nights both go up to 42k basic and then if it was a night tm it would then be 42 plus night premium?

NightAndDay

That's not including night TMs, you're looking at TMs in Busy London Extra Stores who gets exceeds regularly and have at least 10 years service. Very few would be on that much, and any that are are likely to be making the jump to either Express SM or Lead.

Night Owl

LM I worked with until they took redundancy along with myself in April was on around £50k as a LM, was offered £42k to step down to TM in a complex super store doing £900k a week.

Happyguy

There's a team manager in my store who is on just over £50k p.a. I know this because he is very happy to show people his payslips.
What makes it more annoying is he took redundancy in 2015 and came back with his original length of service reinstated so if he gets it again he'll be in line for another huge payoff. The stupid fool used to come in and do "Super Sundays" after he got laid off but before he rejoined because "he was still a shareholder and loves the company".

He's bullet-proof as he is personal mates with the old SD.

jonty

How did he get to come back with his original length of service?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Happyguy on 16-08-23, 09:13PMThere's a team manager in my store who is on just over £50k p.a. I know this because he is very happy to show people his payslips.
What makes it more annoying is he took redundancy in 2015 and came back with his original length of service reinstated so if he gets it again he'll be in line for another huge payoff. The stupid fool used to come in and do "Super Sundays" after he got laid off but before he rejoined because "he was still a shareholder and loves the company".

He's bullet-proof as he is personal mates with the old SD.
That's more than the upper limit of Express Store Managers, I've heard tale of TMs on relatively silly money but I take such claims with a pinch of salt, especially because the upper limit on Express SM salaries has only gone up from £45k a year a year ago.

Your story strikes a very close resemblance to NowAnExManagers story.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk