News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:58PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 294
Total: 296

Substitute days

Started by dfl, 06-05-21, 02:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

This years christmas day and boxing day fall on a saturday and sunday therefore if im correct there is 2 substitute days of monday and tuesday for them, my normal days off are already saturday and sunday, so does this mean i should not be using 2 of my bank holidays for the saturday and sunday and should still get the monday tuesday instead, im sure last year there was one day like this and i got told 1 of my bank holidays needed to be used at the weekend when im not normally working, unfair ?
DFL

Rad

There is already a thread on this

As far as I know it's not been fully announced yet.  There's 2 separate issues I believe to be resolved.

1.  Firstly the boxing day bank holiday will be on the Monday.  The initial communication when this was announced was that the monday would become the bank holiday monday and that if colleagues who were scheduled to work the Sunday (Boxing day) they can request the day off like a normal day.  This suggests that it may not being treated the way it has been 7 years ago where colleagues were given the choice of working Boxing day, eg use hol, bh, day off, unpaid etc.  The initial comms suggest that if x amount of colleagues were to book a holiday then it could potentially get filled up and requests denied.  Im sure this is an oversight and will be rectified prior to the xmas working arrangements meeting in October.

2.  The issue you are talking about, I am not sure if this substitute day thing is still a thing for colleagues on fixed rotas.   I asked the question on the other thread but Im unsure if it was answered.  Where does the line get drawn for 2,3,4 or 5 day workers for substitute days?

Davethebave

Your BHs won't be used for the Saturday and Sunday since you are already off. You will get to book these two days elsewhere.

jonty

Just seen this in a Tesco weekly email:

As part of our plans for the festive period, selected stores will open on Boxing Day. Colleagues can work on a voluntary basis and will be paid a premium hourly rate. Please speak to your line manager if you're interested.

forrestgimp

the premium will probably be a stiff handshake.

jonty

A tub of Roses LOL

BUY TESLA STOCK

Jacks

I have been asking this since the start of the year and can not get a straight answer from Tesco or USDAW. On the ACAS and government websites it mentions substitute days but does not make it clear how this works in this situation.

NightAndDay

People who work nights and bank holidays are only mugging themselves off, especially from next year when we all get the increase in nic payments, even more of your premium swallowed up by inflation and taxes.

bornfree

There is information about bank holidays 2021/2022 on Colleague Help, which seems to explain how Xmas and Boxing Day will be worked out this year.
For our Store and Distribution Centre colleagues:
Saturday 25th December will be classed as a bank holiday and we will follow the same working arrangements as we do normally for Christmas Day. (The same will apply for Saturday 1st January – New Years Day).
Sunday 26th December in line with our Partnership Agreement is not classed as a bank holiday. Any colleague wishing not to work on Sunday 26th December 2021 may choose to take the day as holiday, arrange a shift swap if possible or take unpaid leave if that is their preference (in line with our Holiday Policy). Where the store is scheduled to be closed on this day, managers should speak to any affected colleagues to agree how they are taking the time: as unpaid leave, holiday or by making the time up later in that week (in the same way as we do for Easter Sunday).
Monday 27th December will be classed as the Boxing Day bank holiday and you should follow the normal bank holiday working arrangements.
Which I assume means that day workers can have 25 and 27 off as bank holidays, and 26 as unpaid, holiday or work time back.
For night workers, it says:

In terms of booking the night off and which day will be classed as the bank holiday:
For those colleagues on the 'Work & Pay' payroll system, the night going into the Bank Holiday will be used (for example on Christmas Day, the Friday night (24th December) into the Saturday will be the night the colleague can book off work using their bank holiday entitlement if they do not wish to come in).
I am assuming this means nights will take 24 into 25 and 26 into 27 as bank holidays, with 25 into 26 as unpaid, holiday or time owing.
Is that how others read this? And if I am correct, when do the shelves get refilled between Xmas Eve and store opening on Boxing Day morning?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk